WT Rye 81 proof?!

Josh
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I stopped by one of my usual haunts in Minneapolis this afternoon and they had the new 81 proof rye for $19.99. I don't recall precisely how the 101 was priced because I never bought it there before, but I think it was the same price.

As curious as I am to test their claims that the 81 will taste better, I'm going to have a really hard time paying the same price for it as the 101 was. I'm curious about how it will be priced elsewhere-- I had a couple places where I could find it for $16.99, when it was in stock.

16.99 is a great price. when the 101 is available here, it goes for about $20. i bought a case recently bc i didn't want to deal with either a discontinuation or shortage and they gave me 10% off.

I just talked to both Jimmy and Eddie Russell. There probably won't be any more 101 rye until 2013, but it will be back. Saw the new one. Label does not have a big '81' on it like the bourbon does, though otherwise it's pretty similar.

Jimmy was also excited to tell me that they just broke ground for the new bottling hall. He hates having it bottled in Arkansas.

I just talked to both Jimmy and Eddie Russell. There probably won't be any more 101 rye until 2013, but it will be back. Saw the new one. Label does not have a big '81' on it like the bourbon does, though otherwise it's pretty similar.

Jimmy was also excited to tell me that they just broke ground for the new bottling hall. He hates having it bottled in Arkansas.

Good news. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for a year. I probably won't be buying the 81 at $20 a pop unless it gets rave reviews, though.

At any rate I am done beating this dead horse.:cool:

I don't drink the 101 stuff. But, for a lousy 20 bucks I'll pick up a bottle of the 81, and see what I think.

WT 101 Rye just got restocked in a couple of stores around here, to the tune of 20-30 bottles each. No need to reinforce your roof for skies that are falling...

I've never been able to find the 101 around me so it's no loss to me personally, but I do feel your angst. I did pick up a bottle of 81 today. I'll Have to give it a few drinks before I judge it. It's not knocking my socks off so far though.

I was relieved when I read the online inventory of my closest stores, they listed they had restocked with plenty of the WT 101. Unfortunately, when I got to the store, there was no 101 but the WT 81 Rye!!!

I was relieved when I read the online inventory of my closest stores, they listed they had restocked with plenty of the WT 101. Unfortunately, when I got to the store, there was no 101 but the WT 81 Rye!!!

Wow, I shouldn't have passed up the half dozen or so bottles I've seen in the past few weeks. I put too much trust in Montgomery County sometimes.

Wow, I shouldn't have passed up the half dozen or so bottles I've seen in the past few weeks. I put too much trust in Montgomery County sometimes.

The really scary thing is they had this priced and labeled (the store's label below the bottles still says WT 101 rye, as does the website) as if this WERE the 101 rye....at $19.95. So no price drop on the WT 81 rye. Weren't most of us expecting SOME sort of a price drop with the cut in proof? I don't think the store was trying to deceive us, I honestly think they didn't notice the difference.

Unless it goes on sale or I buy a bunch of different stuff approaching a case (they give you a case discount including mixed cases), I probably won't be trying this anytime soon. When you can get comparably proofed Pikesville or Beam rye for less than half of this price, I'm just not a believer that this will be twice as good.

The really scary thing is they had this priced and labeled (the store's label below the bottles still says WT 101 rye, as does the website) as if this WERE the 101 rye....at $19.95. So no price drop on the WT 81 rye. Weren't most of us expecting SOME sort of a price drop with the cut in proof? I don't think the store was trying to deceive us, I honestly think they didn't notice the difference.

I've seen the label (says "RYE", not "81") and I was there when Eddie talked about the change. I think that Campari is planning to slide this into the Rye-Formerly-Known-As-101 slot, including its pricing. If Chuck's information is correct and the 101 comes back in 2013, I would expect a new label and a new (higher) price point.

While this sucks, it's no different than potato chips and candy bars shrinking in serving size at the same price point.

Saw this today at a local store too. Same price as the 101. The packaging looks similar to their new styles too.

I think you can count on it that when the 101 rye reappears, it will be in new packaging and at a higher price.

I think you can count on it that when the 101 rye reappears, it will be in new packaging and at a higher price.

So do you think it would it replace the current product, then? Because I can't see them having three ryes in the stable.

Including the RR, there are three. Whether in new label or returning old label (2013), you have 81, 101, & RR.

Including the RR, there are three. Whether in new label or returning old label (2013), you have 81, 101, & RR.

That's exactly my point. Why have both the 81 and 101 in such a small segment? So would the 101 replace the 81 when it comes back?

And Kevin is spot on with the label. It's all about the "Rye" not about the proof-- in direct contrast to the bourbons where the 81 and the 101 are quite prominent.

That's exactly my point. Why have both the 81 and 101 in such a small segment? So would the 101 replace the 81 when it comes back?

And Kevin is spot on with the label. It's all about the "Rye" not about the proof-- in direct contrast to the bourbons where the 81 and the 101 are quite prominent.

Hard to believe they would go to that much trouble for a 12-18 month stopgap. I would think that both will remain and the 101 availability will vary with supply.

So do you think it would it replace the current product, then? Because I can't see them having three ryes in the stable.

Yes, it will replace the current product but it won't really be a new product itself, just a new label consistent with the new family look.

WT doesn't have any control over this, but my guess is that distributors are steering what 101 Rye they have toward the on-premise customers. That's because a liquor store will usually let you back in after you've been gone for awhile but a bar might not.

just picked up the new wt 81 rye. Haven't tasted it yet but it is clearly lighter in color and costs a dollar more.

So you're saying they created Rye 81 for one year or so? That makes zero sense.

Of course I'm not saying that. Perhaps I misunderstood the question. When 101 returns, WT will have three rye expressions, RR Rye, WT Rye 81, and WT Rye 101, but there won't be an additional new label 101. The old 101 won't return in its present form. That's not from them, by the way, that's my conjecture.

Gee, misunderstandings can happen so easily. Let's quickly crucify each other about it.

Of course I'm not saying that. Perhaps I misunderstood the question. When 101 returns, WT will have three rye expressions, RR Rye, WT Rye 81, and WT Rye 101, but there won't be an additional new label 101. The old 101 won't return in its present form. That's not from them, by the way, that's my conjecture.

Gee, misunderstandings can happen so easily. Let's quickly crucify each other about it.

Ok, first, 3 ryes is what I expected, once 101 returns. That is what I replied to Brisko's question. Second, you lost me with the 101. When it returns, you say it won't be in its present form. Ok, that would mean new label 101 Rye, but you said that there won't be additional new label 101.

I'm understanding this to mean one new label 101(no additional = 2nd), new label 81, and RR. The word "additional" is throwing me off as right now there is no 101 label(not talking about bottles already in distribution/retail) and whenever it does return it will be an additional label to the current 2, 81 & RR.

We're saying the exact same thing in response to Brisko's question. The WT ryes are RR, 81 and 101. The 101 will probably have a new label and a higher price the next time they bottle it, whenever that is.

just picked up the new wt 81 rye. Haven't tasted it yet but it is clearly lighter in color and costs a dollar more.

Ok, to my unsophisticated palette it is good but clearly taste like watered down WT Rye 101, nothing more or less

Ok, to my unsophisticated palette it is good but clearly taste like watered down WT Rye 101, nothing more or less

Less whiskey for more money. A-B has made a lot of money doing that in the beer world.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.