Rose's Grenadine

Gillman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I bought this some years ago and used it for a cocktail or two but can't recall the details. It's either the years or the cocktails. Anyway, it's been untouched for quite some time, so I thought I'd taste it neat, for palate-training as my friend Doug Philips would say.

I took just a bit, half a teaspoon.

What a lovely taste! It's like rosewater and Turkish delight, sweet, but in a natural way. On the side of the bottle it says both natural and artificial flavouring is used. Well, the result is a triumph of chemistry and nature.

I'm thinking a scosh of this in a good vodka or gin would work well. Reports will ensue..

Gary

Indeed but the taste is particularly pleasant, sort of floral yet confectionary. Pama, the pomegranate liquor from Heaven Hill, would be an interesting contrast, I'm sure it's very good too. I'm trying to find or devise a cocktail where the fine flavour comes through but not too much of the sweetness.

What impressed me too was the stability of the drink, it's been stored in different cupboards and sometimes in an open bar, different temperatures, and it tastes great after about 7 years. Also, it hasn't thrown any deposit.

Gary

No doubt the sugar content is the preservative. Prolly as shelf stable as honey and twinkies

I need to get a bottle.

However, my open bottle of Rose's lime juice has apparently gone bad. It has turned a brownish color and tastes objectionably bitter. Time to throw it away and get another. I guess it needs to be refrigerated.

Tim

I need to get a bottle.

However, my open bottle of Rose's lime juice has apparently gone bad. It has turned a brownish color and tastes objectionably bitter. Time to throw it away and get another. I guess it needs to be refrigerated.

Tim

Wow! I thought I was the only person plagued with brown Rose' lime juice. We should start a support group. I like the grenadine and lime. I found just a few drops of the grenadine in a glass of bourbon from time to time will cure all ailments of internal origin and it tastes great. Bourbon margaritas are tasty too. I use the Rose's lime juice, water, and bourbon. Of course, this is for those times when rigid adherence to proper bourbon drinking protocols are set aside to placate my hedonistic drinking urges that crop up ocassionally.

Based on the recommendation of a buddy in the neighborhood, I'm not proud to admit that I went through a short period about 20+ years ago of drinking Rose's Grenadine mixed in............................................Zima.....Ow, it hurts to fess-up to that. I call that my douchebag phase.....

Based on the recommendation of a buddy in the neighborhood, I'm not proud to admit that I went through a short period about 20+ years ago of drinking Rose's Grenadine mixed in............................................Zima.....Ow, it hurts to fess-up to that. I call that my douchebag phase.....

Did you drop a jolly rancher in there as well? :) we have all had periods we regret. Zima was the in thing at the time. I was in high school when it came out and I am ashamed to admit I drank a boat load of it as well. Glad that passed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adding Grenadine to Zima, interesting. Kind of like a Belgian fruit ale. Joe, maybe you were ahead of your time. :)

Gary

I had a buddy who was a big Zima drinker. I asked him to pour me a few sips. Tasted like lightly flavored water to me, so I never developed an interest.

I haven't had a Zima in about 20 years, but there are a lot of worse things in the world.

Tim

I haven't had a Zima in about 20 years, but there are a lot of worse things in the world.

"Energy drinks", for example. :rolleyes:

Making your own grenadine is super-easy too, if you can find pure pomegranate juice, and imparts a plant-y freshness that Rose's super-sticky-sweet process lacks. Just make a simple syrup with 1:2 normal white sugar and pomegranate juice instead of water and reduce it to half or less on the stove. Tasty!

The Ward 8 is my favourite grenadine-and-whiskey drink, and I usually go a little more heavy on grenadine than the traditional old-timey recipes.

When I make mine, I just measure equal parts white sugar and POM 100% juice. Shake the shit out of it and top it with 0.5oz of Everclear. For a few cocktails I have made a cinnamon, allspice and clove grenadine that I heated just till the sugar was dissolved but I cant stand the taste of it if its been hotter than that. No one should ever use Rose's products, homemade version are vastly superior and easy.

• 2 weeks later...

Rose's products have large quantities of high fructose corn syrup in them. Health effects aside, HFCS didn't used to taste bad to me until someone introduced me to Fee Brothers grenadine. Now Rose's tastes like plastic to me. Once your Rose's runs out, give Fee Brothers a try - I like it. You may have to order it depending on where you live; Amazon carries it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.