WT Rye 81 proof?!

Josh
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It seems many of our threads are going like this:

Chung Mee: Opium is my business. The bridge mean more traffic. More traffic mean more money. More money mean more power.

Lawrence Bourne III: Yeah, well, before I commit any of that to memory, would there be anything in this for me?

Chung Mee: Speed is important in business. Time is money.

Lawrence Bourne III: You said opium was money.

Chung Mee: Money is Money.

Lawrence Bourne III: Well then, what is time again?

Stopped at my local store today, WT RYE 81, damn. I've been picking up 1-2 bottles of 101 per week since the news broke. Left a single bottle of 101 behind Sat, I knew it was a mistake!

Stopped at my local store today, WT RYE 81, damn. I've been picking up 1-2 bottles of 101 per week since the news broke. Left a single bottle of 101 behind Sat, I knew it was a mistake!

Not to worry.. they will still be offering the WT Rye 101, they just won't be making any:grin:

Not to worry.. they will still be offering the WT Rye 101, they just won't be making any:grin:

Unfortunately it won't be any time soon.

Unfortunately it won't be any time soon.

Sadly, it won't ever be again .... at least as an expression or at price we will recognize...

Sadly, it won't ever be again .... at least as an expression or at price we will recognize...

That's why i decided to bunker one....JUST in case. They will no doubt change the label and price...I would question what the contents will be.

is the Reserve Rye any better? I can find a bottle of that.

That's why i decided to bunker one....JUST in case. They will no doubt change the label and price...I would question what the contents will be.

is the Reserve Rye any better? I can find a bottle of that.

I like it but I'm the very vocal minority here.:lol:

I like it but I'm the very vocal minority here.:lol:

Well, just as long as your palate is like mine, then it's all good. :)

Well, just as long as your palate is like mine, then it's all good. :)

Hard to say:lol: but you should read this thread to get some opinions on the 101 vs the RR. My notes are on page 2.

One of the stores I stopped in yesterday had the new 81 @ ~$20, the 101 had been marked up to ~$30 and the Baby Saz was near $40.

One reason I never bought the WT 101 rye as often as I could have is price. In Indiana, even when regular WT 101 can be found on sale sometimes for around $18, the rye right next to it would allways be $25+ (never any sale). As a matter of fact, just the other day I passes up a fully stocked shelf of WT 101 rye. I didn't buy a single one, but for $5 less, I was very happy to take home some Rittenhouse BIB.

Picked up 2 more 101s tonight.They had 6-8 more on the shelf. Any Dayton,OH area SBers interested, pm me.

Whether she's gone forever or becoming a woman I can't recognize, it's sad to think of what has become of the rye which took my rye virginity.

Anyway, I too am in the awkward position in which the 101 has disappeared but the 81 has not yet arrived. No fun.

I tried a sample of this today at the distillery and it tasted like you took a glass of WT rye and dumped a bunch of water in it. It was awful I have no idea what WT was thinking.

I tried a sample of this today at the distillery and it tasted like you took a glass of WT rye and dumped a bunch of water in it. It was awful I have no idea what WT was thinking.

Well, isn't that what it is?:rolleyes:

Well, isn't that what it is?:rolleyes:

Oh no, it's very, very special! It has a little bit of 5-year rye in there, as well, making it 'the oldest-aged major Rye whiskey in its category". That must have a list of qualifiers that would make a lawyer shake his/her head in admiration.

For the accountants it was probably a simple equation: H2O = $$$

I was hanging with OscarV last Saturday and he handed me a glencairn with a mysterious straw-colored liqour in it. "Try this and tell me what kind of whiskey this is." I tried it. "Tastes like a weak Irish Whiskey," I said, "no flavor at all really." "It's Wild Turkey Rye 81 proof," he replied. "God, that's terrible," I said. "It is," said Oscar.

I was hanging with OscarV last Saturday and he handed me a glencairn with a mysterious straw-colored liqour in it. "Try this and tell me what kind of whiskey this is." I tried it. "Tastes like a weak Irish Whiskey," I said, "no flavor at all really." "It's Wild Turkey Rye 81 proof," he replied. "God, that's terrible," I said. "It is," said Oscar.

Ah yes, well that certainly *will* be perfect for mixed drinks, as WT insists. Just limit it to recipes that require vodka.

I'm terrified to go through the Binny's network (really the only place where WT Rye has been available) to see if they have any 101 left. I'm nursing my last bottle, and looking forward to the upcoming Knob Creek Rye, which will be 100 proof.

• 2 weeks later...

Stopped down in Maryland today and found a bottle of the 81 Rye. All I will say- it truly is as bad as you are imagining it to be. It has little flavor or color and is thin and disgusting. I'm glad I stocked up on 101 rye. This is going to be a long few years until the 101 rye is back in production.......

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.