Is there a newbie dusty list?

vrocco
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have apparently breached some type of protocol by asking a question here. I sincerely apologize. I am reading and trying to learn. While learning from your own mistakes and sweat is considered working hard, I think that being able to learn from other people's mistakes is considered working smart.

I'd like to thank each of you for your responses. From the helpful (the guy who dug out a few bottles and snapped a pic), to the humorous (the guy who is leaving me the keys under the mat), to the condescending. Each response gives a unique glimpse into the personalities on the forum.

I hope you can forgive my apparent breach of protocol or courtesy and write this thread off as the post of a foolish newbie. I will read quietly now and look forward to the day when I can contribute something of value to the community here.

Thanks!

Hang around here enough and meet these folks in person and you will learn that theres a lot of ball busting going on.

I think most of the replies were good natured jabs so don't be offended.

Read and learn, thats your best bet.

Hang around here enough and meet these folks in person and you will learn that theres a lot of ball busting going on.

That's what I did and now I don't even get mad at Scott's jabs! ;)

I have broad shoulders, I don't offend easily. No worries there. I just didn't wish to offend anyone here by coming across as a gold digger looking to make a buck on dusties.

I have broad shoulders, I don't offend easily. No worries there. I just didn't wish to offend anyone here by coming across as a gold digger looking to make a buck on dusties.

Your post came across as innocent. Think of the above comments as mild hazing. I'm new to the bourbon game as well, but you learn very very quickly by hanging around this board. Also, don't let this thread deter you. I've learned that many people here are extremely generous and helpful!

My experience with dusties:

There's not one person on here who collects dusties that wouldn't pour you as as as many of them as you want whenever you want...

• But they will NOT tell you where they got them...
  • Or what the "best" ones are

For the super lazy, this actually works out well - you don't have to find the dusties, just the people who have them (and they are pretty open!)

99% of the fun with dusties is figuring out what you like/enjoy (where the sharing comes in very handy!) and then hunting them down and finding them yourself. There's just that rush of landing a really great old find - at a ridiculous price (compared to what you'd be willing to pay for it) and taking it home and sharing it with some buddies.

There's FAR more cool dusties to look for beyond SW juice, too. It's finding your pallets nirvana that is the hardest work. Anybody can tell you to find SW juice, but what if you (heaven forbid) aren't partial to wheaters? That's where the research and social gatherings come in to the equation.

Otherwise, there's always eBay...:rolleyes:

but what if you (heaven forbid) aren't partial to wheaters?

This describes my problem! Give me an OGD or EC-12 any day. I can stomach OWA and Weller 12, but they just leave me wanting more.

And those dusty hunting threads are the gold mine! Read them, hunt, read, hunt, it's just like learning anything else. Eventually you get the hang of it and start finding little stores with tons of stock.

And those dusty hunting threads are the gold mine! Read them, hunt, read, hunt, it's just like learning anything else. Eventually you get the hang of it and start finding little stores with tons of stock.

Having read through this thread for a few days now, I'd like to make a couple of observations and suggestions. I'm not singling anyone out here, so try not to take this personally or get defensive.

I genuinely believe most people come to this forum because they're interested in bourbon and want to read and learn more about this incredible spirit. Those that wish to take advantage of or rip off other enthusiasts, find locations of bottles to buy low and sell high on eBay, or out dusty hunt everyone in their area just to make some money are in the far minority. There are much better get rich quick schemes than bourbon flipping/hunting.

Point being, I think the old timers/veterans on here should relax a little and not be so quick to bite newbie's heads off. They're new. They're not familiar with the 1,353 SB laws and the 675 unwritten ones. It takes time to learn those. Ease up. This is the exact reason newbies are intimidated to post. One accidental slip up or "you gotta be kidding me question" and they're thrown to the wolves. Cut them a little slack. I recall my first post on KC Single Barrel. I don't think some guys even read what I wrote before writing comments like "Gee, all we need is another KC SB post" or "Hey dude, there's a search function for a reason". Well, had those guys actually READ what I wrote, they would have seen I was talking about Booker Noe always being opposed to SB offerings and favoring small batch. And how bizarre that Fred Noe has gone against that. Bottom line, it was very intimidating posting here the first few times. Not exactly a welcoming environment.

This breeds the dreaded "lurkers" as well. Either you want people to join and participate (then stop biting their heads off and be more helpful with constructive guidance instead of snarky jabs) or you don't want new people to join since they'd be "more competition for the good stuff" so close the membership. Or maybe you don't mind them joining but want them to lurk forever and never contribute. How many "long time lurker, first time posting" posts have we seen? You can't have it both ways guys.

I guess it comes down to this question: What is the goal for SB membership? Does this community want to welcome newcomers? If not, then lock down the membership. If so, then we really need to work on our people skills.

I'm not suggesting giving a newbie a magical cheat sheet to every known dusty location on Earth. Or spoon feeding them everything it took you 25 years to learn. I understand wanting to protect your knowledge and time/effort spent. And wanting to feel someone out first just to see if they're in that minority mentioned above. But there are mean and nice ways of going about this. That's all.

Keep in mind this is a VERY niche community. The 21yr old college student who likes to drink Beam and Coke while clubbin' in downtown Chicago to find the next chick to bang isn't going to be stopping by StraightBourbon.com anytime soon. If a newbie breaches a code of conduct, let's politely point them in the right direction and give them constructive guidance. After all, isn't this a forum of gentlemen?

Just my $0.02

I have hunted all over Dallas TX and for the most part, there doesn't appear to be any "rare" dusties...but then i have braved the real seedy places.

So far...My dusty rewards have been:

Old Charter 8yr from 1995.

Old Weller Antique from 2008

Old Weller Original 107 from 2008 350ml

Parker's Heritage Collection 1st Edition Cask Strength from 2007

And......a very weird find called Charter Private Reserve.

Maybe one day...when the bourbon fates are kind enough....i'll stumble into some SW juice........until then i can dream...and drool over your finds.

Having read through this thread for a few days now, I'd like to make a couple of observations and suggestions. I'm not singling anyone out here, so try not to take this personally or get defensive.

I genuinely believe most people come to this forum because they're interested in bourbon and want to read and learn more about this incredible spirit. Those that wish to take advantage of or rip off other enthusiasts, find locations of bottles to buy low and sell high on eBay, or out dusty hunt everyone in their area just to make some money are in the far minority. There are much better get rich quick schemes than bourbon flipping/hunting.

Point being, I think the old timers/veterans on here should relax a little and not be so quick to bite newbie's heads off. They're new. They're not familiar with the 1,353 SB laws and the 675 unwritten ones. It takes time to learn those. Ease up. This is the exact reason newbies are intimidated to post. One accidental slip up or "you gotta be kidding me question" and they're thrown to the wolves. Cut them a little slack. I recall my first post on KC Single Barrel. I don't think some guys even read what I wrote before writing comments like "Gee, all we need is another KC SB post" or "Hey dude, there's a search function for a reason". Well, had those guys actually READ what I wrote, they would have seen I was talking about Booker Noe always being opposed to SB offerings and favoring small batch. And how bizarre that Fred Noe has gone against that. Bottom line, it was very intimidating posting here the first few times. Not exactly a welcoming environment.

This breeds the dreaded "lurkers" as well. Either you want people to join and participate (then stop biting their heads off and be more helpful with constructive guidance instead of snarky jabs) or you don't want new people to join since they'd be "more competition for the good stuff" so close the membership. Or maybe you don't mind them joining but want them to lurk forever and never contribute. How many "long time lurker, first time posting" posts have we seen? You can't have it both ways guys.

I guess it comes down to this question: What is the goal for SB membership? Does this community want to welcome newcomers? If not, then lock down the membership. If so, then we really need to work on our people skills.

I'm not suggesting giving a newbie a magical cheat sheet to every known dusty location on Earth. Or spoon feeding them everything it took you 25 years to learn. I understand wanting to protect your knowledge and time/effort spent. And wanting to feel someone out first just to see if they're in that minority mentioned above. But there are mean and nice ways of going about this. That's all.

Keep in mind this is a VERY niche community. The 21yr old college student who likes to drink Beam and Coke while clubbin' in downtown Chicago to find the next chick to bang isn't going to be stopping by StraightBourbon.com anytime soon. If a newbie breaches a code of conduct, let's politely point them in the right direction and give them constructive guidance. After all, isn't this a forum of gentlemen?

Just my $0.02

Everything you just said is why I don't post here regularly.

Even the Beam and Coke chick banging part? :cool:

SB isn't the only forum where noobish behavior is taken to task. We are a friendly bunch...what other forum do you know where regulars refer to others by their given name and not their forum handle?

This is like any other real community where members have shared beverages in real time in person. Would you walk up to a group of strangers in public and ask their trade secrets? Why do it here before getting to know us?

1789b is invite only, so a "solution" to the lurker/membership issue rests there.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but don't they get to cut of your hand for mentioning their existence to the unwashed masses? I though that was on page 2 of the bylaws.

Either way, 1789b is a solution in search of a problem.

I'm with MacinJosh on this one. Be kind, what can it hurt?

The worst that will happen is the new poster will describe you as being condescending.:rolleyes:

I'm with MacinJosh on this one. Be kind, what can it hurt?

The worst that will happen is the new poster will describe you as being condescending.:rolleyes:

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but don't they get to cut of your hand for mentioning their existence to the unwashed masses? I though that was on page 2 of the bylaws.

I am not afraid! DC is home to the Church of Scientology, and I live near the national (or international) Masonic headquarters, and they haven't got me yet.

I think it's precious that a bunch of old men want to have a secret club. They're just so cute!

As I understand it, 1789b is a group of extremely attractive and intelligent individuals who enjoy whiskey.

Are you suggesting someone was rude? I've read the thing 9 times, and I'm at a loss as to where the big deal is.
Lists...? Pictures...? LMAO.
It must be a Millennial Generation thing....
Threads like these crack me up...seriously...someone really asked for this to happen?

Maybe it is "good-natured" "ball-busting", I don't know.

As I understand it, 1789b is a group of extremely attractive and intelligent individuals who enjoy whiskey.

LIAR!!!:smiley_acbt:

Are you suggesting someone was rude? I've read the thing 9 times, and I'm at a loss as to where the big deal is.

"If this turns into a Nun's bar I'm outa here."

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.