WT Rye 81 proof?!

Josh
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Chuck - that MM has been on allocation for the past 25 years is interesting given that it seems plentiful. Have they just been very good with the logistics?

You beat me to it. Same question. MM is every where and Inever see a dent in it's allocation on store shelves.

Hidden

I think the fact that MM is allocated, just means that they only have juice for 900,000 cases a year, but have orders for 1,000,000. Just theoretical numbers, but that's how I interpret it.

One, Janice's message, as compared to Jodi's, shows how this board directly affects the industry. I'm sure there was a bit of a flurry at Campari America this week as the directive went out to answer all WT 101 rye inquiries thusly. Congratulations! You all are players.

OMG! OMG! OMG! i'm a playa! i'm a PLAYA!:bigeyes:

You beat me to it. Same question. MM is every where and Inever see a dent in it's allocation on store shelves.

same here. when something is allocated in texas (ritt bib for example, or weller 12), i don't see them on the shelves from time to time. the weller 12 - we get more than other areas of the country but most stores won't have handles. even the really small stores here ALWAYS have MM.

I've never seen anything but an abundance of MM both at on and off-premise establishments.

I've never seen anything but an abundance of MM both at on and off-premise establishments.

I think your local store owner would like to get 20 bottles a week (for example) from the distributor but only gets 17 because it is on allocation. The consumer will not notice it, but the owner would say that his stock of MM is thinner than he would like.

FWIW, my stash.........

Nice. What's the price in PA? $17.25 here in Ohio

Chuck - that MM has been on allocation for the past 25 years is interesting given that it seems plentiful. Have they just been very good with the logistics?

That's why I keep making the point that all 'shortage' means is that the distillery can't deliver as much as people order and when a customer says "we want X" they answer, "you can have Y." That doesn't mean the product is suddenly going to disappear at retail. Do people, knowing how it works, sometimes order more than they want in hopes of getting the amount they really want? Of course they do. Do retailers and distributors sometimes 'stock up,' much as consumers do? Of course they do.

I would never suggest that people need to understand the booze business in order to enjoy booze but if you choose to comment on the business, it helps to know how it really works.

Was on sale for $17.99 a bottle, now it's back up to the regular $19.99 if you can find it.

17.10 in my county. :grin:

Ohio sets base price that doesn't include local taxes, so the price can vary from county to county depending on the county tax rate.

That's why I keep making the point that all 'shortage' means is that the distillery can't deliver as much as people order and when a customer says "we want X" they answer, "you can have Y." That doesn't mean the product is suddenly going to disappear at retail. Do people, knowing how it works, sometimes order more than they want in hopes of getting the amount they really want? Of course they do. Do retailers and distributors sometimes 'stock up,' much as consumers do? Of course they do.

I would never suggest that people need to understand the booze business in order to enjoy booze but if you choose to comment on the business, it helps to know how it really works.

Thanks for the reply. I'm sure that clears up a lot of confusion for many people here. I think many of us try to understand the business, but it is different enough in some aspects that terminology and strategy don't directly translate from other business models. We appreciate the insight!

Thanks for the reply. I'm sure that clears up a lot of confusion for many people here. I think many of us try to understand the business, but it is different enough in some aspects that terminology and strategy don't directly translate from other business models. We appreciate the insight!

Stopped in to my local chain and all the WT101 is gone. Probably cleaned out by sales, as I saw an old label WT80 in the bargain bin for $10.

Stopped in to my local chain and all the WT101 is gone. Probably cleaned out by sales, as I saw an old label WT80 in the bargain bin for $10.

I know a place that has two bottles left, but its in Dallas TX

While I haven't checked everywhere here in Atlanta, it seems that all the WT101 Rye is gone. Any idea when the WT81 Rye is going to show up?

The distributor here is definitely out. Gonna have to dig some up in unsavory areas of town. Which is fine for unsavory types like myself

The distributor here is definitely out. Gonna have to dig some up in unsavory areas of town. Which is fine for unsavory types like myself

Has anybody actually seen it in a store yet?

Come on, we only call you that to your face. :grin:

Picked up three bottles at a local liquor store today, they looked like they had been sitting there for some time.

Went by my local liquor store last night and there was a sign at both WT Rye 101 and Ritt BiB that said distributor out of stock. I wonder if the sudden availability of Ritt BiB a couple of months ago was a very temporary thing.

Went by my local liquor store last night and there was a sign at both WT Rye 101 and Ritt BiB that said distributor out of stock. I wonder if the sudden availability of Ritt BiB a couple of months ago was a very temporary thing.

That may have been the drop for the year. That's how it's going now with rye. If you happen to get there on the day it drops, it looks like they have plenty, but when it's gone it's gone until the next release.

As someone else mentioned, the distilleries are still only making rye maybe four to six days a year, half in each distilling season. All of it gets barreled at the same time and all of it matures at the same time so this is probably what we're going to see until demand and supply even out a bit more, one of two releases a year of most rye brands.

I stopped by one of my usual haunts in Minneapolis this afternoon and they had the new 81 proof rye for $19.99. I don't recall precisely how the 101 was priced because I never bought it there before, but I think it was the same price.

As curious as I am to test their claims that the 81 will taste better, I'm going to have a really hard time paying the same price for it as the 101 was. I'm curious about how it will be priced elsewhere-- I had a couple places where I could find it for $16.99, when it was in stock.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.