WT Rye 81 proof?!

Josh
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Saw this for the first time yesterday. Had originally planned to try it, but after seeing all the negative reports here and elsewhere, decided to pass.

Currently have eight 101s in the bunker.

Saw this for the first time yesterday. Had originally planned to try it, but after seeing all the negative reports here and elsewhere, decided to pass.

Currently have eight 101s in the bunker.

• 2 weeks later...

Much to my shock and surprise, found 2 101s on a shelf yesterday. I now have 3 in storage as I got in late on the news a few months ago. Told the clerk it was "my lucky day". She looked at me quizzically. I paid and left...typical store clerks in my region...not a clue.

Does anyone know with a degree of certainty how long WT aged the 101 rye? I would assume 4-6 years which seems to be the standard (if there is any such thing anymore) for others such as RR, Saz Jr & Ritt BIB. Perhaps the WT101 is simply RR without out as much of a cut. Who knows these days? If it is all the same juice then I suppose the 81 is 'simply' RR cut even further...??

Much to my shock and surprise, found 2 101s on a shelf yesterday. I now have 3 in storage as I got in late on the news a few months ago. Told the clerk it was "my lucky day". She looked at me quizzically. I paid and left...typical store clerks in my region...not a clue.

Does anyone know with a degree of certainty how long WT aged the 101 rye? I would assume 4-6 years which seems to be the standard (if there is any such thing anymore) for others such as RR, Saz Jr & Ritt BIB. Perhaps the WT101 is simply RR without out as much of a cut. Who knows these days? If it is all the same juice then I suppose the 81 is 'simply' RR cut even further...??

Well, you know as well as any of us that the only thing we know with certainty is that it was 4 years old. Based on my own limited palate, as well as comments that the producers have made in hyping the new 81, I'd say that it's not any older than that.

Checked a couple of places where I saw some 101 not long ago and it was gone. Looks like I'll have to snag a couple of these soon since it's drying up.

Oh well - came home with a Baby Saz that I found unexpectedly, so it wasn't a wasted trip!

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up 2 more WTR 101 tonight. Left a few on the shelf, hope it wasn't a mistake.

• 2 weeks later...

The store I frequent didn't carry WTR at all until a couple of weeks ago. I bought a bottle of WTR 81 just to try it because this store has a very small rye selection, no Old Overholt or Ritt, just JB Rye. The WTR 81 is awful. It's like a cocktail with Clorox and Vodka. My only other experience with Rye was Russel's Reserve. It didn't fair any better. I just haven't really ran into much rye though.

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you that have the nasty 81 rye- I have found a use for it! My wife made "Bourbon Balls" the other day but instead of using bourbon, she added the 81 rye. The now-rye-balls turned out really well! Finally I can dispose of this terrible fluid and it even tastes good too!

Another good use for it is getting that funky smell out of the garbage disposal.

rsz_1rsz_wt_rye_001.jpg

I wouldn't let WTR 81 anywhere near my balls. ;)

But what do you use to get the smell of that terrible whiskey out of your pipes, Oscar?

Another good use for it is getting that funky smell out of the garbage disposal.

I'm hoping they read this thread and realize that the most informed of their consumers hate the stuff and there is an extreme need to bring the 101 back. I hope the sales tank as people realize they aren't getting 101 anymore at their store. Then the shortage will be over and 101 will return!! I already emailed WT and told them I will be switching brands until the 101 returns. They told me to try the Russell's Reserve. I do like the RR, but the 101 was the best. Hands down.

I'm hoping they read this thread and realize that the most informed of their consumers hate the stuff and there is an extreme need to bring the 101 back. I hope the sales tank as people realize they aren't getting 101 anymore at their store. Then the shortage will be over and 101 will return!! I already emailed WT and told them I will be switching brands until the 101 returns. They told me to try the Russell's Reserve. I do like the RR, but the 101 was the best. Hands down.

As I posted on Twitter earlier today, I don't know what the best whiskey of 2012 is yet, but WT Rye 81 proof is the frontrunner for the worst.

We all should post this picture on the WT facebook page. :grin: Maybe someday they will get the point.

That's not a bad Idea

Oh come on! It can't be that bad! Here, let me give it a try. Pppffffftthhhhh! Ughh! That was disgusting. Joe, you gotta try this whiskey, it's horrible!

Joe: Well lemme see here, glug glu- ppppffffffffffftttttttth! Ughgghh, I think I'm gonna be sick. Here Patrick, get a load of this nasty stuff...

And so on...

The 81 is a real disappointment and will not likely "take off" with new consumers, so about all WT accomplished was to irritate the rest of us who loved the 101. As a result, they've driven me further into the arms of other producers and I'm buying more Rittenhouse BIB than ever before.

Oh come on! It can't be that bad! Here, let me give it a try. Pppffffftthhhhh! Ughh! That was disgusting. Joe, you gotta try this whiskey, it's horrible!

Joe: Well lemme see here, glug glu- ppppffffffffffftttttttth! Ughgghh, I think I'm gonna be sick. Here Patrick, get a load of this nasty stuff...

And so on...

Funny because it is true. If I come across an open bottle somewhere, I'll admit -- I'm curious, I'll bite. Sometimes one needs to be reminded that fire is hot.

Update from Massachusetts: WT81 rye on the shelves everywhere. Doesn't seem to be moving. WT101 rye is gone, baby, gone, it's all gone away...

Update from Massachusetts: WT81 rye on the shelves everywhere. Doesn't seem to be moving. WT101 rye is gone, baby, gone, it's all gone away...

Cue the xylophones.

Cue the xylophones.

I love it when people reference a local band.

BTW, the avatar changes are confusing this luddite!:lol:

Plenty of WT Rye 101 out here in Park City, UT and no 81 in sight. It might just be the local stores though and not representative of the greater SLC area, the 81 is on the state price list and the 101 is marked as "limited" whatever that means.

Cue the xylophones.

If we're ever in the same city, I'm buying you a drink!

(heh, and next time I'll type it right as "gone daddy gone")

Edited by Kalessin

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.