WT Rye 81 proof?!

Josh
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Maybe they are planning to discontinue the 101, but they want to give themselves enough wiggle room to bring it back if the 81's sales suck. That could explain the conflicting remarks from different arms of the company.

I want to complain, but I don't think I can until I taste them side by side, maybe the 81 will be better. No. wait a minute. Higher proof is ALWAYS better. Don't these guys know how to make whiskey?

There have been differing claims about Baby Saz but nothing definite from BT. I don't drink a lot of the Saz but my impression is that it has been trending younger.

FWIW, I contacted BT's brand manager a month or so ago about the contents of Charter Private Reserve Blended whiskey and was told that it contained a 6 Year Rye whiskey. The only rye BT has is Sazerac, right? Unofficially, I would say that confirms Sazs age.

FWIW, I contacted BT's brand manager a month or so ago about the contents of Charter Private Reserve Blended whiskey and was told that it contained a 6 Year Rye whiskey. The only rye BT has is Sazerac, right? Unofficially, I would say that confirms Sazs age.

How does that confirm anything beside the fact that the Charter blend has 6 y/o rye in it?

Baby Saz is a straight with NAS and it's not a BiB or SB so BT can put whatever age rye they want into it as long as it's over 4 y/o. I don't doubt that there is 6+ y/o rye in Saz, but when people say that it's "trending younger" they mean that there is a higher proportion of 4 or 5 y/o stuff in the mix.

That could explain the conflicting remarks from different arms of the company.

Or from the same individual!

I wonder if Jodi knows how big of an internet celebrity she has become.

I've contacted the PR department again and we'll see what they tell me. What do you want from a bunch of San Franciscans who only knows from selling vodka?

Follow her @confusedcampari :lol:

THIS is very funny! :slappin:

situation is not. fwiw, as noted previously, the bourbon purchaser for the BIG chain here was told that the 101 was being discontinued and being replaced with the 81. 8yo and 12yo disappearing from US shelves. proofs being lowered. at the end of the day, it really is about the money. i'm glad i bunkdered a good number of the 101 at a discounted price. i don't need another bottle on my dusty radar (even though i'm pretty much giving up on dusty hunting in my area). bunkered the rittbib as well - don't want to deal with shortages and possible price increase.

I find it hard to believe that, in today's market, anyone would put 6 yo rye Saz in a blend... Unless there was something wrong / inferior about the rye.

It could be Barton rye.... They've been making it for years.

I find it hard to believe that, in today's market, anyone would put 6 yo rye Saz in a blend... Unless there was something wrong / inferior about the rye.

It could be Barton rye.... They've been making it for years.

I went and found the email. Although not 100% confirmed due to the use of "thinks" but...I am convinced:

"Hello,

Our brand manager said he thinks it was 6 year old Sazerac Rye, 8 Year old Buffalo Trace, and some 7 year old Weller. I hope this helps!

Nan Harnice

Consumer Affairs Associate

Buffalo Trace Distillery

113 Great Buffalo Trace

Frankfort, KY 40601"

How does that confirm anything beside the fact that the Charter blend has 6 y/o rye in it?

Baby Saz is a straight with NAS and it's not a BiB or SB so BT can put whatever age rye they want into it as long as it's over 4 y/o. I don't doubt that there is 6+ y/o rye in Saz, but when people say that it's "trending younger" they mean that there is a higher proportion of 4 or 5 y/o stuff in the mix.

It probably doesn't confirm anything because I didn't give the exact quote. Look at the previous post to see the quote from the brand manager.

I too will be emailing WT to see what response I get. Hopefully if they keep getting inquisitions, they will realize their terrible error.

Just emailed this to them:

Greetings,

I am emailing for information about your Wild Turkey 101 proof rye. As I understand it, this rye is being replaced by an 81 proof rendition? My question is this- Is the 101 proof rye officially being discontinued or will it come back into production at a later date? I’ve been reading a bit online, but I feel the need to finally go right to the source and find out what the real deal is here. I must put a vote in for keeping the 101 proof rye in production. The higher proof certainly lends itself well to the flavors of the rye and it seems high proof ryes are the “new cool thing.†I don’t know if I will buy a bottle of the 81, to be honest. I may move towards Rittenhouse Rye or the new Knob Creek rye as I find the high proof ryes are very rich and spicy in comparison to lower proof ryes. While I am a big Wild Turkey bourbon and rye fan, I find it difficult to swallow discontinuing the 101 proof rye. Thank you for your time and I hope to hear from you soon!

Thank you!

Ethan Smith.

We'll see what happens!

I have confirmation from the PR Department that what they told me is, in fact, the case but that a lot of people (like Jodi) are jumping to the conclusion that the product is being discontinued for good. It isn't. All of it that has been bottled and distributed is all that will be bottled and distributed in 2012, but Wild Turkey 101 Rye will be back, and as for a shortage at retail, it may never actually disappear in many places.

Remember, these are vodka guys for whom 'production' means bottling.

They mentioned, and I know this is true, that delisting and substitution in Control States is common when a product goes on hiatus.

I'm so confused by all of this. It does appear though that Chuck has finally gotten to the root of this and it does look like we will see the 101 rye again some day! Now the question is- what day?

I went and found the email. Although not 100% confirmed due to the use of "thinks" but...I am convinced:

"Hello,

Our brand manager said he thinks it was 6 year old Sazerac Rye, 8 Year old Buffalo Trace, and some 7 year old Weller. I hope this helps!

Nan Harnice

Buffalo Trace Distillery

113 Great Buffalo Trace

Frankfort, KY 40601"

"I am convinced" Really?? You must own a sh-t ton of Sazerac stock.

"Hello,

Nan Harnice

Buffalo Trace Distillery

113 Great Buffalo Trace

Frankfort, KY 40601"

Are you convinced that Buffalo Trace is 8 years old?

"I am convinced" Really?? You must own a sh-t ton of Sazerac stock.

Cool yer guns cowboy. Take a stroll throuh the internets. See how many instances of 6 yr Sazerac come up. Even Wikipedia lists it as 6.

Who really cares or did you not read where I said "FWIW?". So its not worth anything to you.

Are you convinced that Buffalo Trace is 8 years old?

Just because there is no age statment doesnt mean it isnt 8 or 9 years old. I am convinced it's not my favorite bourbon. ;). At any age...

Either way I have a case coming thursday. PM me if you are in Atlanta and want to share the bounty

As a matter of personal policy, I don't believe any age claims that aren't on the label and I will no longer carry that water for the producers. Can I get a hear hear?

As a matter of personal policy, I don't believe any age claims that aren't on the label and I will no longer carry that water for the producers. Can I get a hear hear?

Cool yer guns cowboy. Take a stroll throuh the internets. See how many instances of 6 yr Sazerac come up. Even Wikipedia lists it as 6.

Who really cares or did you not read where I said "FWIW?". So its not worth anything to you.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.