Is there a newbie dusty list?

vrocco
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So hypothetically a newbie walks into some little corner store and sees a bunch of dusty bourbon bottles. Skip to ten years later, he's a well seasoned bourbon expert and sees a bottle being discussed that no one can find. He recalls seeing this same bottle in that dusty little corner store years ago, but didn't know enough to buy it then.

What are the bottles that a newbie should know to buy and hold onto if ever he should see them?

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about investment bourbon or flipping it on ebay for a million dollars someday, I'm talking about a good drinking bourbon that just can't be found anymore. Or perhaps one that is getting harder to find. Or perhaps one that can be found easily today, but may not be in ten years.

I live in Pennsylvania, we don't get a great selection of bourbons. If I am traveling to another state, I would like to know if I see something that is worth buying. For the sake of conversation, give me your top 5 "must buy if I see" bourbons.

So hypothetically a newbie walks into some little corner store and sees a bunch of dusty bourbon bottles. Skip to ten years later, he's a well seasoned bourbon expert and sees a bottle being discussed that no one can find. He recalls seeing this same bottle in that dusty little corner store years ago, but didn't know enough to buy it then.

What are the bottles that a newbie should know to buy and hold onto if ever he should see them?

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about investment bourbon or flipping it on ebay for a million dollars someday, I'm talking about a good drinking bourbon that just can't be found anymore. Or perhaps one that is getting harder to find. Or perhaps one that can be found easily today, but may not be in ten years.

I live in Pennsylvania, we don't get a great selection of bourbons. If I am traveling to another state, I would like to know if I see something that is worth buying. For the sake of conversation, give me your top 5 "must buy if I see" bourbons.

I would also love this. I am new to the whole "dusty hunting" thing, and it seems like Miami might be largely untapped.

OGD BIB DSP-14

Old Forester BIB DSP-414

Any Weller bottled in Louisville or Old Fitzgerald DSP-16

WTKS Pewter tops

WTRB old labels, especially the 01-91 bottling

How 'bout you fellas using the search function, and play around the site for a few days? Do some of your own research? Maybe, come to a Sampler, Fall Festival, or two? You'll learn a TON about dusties.

Y'all need to put a little more into it than just asking for a list...

How 'bout you fellas using the search function, and play around the site for a few days? Do some of your own research? Maybe, come to a Sampler, Fall Festival, or two? You'll learn a TON about dusties.

Been trying to do that for the past few days, but unfortunately sometimes it's a bit like trying to decipher code when listening to you guys talking about dusties. :lol: I've searched for articles online too, but have largely come up with anything that isn't vague at best.

Also, I would LOVE to come to any of the events you listed, but I get very little vacation time and would have a hard time affording a trip like that with my wife in graduate school.

I am hoping to visit the Bourbon Trail around Thanksgiving while I'm visiting my parents in Atlanta, and will hopefully be able to meet up with a few of you guys then. I just need to convince my dad and brother that they want to drive to Kentucky with me!

Pictures would also be incredibly helpful.

Ok, fine. *clanging in the bunker*

Here's everything I mentioned except the Weller and Fitz. I haven't had the good fortune to find those yet. On the WTRB, the lot number is on the neck.

post-4578-14489817737001_thumb.jpg

Ok, fine. *clanging in the bunker*

Here's everything I mentioned except the Weller and Fitz. I haven't had the good fortune to find those yet. On the WTRB, the lot number is on the neck.

Thank you! Much easier to memorize what the label looks like than try to memorize the numbers.

You tell em Joe...you forgot to tell them to wear their ND gear to the Sampler...it will get you noticed! :cool:

Lists...? Pictures...? LMAO. :rolleyes:

How about I just leave my cabinets unlocked and the keys to the house under the mat?

There are plenty of pictures in the dusty threads.

Don't think of this as dealing with a bunch of grouchy jerks...we are teaching you to fish. :lol:

Lists...? Pictures...? LMAO. :rolleyes:

I think a detailed map with where to locate each bottle would also be useful. Please include phone numbers and prices as well. ;)

start in this thread: http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15200

Read the entire thing. There are plenty of pictures and pretty much every dusty you could want (and a few you wouldn't) are discussed. Take notes. If you want more, there is a link in the first post of that thread to an older one which you should also read.

Then there is the current "Dusty finds" thread which should be pretty well established by the time you get done reading the other two.:cool:

How about I just leave my cabinets unlocked and the keys to the house under the mat?

What time you going to work?

Josh & I will be there tomorrow in my truck

Tim

I think the responses to the thread question can aptly be summarized thusly: No. No, there is no newbie dusty list. Dustys lie in hibernation waiting to be awoken by an educated, experienced hunter who knows how to spot them and relishes in the history and education that lies in their juices.

Dusty and newbie are not meant to be combined. You can be new to dusty hunting, most everyone under 45 years old these days will likely be new to dusty hunting at some point.

Part of the novelty in dustys is that they are often hidden in plain sight. If you see a dusty one day but don't buy it because you don't recognize it as such, then discover while doing some research that you may have passed over a delicious bottle that could have afforded you a rare tasting pleasure, then return to the spot only to find that someone else yanked it out from under your nose, well, rest assured that that dusty found a nice home with someone who will appreciate it.

Or, more to the point as Joe pointed out: Screw you and your shortcuts!

I think the responses to the thread question can aptly be summarized thusly: No. No, there is no newbie dusty list. Dustys lie in hibernation waiting to be awoken by an educated, experienced hunter who knows how to spot them and relishes in the history and education that lies in their juices.

Dusty and newbie are not meant to be combined. You can be new to dusty hunting, most everyone under 45 years old these days will likely be new to dusty hunting at some point.

Part of the novelty in dustys is that they are often hidden in plain sight. If you see a dusty one day but don't buy it because you don't recognize it as such, then discover while doing some research that you may have passed over a delicious bottle that could have afforded you a rare tasting pleasure, then return to the spot only to find that someone else yanked it out from under

your nose, well, rest assured that that dusty found a nice home with someone who will appreciate it.

This is sheer poetry.

And I'd kindly remind that just 10 days ago there were 1,195 people on the sight at one time. Your doing yourself a favor, if your serious about non flea bay dusties, to do the harder search function research and leave well enough alone. It can still be our own little playground, just have to play smarter.

I think a detailed map with where to locate each bottle would also be useful. Please include phone numbers and prices as well. ;)

Screw that. Can you pick up a few extra for me next time you come across them? I'll forward you my credit card number. :grin:

Threads like these crack me up...seriously...someone really asked for this to happen? :rolleyes:

We need a sign at the door like they have at amusement parks:

Line Jumping is Cause For Ejection From SB

:lol:

Okay, now that a lot of people have taken turns saying the exact same thing, can it stop? The point is made.

I have not asked anyone for locations of whiskey, but I have been asked several times for addresses and, except for one time, have tried to help. I don't mind sharing, as long as it doesn't directly interfere with something I intend to buy soon.

So hypothetically a newbie walks into some little corner store and sees a bunch of dusty bourbon bottles.

We were all there when we started, and I am pretty sure we all wished we had the list your referring to.

But in time we learned that the ONLY way to learn is to buy what looks interesting and or old and sample it. It's your palate after all and just being old doesn't necessarily make it better FOR YOU regardless of other peoples opinion.

The thrill of discovery trumps the ease of following recommendations every time.

Plus having the bottle in your possession will give you time to study the label and the bottle. Then use the search function and learn about some of the history of the iteration you have if that sort of thing interests you.

Even after some of the seeming gruff comments I think you would find most of the posters would be more than happy to share their knowledge and dusty pours with you in person at a social gathering like the Gazebo during the sampler or some other get together. This really is a friendly community but it gets a little defensive when it feels like it is being taken advantage of.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.