What Beer Are You Drinking? - Spring 2012

jcg9779
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Switching up between Sweetwater 420 and Full Sail Session Lager while slaving away working out in the pond, trying to get it finished. Both are proving to be very thirst quenching.

We had some people over for brunch today and I served my brunch specialty, the Dirty Ho.

It's Hoegaarden spiked with raspberry lambic. This drink can definitely be made more top shelf with similarly styled beers, but it's a good alternative for mimosas. I've made plenty of non-beer drinkers happy, and if you feel that Lindeman's makes a disgustingly sweet lambic, I've also used Ommegang's Aphrodite to great effect.

Homebrews today while brewing a rye pale ale. So much fun I'm brewing a second batch today, black saison.

Picked up some Atwater bourbon barrel Porter this weekend. Atwater is in Detroit and they make some good beer. This is an excellent Porter. The carboard carrier that the bottles come in has directions to the brewery from various points in MI. The directions from Canada read: "swim".

Craig

Picked up some Atwater bourbon barrel Porter this weekend. Atwater is in Detroit and they make some good beer. This is an excellent Porter. The carboard carrier that the bottles come in has directions to the brewery from various points in MI. The directions from Canada read: "swim".

Craig

That porter sounds mighty fine! We split a six pack of Three Floyds Gumballhead last night, along with some OWA while watching the Bruins game. May seek out some Baltic porter tonight which is always nice. There are some great ones from Estonia, Lithuania and Poland on the shelves around here, so a mixed six pack may be in order.

Hitachino Nest White Ale. A very interesting, very unique, and very good beer out of Japan. I pick up a lot of ginger which is something I've previously never gotten from a beer. If only it wasn't nearly $5 for a 12 oz bottle here in NC!

That porter sounds mighty fine! We split a six pack of Three Floyds Gumballhead last night, along with some OWA while watching the Bruins game. May seek out some Baltic porter tonight which is always nice. There are some great ones from Estonia, Lithuania and Poland on the shelves around here, so a mixed six pack may be in order.

Zywiec makes a great Baltic porter, IMO. When the bottle has been cared for and not exposed to too much harsh treatment, I think it's world class.

Oskar Blues - Deviant Dales, been enjoying this one lately. Great IPA, probably the best IPA out of Colorado at the moment.

Zywiec makes a great Baltic porter, IMO. When the bottle has been cared for and not exposed to too much harsh treatment, I think it's world class.

That's true, for sure. We have a huge Polish community here in Chicago, so many fine Polish beers are available to us and Zywiec Porter is a stand-out, though last night we had Okocim Porter on hand and Okocim O.K. Pale Lager for those who don't like the dark stuff.

Oskar Blues - Deviant Dales, been enjoying this one lately. Great IPA, probably the best IPA out of Colorado at the moment.

Ya gotta keep rubbing it in that Oskar Blues (and Odell-love the Double Pilsner) are not distributed in Chicago :grin:. Thankfully I have friends travelling to your fine state in June for Wilco at Red Rocks and I'll be there in August.

I'm currently drinking Duck-Rabbit Barleywine. North Carolina breweries have really been impressing me lately (I'm a native Californian). This beer is sweet and fruity, but not overwhelmingly so. Overall very well balanced and recommended. Duck-Rabbit (Kinston, NC) and Foothills (Winston-Salem, NC) have consistently been putting out top notch brews.

Have you had the Rabid Duck? It caught my wife's eye and I'm thinking it would be a good one to have while we wait out this unseasonably cold weather up here.

I'm currently drinking Duck-Rabbit Barleywine. North Carolina breweries have really been impressing me lately (I'm a native Californian). This beer is sweet and fruity, but not overwhelmingly so. Overall very well balanced and recommended. Duck-Rabbit (Kinston, NC) and Foothills (Winston-Salem, NC) have consistently been putting out top notch brews.

Have you had the Rabid Duck? It caught my wife's eye and I'm thinking it would be a good one to have while we wait out this unseasonably cold weather up here.

I saw it today and almost picked it up. It was highly recommended, but I have too many stouts in my cabinet right now. Duck-Rabbit has yet to put a below average beer so I'm definitely going to be trying it soon.

Just poured a Founder's Breakfast Stout. Man, you talk about a heavy duty beer! Tons of coffee and dark chocolate in this one. Not sure I can drink more than one though.

Just poured a Founder's Breakfast Stout. Man, you talk about a heavy duty beer! Tons of coffee and dark chocolate in this one. Not sure I can drink more than one though.

You need to try the Kentucky Breakfast Stout!

That's cruel! You're absolutely right, but finding KBS is like finding PVW.

A bar here in town had some one night recently. They were letting people buy ONE bottle each, only to drink there. Kind of wish I had gotten down there to give it a try.

That's cruel! You're absolutely right, but finding KBS is like finding PVW.

Sorry. I won't mention Canadian Breakfast Stout then.

Cold, clean, crisp Polish beer last night--Zywiec! What's nice about Zywiec is it has a firm, malty body and just enough hop presence to keep you happy and refreshed. Get it!

512 Whiskey Barrel Aged Double Pecan Porter

So good!

There's a lot going on in that beer. Sounds like one I might like though.

I have a local bar with the left handed nitro milk stout on special. I have enjoyed it quite a bit.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.