WT Rye 81 proof?!

Josh
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Also, great job at identifying which 21 markets nationwide are getting the product. Copy/paste of a press release is my favorite journalistic vehicle.:skep:

That's correct, one liter size is the barkeep's friend, doesn't mean some may not make it to the shelves though.

I just saw the 101 return (in liter bottles, in bars) on A Dram Good Time and ran over here to break the news that half the board has already found out. :D

Liter bottles in bars. Well, I have three sealed 750s of 101 in my bunker and one opened one. I'm good for a while.

I guess there has been a lot of turnover in the PR dept because they obviously forgot the original lie for why they went to the 81 proof in the first place. The press release WT released when they axed the 101 and moved to 81 said they were doing it because of demand from bartenders who wanted a softer product that didn't overpower their cocktails the way the 101 did.

So lets recap the history as described by WT lies..er press releases.

We have a good product but the bartenders want it at lower proof so Rye drinkers will loose one of their favorites, but hey, don't blame us blame the batenders. We have decided to bring back a product that is in short supply but it's only going to be available to bars to sell by the drink, but hey, don't blame us blame the bartenders. Jeez, these guys could screw up a wet dream.

Bingo Sailor22! WT has been claiming for some time that their 81pr Bourbon and Rye are "great for mixing," which is crap. Any professional bartender worth a damn knows that higher proof, when balanced correctly, provides more flavor and character to a cocktail.

WT's been forced to admit to this, but long after the fact. I would love to see the 101Rye return, with the same flavor profile, but WT has depressed me for some time.

Ask him for me what percentage of the flavor in the finished whisky comes from the barrel rather than mashbill or yeast.

He's a cagey old dodger, good luck getting a solid answer that won't be contradicted in another conversation at a different event. Also I don't think he is responsible for any of the decisions like what proof to bottle at. That's probably all handled in a different department.

Since he was present at the time in the late 50s I would also like to know what proof they brought it off the still and what proof it entered the barrel. That's not a dark secret or anything but an accurate reply would contradict the canned "We make the same as we always did" response we've heard before.

Since he was present at the time in the late 50s I would also like to know what proof they brought it off the still and what proof it entered the barrel. That's not a dark secret or anything but an accurate reply would contradict the canned "We make the same as we always did" response we've heard before.

Oh that's rich, between 105 and 110. What, do they lack the competence to get the entry number exact or is it dancing a side step around the fact WT recently raised their barrel entry proof to 110. Then skip forward to imply Beam, Buffalo Trace, Heaven Hill, Barton and Brown-Forman are all making a tainted product because they use 125 as the barrel entry proof.

Mr. Russell is an engaging fellow but I'm apparently not a member of his target audience.

Oh that's rich, between 105 and 110. What, do they lack the competence to get the entry number exact or is it dancing a side step around the fact WT recently raised their barrel entry proof to 110. Then skip forward to imply Beam, Buffalo Trace, Heaven Hill, Barton and Brown-Forman are all making a tainted product because they use 125 as the barrel entry proof.

Mr. Russell is an engaging fellow but I'm apparently not a member of his target audience.

They have more than one product they may barrel differently for different products.

It's stated quite clearly in post #386 - 107 is the barrel entry proof. The range given is a generalized statement of best barrel entry proof. No point in confusing the two statements.

Edited by MauiSon

Over the past 40 years or so Wild Turkey has been incrementally increasing the barrel entry proof of it's whisky, 103-105-107 and now 110. The purpose is not to make better whisky but to yield more beverage alcohol per barrel. More alcohol, more profit, nothing confusing about it.

Just realized that after starting my bourbon journey several months ago there are no WT or MM bottles on my bar or my bunker. Actually I don't miss them either.

I put a blog post up about it yesterday. That's here. I got a list of states from them. It came in the form of their regions and after I deciphered it, the total wasn't 21. Even counting D.C. and NYC as states it came to 18. Still, it's something.

In most, maybe all, states they can't refuse to sell it to stores, but by offering it in the 1L size only, stores will tend not to buy it. But in this particular case, the savvy ones will.

This, as we've been discussing for some time now, is the new normal. Types or brands that have a sudden sales surge are liable to be hard to find. Still, a two-year suspension is pretty dramatic. Most out-of-stocks are a month or less.

I put a blog post up about it yesterday. That's here. I got a list of states from them. It came in the form of their regions and after I deciphered it, the total wasn't 21. Even counting D.C. and NYC as states it came to 18. Still, it's something.

In most, maybe all, states they can't refuse to sell it to stores, but by offering it in the 1L size only, stores will tend not to buy it. But in this particular case, the savvy ones will.

This, as we've been discussing for some time now, is the new normal. Types or brands that have a sudden sales surge are liable to be hard to find. Still, a two-year suspension is pretty dramatic. Most out-of-stocks are a month or less.

Thanks Chuck for that post. The comments thread (cool too see your real life interaction with EllenJ transposed onto cyberspace) on that link are a fascinating read for me as I have discovered a love of the old Pennsylvania ryes.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.