Glencairn (again)

Luna56
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've got, side by side, a glass and a crystal Glencairn. I'm finding that there is a subtle (yet enormous) difference in the feel and "vibe" of these glasses. The crystal has a slightly softer feel in the hand. Not quite as heavy and minus a bit of the ballast of the glass one. The shape is very slightly different, a bit thinner at the neck. So classy.

If you don't have one, get yourself a crystal Glencairn and you'll instantly know why this glass garners so much affection.

Cheers!

I've have both glass and crystal Glencairns. I much prefer the crystal. I can disceren no difference in the taste experience between the two, but I like the feel of the crystal much more.

Is there an easy way to tell the difference? I've been looking at Amazon for a few weeks and they seem to use glass & crystal interchangeably. Is there a clear price difference?

I believe I have this right...the crystal has a straight-edge lip, and the glass is rounded with maybe even a bit of a bead?

As Luna says, a different feel that you may find pleasing. They do have a certain classiness to them.

But as Ebo points out and I agree, it is an absolutely ridiculous notion to suggest that a whiskey will be different tasting from each glass. This idea was bandied about on these boards a few years ago. Utter hogwash. When this idea was the rage, I always felt that somewhere there was a surplus of glencairns that were in search of homes...

Full disclosure: I'm in the wine business in Napa, so glassware is something that I do consider and would be willing to make a little extra effort to get 'right'. It won't make a bad wine good, but I personally believe a good glass can add that little 'extra' that is important when you are making & selling very expensive fermented grape juice.

Thanks for the links & advice, I really appreciate it.

Do people prefer Glencairn or Riedels for whiskey? And why?

For me, it's more mood than anything. I love the Glencairn because it's like a jack of all trades glass. It's heavy enough that it doesn't feel fragile, it does a great job of concentrating the nose, it has a nice bowl that holds an adequate amount of spirit, and it just looks cool. The only knock on it is it's a bit hard to drink from if you have a larger schnoz. :grin:

I use a standard tumbler/rocks glass alot, too. I like the heft of it.... it feels "manly". :lol: Plus.... I have a 150 lb. dog that has been known to clear an entire table top with a swish of his tail. The tumbler has survived more than a few brushes with that tail. :grin:

When I really want to spend more time "appreciating" a nice bourbon or scotch, I'll use a Glencairn Copita glass. http://www.scotchwhiskyglass.com/copita.htm

When I really want to spend more time "appreciating" a nice bourbon or scotch, I'll use a Glencairn Copita glass. http://www.scotchwhiskyglass.com/copita.htm

I agree -- I really enjoy the Copita glass. I think I am able to get at more of the nose with these glasses. The Glencairn glasses are my next favorite. I don't care as much for the Glencairn Crystal glass -- the lip is a lot thicker than the regular glass. Is this what is meant by "bead"?

I agree -- I really enjoy the Copita glass. I think I am able to get at more of the nose with these glasses. The Glencairn glasses are my next favorite. I don't care as much for the Glencairn Crystal glass -- the lip is a lot thicker than the regular glass. Is this what is meant by "bead"?

Ebo is correct, it is the glass Glencairn that has the "bead" or "lip," not the crystal Glencairn. If you run your finger up the side of the vessel you'll notice a lip on the glass one.

There's nothing wrong with the glass Glencairn, by the way, it's a fantastic little thing.

I have a crystal glass that I bought for cognac that is similar to the Copita glass but I never use it. Never cared for stemware, always makes me feel like I'm at a wedding or someplace I need to wear a tie. I suspect the Glencairn would be a great cognac glass.

It's been said before, but keeping a good variety of glasses on hand will enhance your experience. I go back and forth between a few different styles of glasses, depending on my mood. The best glass is the one that's got whiskey in it.

Cheers!

I have both types of Glencairns. I prefer the glass one myself. I'm a big guy, and the slightly heavier weight of the glass just feels better in my hand. I like them for their durability too. I have knocked mine over before, and even dropped one once, and it didn't break. I have seen lesser accidents that have shattered the crystal ones.

FWIW, I seem to remember reading somewhere, (possibly a thread here) that only the crystal version is made now.

Cheers! :toast:

Oh crap! There went my glass. :lol:

I know what you mean, Joe, sometimes a lil' more mass in the glass is a good thing.

When my crystal Glencairn gets too light I augment its weight by adding more whiskey. It all works out!:cool:

Cheers brother!

Crystal or glass, a Glencairn just feels better in my hand than any other glass I've used. However I'm with Luna in that a plastic cup with whisky in it is better than an empty Glencairn (but I strongly dislike drinking whisky from plastic).

In Pennsylvania recently I went for dinner at this sports bar (walking distance from hotel, only logical choice). Place was nearly empty except for a few noisy female Super Bowl nuts. "Whoooooo! Whoooooo!!"

I hate sports bars.

I did have a decent meal, though and decided I'd have an after dinner bourbon. The best they had was WR so that's what I ordered. Five minutes later my server returns with this enormous martini glass, like the kind one might get supersized margaritas in at those Mexican chain restaurants.

The glass was truly enormous and was full to the brim with bourbon. Easily eight, ten shots worth. The oversized, novelty margarita glass is an excellent whiskey vessel indeed.

I love sports bars! "Whoooooo! Whoooooo!!"

Cheers!

Cheers!

I'm confused now. My crystal Glencairn definitely has a wider rim, although I do understand what you mean by beaded now, and it is not beaded just like you said. I also think My crystal Glencairn is heavier than my glass one. I hope i didn't get a bad one or something. When I get a chance I will have to try and post a picture of the two glasses.

A martini glass full of bourbon - wow! That would be the best glass!

Steve

In Pennsylvania recently I went for dinner at this sports bar (walking distance from hotel, only logical choice). Place was nearly empty except for a few noisy female Super Bowl nuts. "Whoooooo! Whoooooo!!"

I hate sports bars.

I did have a decent meal, though and decided I'd have an after dinner bourbon. The best they had was WR so that's what I ordered. Five minutes later my server returns with this enormous martini glass, like the kind one might get supersized margaritas in at those Mexican chain restaurants.

The glass was truly enormous and was full to the brim with bourbon. Easily eight, ten shots worth. The oversized, novelty margarita glass is an excellent whiskey vessel indeed.

I love sports bars! "Whoooooo! Whoooooo!!"

Cheers!

Cheers!

Wow! I bet the walk back to the hotel was more of an adventure than you anticipated! :lol:

I did okay, I took my time finishing the drink and had just finished a big meal.

Still, it was a bit extreme. I'll try to post a pic I took with my iPhone if I can figure out how.

Steve, regarding the differences between glass and crystal:

Revisit ebo's earlier post in which he describes pinging the glasses to hear the difference in sound. The crystal will have a clearer tone and will ring for a longer period of time.

I've found my crystal Glencairns to be lighter in weight than the glass ones.

Cheers!

To the best of my knowledge, Glencairn only produces the crystal version now.

Anyone tried the Glencairn Canadian Whisky glass?

To the best of my knowledge, Glencairn only produces the crystal version now.

Anyone tried the Glencairn Canadian Whisky glass?

I was eyeing these the other day. The regular glencairn is nice but feels a bit small and fragile in my hand. I like the size of the canadian glencairn so I might grab a few of these.

I really like the Canadian glass, it's a great change of pace. For me it occupies a middle ground between the standard Glencairn and bigger, heavier rocks glasses. It's perfect for when you want a slightly larger pour than normal. And the wider, more stable base definitely comes in handy on occasion...

It took a moment to get accustomed to my Glencairns, but now I love them. I have the crystal version. The shape and weight feel just right, and they hold the perfect amount. That said, I don't discount any other glasses and would be willing to give others a try. More tools for the toolbox!

• 2 weeks later...

A set of six arrived in the mail today, looking forward to giving them a try out tonight.

They sure do look nice sitting on the bar.

B

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.