WT Rye 81 proof?!

Josh
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Go back and buy the 101s. If there is a new supply later this year, fine, but if not you will wish you had bought these.

I will get some this week. Thanks!

The only reason they wouldn't bring back the 101 is if the 81 sells so well that they need all of the stocks they have to support it, and even then they'll probably increase production even a little more and simply delay its re-release. I know there are nay-sayers, who are the usual suspects, but it really makes no sense for them not to bring it back, especially when in so doing they will adjust the price upward to make it more profitable. As much as some people here seem to think that the big producers make decisions based primarily on doing what they can to screw consumers, they in fact look out for their own best self-interest, which generally means making and selling the products their customers want to buy, and there is unquestionably a market for WT rye 101.

• 4 months later...
I was assured that the 101 would be back in 2013. It's now spring, maybe we need to wait until summer.

Well, despite Chuck's rosy predictions, the year is more than half gone and still no 101 rye. Maybe in the Fall?

The current word on WT101 Rye is September time frame. A lot sooner than initially predicted.

I really hope this is true. I haven't been able to bring myself to pop open one of my bunkered bottles yet.

If it does re-appear in the Fall, I'm curious how WTR101 could come back so soon actually ... I thought it was about 4 yrs old? Unless WTR81 and RRR have not moved as they expected giving them enough barrels to bring back the WTR101, this seems pretty quick to me.

Was WT already ramping rye production 3 or so years ago, and they just had a temporary shortage that they dealt with by launching the WT81 for the cocktail mkt? ... or really a "self-created" shortage, using barrels normally targeted for WTR101 to get Forgiven out there knowing they could get the WTR101 back on the shelf in less than a couple of years.

Pretty smart if that is really what happened here - they get two new products out there, one a premium at that ... and recover on the WTR101 faster than expected.

Another view is they are getting the 101 on the shelf now and getting twice the price for it.

I'm not holding my breath for the 101 return. And if it actually does come back, will I spend $35-$40 on it? Doubt it.

Since it's my favorite rye, I hope it's not in that price range or I'll go broke.

• 4 weeks later...

If WT had a soul they should offer all the retailers with this vile stuff on the shleves a buy back and put it in the wonderful Forgiven

If WT had a soul they should offer all the retailers with this vile stuff on the shleves a buy back and put it in the wonderful Forgiven

I can't say as I'm a fan, but when I was trying to "find my rye" way, I did pick up a WTR81 . . . and I did like it more than OO :lol: I guess that is damning praise, but better than none :lol:

• 1 month later...

Bump, here. It's fall, 2013, and no sign of the 101 returning. However, I had a delightful lunch at the Evans Street Station in Tecumseh, Michigan, and on our way out, I spotted and old friend, a nearly full bottle of WT101 Rye on the back bar. The green label just shone forth. But alas, the owner didn't really know how long he'd had it. After I got home, I wondered if there was a hidden stash in some liquor store in Tecumseh, which is, after all, a small village off the beaten path.

Well, despite Chuck's rosy predictions, the year is more than half gone and still no 101 rye. Maybe in the Fall?
Bump, here. It's fall, 2013, and no sign of the 101 returning. However, I had a delightful lunch at the Evans Street Station in Tecumseh, Michigan, and on our way out, I spotted and old friend, a nearly full bottle of WT101 Rye on the back bar. The green label just shone forth. But alas, the owner didn't really know how long he'd had it. After I got home, I wondered if there was a hidden stash in some liquor store in Tecumseh, which is, after all, a small village off the beaten path.

Thanks for catching that, a month into fall, no less. I guess we'll just have to wait for winter.

Am really liking this, and I've been down on WT these last years. Full round taste, not "immature", not (evidently) super-aged. Good solid rye probably very similar to 1800's versions.

Give credit where due.

Gary

P.S. Apart from possible value issues, I don't get the critique of this replacing (to a large degree it seems if not 100%) the 101. I don't drink whiskey neat at 100 proof or higher, never did really. We are not really paying more either since the 81 replaces clearly the 80 and seems about the same money that was. I've read the formulation of the 81 is different. How that can be I don't really know, but anyway the 81 is a solid straight drink IMO.

Just goes to show that everyone's taste are different. Which is a very good thing. To me the WTR81 is one of the worse ryes I've ever tried but that's good for you.

Am really liking this, and I've been down on WT these last years. Full round taste, not "immature", not (evidently) super-aged. Good solid rye probably very similar to 1800's versions.

Give credit where due.

Gary, This showed up recently at LCBO is that where you bought your bottle?

By chance did you also get the newly arrived Knob Creek Rye?

Yes I did, LCBO. I didn't buy the KC rye, which I've tasted in Kentucky. To me it has the signature Beam rye taste which I get in Overholt and all other versions of rye from Chez Beam. I find it a muddy, odd taste, just not for me.

Gary

P.S. Apart from possible value issues, I don't get the critique of this replacing (to a large degree it seems if not 100%) the 101. I don't drink whiskey neat at 100 proof or higher, never did really. We are not really paying more either since the 81 replaces clearly the 80 and seems about the same money that was. I've read the formulation of the 81 is different. How that can be I don't really know, but anyway the 81 is a solid straight drink IMO.

Gary, I can't speak for anyone else, but I often prefer to take my whiskey with an ice cube or two, but anything under 100 proof doesn't really fare well in that presentation (to my palate).

But, given your praise here, I may revisit the 81 rye.

Fair point and I must say all my comments are premised on neat tasting (no ice).

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

So in the linked article, Jimmy Russell says, “To be completely frank, we didn’t realize bartenders had such a passion for it. Given the bartending community can be directly attributed for the current resurgence in Rye and classic cocktails, we had to listen and take the necessary steps with our available aged stock to bring 101 Rye back.†But on their website they say that "Wild Turkey Rye stands up to any mixer and shines through in cocktails."

So now I'm confused and don't know what to believe.:cry:

Also, great job at identifying which 21 markets nationwide are getting the product. Copy/paste of a press release is my favorite journalistic vehicle.:skep:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.