WT Rye 81 proof?!

Josh
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Walked into a PA state store after a meeting this morning. I haven't seen the 101 on the shelves for a few months but there right in front of me were 4 bottles!! I bought 2 and left the other 2, I have already have several in the bunker and didn't want too be greedy.

If we're ever in the same city, I'm buying you a drink!

(heh, and next time I'll type it right as "gone daddy gone")

Ha! Well, you never know. Never been to MA but a good friend just got back from Cape Cod (Brewster) and loved it. Got me thinking.

• 1 month later...

I've missed so many golden opportunities to bunker in the past. Old Commonwealth, Wild Turkey 12 year old, Ancient Age Barrel 107, among others.

I found four bottles of WT Rye 101 at a Chicagoland place.

Finally, I have something with which to start a bunker. :)

I read through all 31 pages of this thread a couple nights ago at work. I had never had rye before and reading this made me very interested, especially in the 101 Turkey Rye. So yesterday I went to my local store and they had two bottles of the 101 on the shelf at $19 a bottle. I bought one and tried it last night. WOW. It was a kick in the mouth and I loved it. I truly hope it is just a pause in production and not a discontinuation. I'm going back to the store tomorrow and grabbing the other bottle and then looking around at a few other places. Great stuff.

I read through all 31 pages of this thread a couple nights ago at work. I had never had rye before and reading this made me very interested, especially in the 101 Turkey Rye. So yesterday I went to my local store and they had two bottles of the 101 on the shelf at $19 a bottle. I bought one and tried it last night. WOW. It was a kick in the mouth and I loved it. I truly hope it is just a pause in production and not a discontinuation. I'm going back to the store tomorrow and grabbing the other bottle and then looking around at a few other places. Great stuff.

What burns me most about Wild Turkey eliminating (for all intensive purposes) the 101 Rye and releasing the 81 is just how disingenuous I believe they have been. Instead of telling the truth, or simply staying silent, about a move we all know was designed to cut costs and extend supply, they instead tell us that we whiskey lovers really wanted a bolder and smoother sipper/mixer. When they said this, were they certain all whiskey lovers would simultaneously lose their sense of taste in worldwide mass industrial accident?

It is fairly obvious that their statements and press releases are BS because Wild Turkey 81 Rye is complete and utter garbage. WT, your new product tastes like 101 diluted with vomit! Come on, Eddie, quit adding "bold" and "smooth" tap water to the 101 Rye so we can get it back on shelves. Oh, while we're at it, how hard is it for your creative team to add an age statement to the label?

Edited by LostBottle

Noticed that WTR101 is showing up on eBay as rare and going for $50 or more plus shipping. Hmmmm....

What burns me most about Wild Turkey eliminating (for all intensive purposes) the 101 Rye and releasing the 81 is just how disingenuous I believe they have been. Instead of telling the truth, or simply staying silent, about a move we all know was designed to cut costs and extend supply, they instead tell us that we whiskey lovers really wanted a bolder and smoother sipper/mixer. When they said this, were they certain all whiskey lovers would simultaneously lose their sense of taste in worldwide mass industrial accident?

It is fairly obvious that their statements and press releases are BS because Wild Turkey 81 Rye is complete and utter garbage. WT, your new product tastes like 101 diluted with vomit! Come on, Eddie, quit adding "bold" and "smooth" tap water to the 101 Rye so we can get it back on shelves. Oh, while we're at it, how hard is it for your creative team to add an age statement to the label?

I would guess most of us feel the same way. If the 81 was even remotely the same as the 101, just at a lower strength, I doubt any of us would complain too much. Unfortunately, the 81 is just bad whiskey, plain and simple.... WT has to know this.

:( This is just sad all around. Wild Turkey seems to keep slipping further and further. Thankfully I got lucky and found 3 bottles of the old 101 last week. However, I'm not sure if it is a blessing or curse. All it is going to do is make me miss the "old" Turkey even more.

Even if they bring the 101 back, it will probably take a taste hit as well. Just like the 101 bourbon has gotten worse over the years, I'm sure the "new" 101 rye won't be as good either.

When this thread first started, I went out and bought what I could find (5), and I have four left. The more I read this thread, the more hesitant I am to open another one.

Perhaps WT is a victim of its own success and simply doesn't have enough aged stocks - the question is whether their recent expansion will help them rectify this situation at some point in the future, or whether we're seeing what WT will now be on the lower shelf - not the QPR it once was and may never be again.

Well guys, I've got some bad news. I was able to break into Wild Turkey's computer system and download a document talking about their future rye strategy. I've attached the most important slide. Read it and weep.

post-2056-1448981818268_thumb.jpg

Well guys, I've got some bad news. I was able to break into Wild Turkey's computer system and download a document talking about their future rye strategy. I've attached the most important slide. Read it and weep.

Ha! That is funny, thanks for posting!

Edited by LostBottle

Bad news, kids: according to Eddie Russell (technically a Campari spokesperson, but with perhaps a bit more authority) the WT101 rye is going away to be replaced by 81 proof -- and he is in on the change. Jimmy was standing next to him as he told us at Julio's in MA last night.

He acknowledged that it would be unpopular but asked us to taste it before complaining.

My take on the rationale is similar to their explanation for the WT81: they believe that they need a lower-proof offering -- primarily for bars and "younger generation" switchers from lighter spirits -- but they are using older whiskey than the four-years-and-a-day of the WT80 bourbon and today's WT101 rye.

Just so no one forgets, I'm quoting this post from page six. Well, Eddie, we tasted it. Now can we complain?

/actually I haven't tasted it, but the response here has been pretty much unanimous that it isn't just bad, it's truly awful.

Is there anyone out there that finds the WTR 81 even remotely palatable?

Folks, I think it's time we have a mass write-in to Wild Turkey complaining about the 81 rye. I am completely serious. How do I spread the word so we get the maximum amount of emails???

Saw one lonely WTR101 on a shelf surrounded by bottles of 81 today. It looked so sad, I had to bring it home. :grin:

Found 2 bottles of 101 today, never tried it before but figured I would pick one up just in case I dont' have the chance again...

Found 2 bottles of 101 today, never tried it before but figured I would pick one up just in case I dont' have the chance again...

Try that one soon or you might end up regretting not grabbing both!

• 2 weeks later...

For whatever reason, I am going to have to give up on WT 101 Rye. I have tried several bottles over the course of the last 2 years and each time, as odd as it may sound, I end up with a headache before I go to bed. I have tried many an evening with & without the Turkey and each time is consistent. Don't know what it is or why. At first, I thought it was just the one bottle or maybe even the next one. Now, after probably a half dozen more, same results. The other bottles were eventually consumed by visitors who didnt know the difference in rye & bourbon.

I have 3 more unopened that I stockpiled last spring when I read it was going away. I am not going to open these now hard to find bottles for unappreciative house guests....if you know what I mean. If anyone is interested in a trade, send me a PM.

• 5 months later...
I just talked to both Jimmy and Eddie Russell. There probably won't be any more 101 rye until 2013, but it will be back. Saw the new one. Label does not have a big '81' on it like the bourbon does, though otherwise it's pretty similar.

Jimmy was also excited to tell me that they just broke ground for the new bottling hall. He hates having it bottled in Arkansas.

Well, it's 2013 and I'm getting antsy....

Well, it's 2013 and I'm getting antsy....

Time will tell... I'd love to see the WTR101 return with the same flavor we knew.

Best not get too Antsy!

adam_ant.jpg

(Adam Ant, for those who didn't grow up in the 1980's...)

Edited by Kalessin

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.