What rye are you enjoying Spring 2012?

Jono
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Rittenhouse BIB is my favorite but I haven't been able to restock it, this being Ohio. Fortunately, a friend of a friend has promised to bring a couple of bottles from Binny's. There was, however, a WT 101 Rye at the back of my cabinet. I don't remember enjoying it this much in the past. Tastes like mint tea with honey.

The other night I did Ritt BIB, Saz Jr, Ritt 23, and Handy in that order. The Ritt 23 was star of the night.

A relatively local liquor store (Bottle Barn) has the 5-yr at the same price as Costco has the 3. I was shocked.

Oh yeah, that's where I got my 4 year. I love Bottle Barn (especially their FR1B); I've been going there for years. I grew up in Petaluma and my parents still live there, it's just hard to justify going farther North sometimes.

Just opened a Willett 4 year. First time I've come across it. First pour in the Glencairn is great. I bet this stuff makes a killer old fashioned.

Just opened a Willett 4 year. First time I've come across it. First pour in the Glencairn is great. I bet this stuff makes a killer old fashioned.

Just had my first THH and loved it. I need a couple more pours to confirm how much I enjoy it. This could be one to bunker up on.

Just knocked off my bottle of Old Potrero (90 proof) and baby Saz is on deck for tonight. Been a while since I had the latter, so I'm looking forward to it.

Hidden

We had a get together at Jake's place last night and got to enjoy some good rye I had not consumed before.

I compared the Bowman barrel-strength rye directly against the Handy. No contest, the 4 extra years on the Bowman make a tremendous difference. The nose on the Bowman was powerful, rich and complex. In comparison, the youth of the Handy became very apparent as the whiskey smelled much younger and alcoholic. The palate of the Bowman was bold like you would expect a cask strength to be and the Handy is always a punch in the mouth.

While there are similarities in the whiskeys, the Bowman just has so much more happening - it has sweetness and hotness like the Handy, but then the Bowman keeps coming. I think it is interesting that the older rye had more of those notes I associate with a youthful rye - menthol and black pepper. The finish on both was nice, but I the Bowman edges out the Handy here too. Verdict? I waited too long to buy the Bowman and now I realize what I missed out on.

I also had the opportunity to try the Hirsch 25. The first thought when you see the bottle is, who poured coffeee in this thing? This stuff is dark, and not merely Stagg dark. This is "I can hold it up and suck the light out of a 30 foot radius" kind of dark! The whiskey itself keeps this same dark theme. There is dark maple syrup, dark wet wood, and dark fruit. The finish starts rye and then turns to long and woody with something else in there I cannot place. This is a dark brooding whiskey that requires more time and contemplation then I could give it. While something I cannot see myself reaching for, I probably would revisit on a cold winter night.

We had a get together at Jake's place last night and got to enjoy some good rye I had not consumed before.

I compared the Bowman barrel-strength rye directly against the Handy. No contest, the 4 extra years on the Bowman make a tremendous difference. The nose on the Bowman was powerful, rich and complex. In comparison, the youth of the Handy became very apparent as the whiskey smelled much younger and alcoholic. The palate of the Bowman was bold like you would expect a cask strength to be and the Handy is always a punch in the mouth. While there are similarities in the whiskeys, the Bowman just has so much more happening - it has sweetness and hotness like the Handy, but then the Bowman keeps coming. I think it is interesting that the older rye had more of those notes I associate with a youthful rye - menthol and black pepper. The finish on both was nice, but I the Bowman edges out the Handy here too. Verdict? I waited too long to buy the Bowman and now I realize what I missed out on.

I also had the opportunity to try the Hirsch 25. The first thought when you see the bottle is, who poured coffeee in this thing? This stuff is dark, and not merely Stagg dark. This is "I can hold it up and suck the light out of a 30 foot radius" kind of dark! The whiskey itself keeps this same dark theme. There is dark maple syrup, dark wet wood, and dark fruit. The finish starts rye and then turns to long and woody with something else in there I cannot place. This is a dark brooding whiskey that requires more time and contemplation then I could give it. While something I cannot see myself reaching for, I probably would revisit on a cold Moscow night.

The highlight of the night (well, year actually) goes to a piece from Jake's jaw dropping collection. He has a tax strip Old Overholt from what I believe is around the mid 80's. This stuff was f****** amazing! The nose of the Overholt (not to be confused with the Overcoat version of recent years) is akin to sticking your head inside a 53 gallon drum of black licorice pieces - wonderful. The mouth feel is softer and thinner than I am used to and you almost expect it to go astringent a moment after it hits your tongue...and then..it doesn't. The vanilla sweetness comes first and then the rye builds. The alcohol is there, but it stays in the background and lets the flavors develop. The finish is rye with the oak nicely in the background adding to the complexity. When they coined the idiom "they don't make them like they used to", I am pretty sure they were talking about this bottle.

I compared the Bowman barrel-strength rye directly against the Handy. No contest, the 4 extra years on the Bowman make a tremendous difference. The nose on the Bowman was powerful, rich and complex. In comparison, the youth of the Handy became very apparent as the whiskey smelled much younger and alcoholic. The palate of the Bowman was bold like you would expect a cask strength to be and the Handy is always a punch in the mouth. While there are similarities in the whiskeys, the Bowman just has so much more happening - it has sweetness and hotness like the Handy, but then the Bowman keeps coming. I think it is interesting that the older rye had more of those notes I associate with a youthful rye - menthol and black pepper. The finish on both was nice, but I the Bowman edges out the Handy here too. Verdict? I waited too long to buy the Bowman and now I realize what I missed out on.

I also had the opportunity to try the Hirsch 25. The first thought when you see the bottle is, who poured coffeee in this thing? This stuff is dark, and not merely Stagg dark. This is "I can hold it up and suck the light out of a 30 foot radius" kind of dark! The whiskey itself keeps this same dark theme. There is dark maple syrup, dark wet wood, and dark fruit. The finish starts rye and then turns to long and woody with something else in there I cannot place. This is a dark brooding whiskey that requires more time and contemplation then I could give it. While something I cannot see myself reaching for, I probably would revisit on a cold Moscow night.

The highlight of the night (well, year actually) goes to a piece from Jake's jaw dropping collection. He has a tax strip Old Overholt from what I believe is around the mid 80's. This stuff was f****** amazing! The nose of the Overholt (not to be confused with the Overcoat version of recent years) is akin to sticking your head inside a 53 gallon drum of black licorice pieces - wonderful. The mouth feel is softer and thinner than I am used to and you almost expect it to go astringent a moment after it hits your tongue...and then..it doesn't. The vanilla sweetness comes first and then the rye builds. The alcohol is there, but it stays in the background and lets the flavors develop. The finish is rye with the oak nicely in the background adding to the complexity. When they coined the idiom "they don't make them like they used to", I am pretty sure they were talking about this bottle.

Great post! I'm EXTREMELY jealous! Couldn't you have said that some readily available bottle was the star of the night? ;)

Killed that Saz Jr last night it will be a while before it will be replaced if ever, not that fond of it too grassy or hay.

Drinking some WT 101 today and enjoying it the most I have in months. Recently, it always seems to taste very young and harsh to me. But today I get this rich caramel along with the spice. Very enjoyable and very lacking in the bunker.

Had a small pour of the Willett 5yr tonight while tending the grill for dinner. Helped to take the chill out of the early evening air.

This one really reminds me of Bulleit Rye, by ramped up a bit. It doesn't quite resemble what I remember of the 4yr bottles, but very good none the less.

It really had more of a intense rye taste, with a bit a pine, than the 4yr. But the 4yr seemed to have more "depth" in its overall taste, if that makes any sense.

I'll still give it a solid recommend to buy.

B

I just walked in the door from a long day at the office and poured the High West 36th Vote Barreled Manhattan. It uses the HW Double Rye which is a good choice as the spiciness plays very nicely against the sweet vermouth. Being barreled makes it seem a bit more integrated and suitable to my taste. A chilled bottle from the refrigerator may just become my drink this Summer.

Had a small pour of the Willett 5yr tonight while tending the grill for dinner. Helped to take the chill out of the early evening air.

This one really reminds me of Bulleit Rye, by ramped up a bit. It doesn't quite resemble what I remember of the 4yr bottles, but very good none the less.

It really had more of a intense rye taste, with a bit a pine, than the 4yr. But the 4yr seemed to have more "depth" in its overall taste, if that makes any sense.

I'll still give it a solid recommend to buy.

B

So given the choice which one would go into your bunker, the 4 or the 5?

At this point, I'd give the nod to the 4yr. The barrel that was mostly around me, 1122, was really good. I think i've got 5-6 of them stashed already.

I also need more time with the 5. I haven't gone through more than 1/4 of a bottle. It's still early in the game.

Maybe tonight the 4yr gets opened, i have a little spot available for it on the bar.

B

At this point, I'd give the nod to the 4yr. The barrel that was mostly around me, 1122, was really good. I think i've got 5-6 of them stashed already.

I also need more time with the 5. I haven't gone through more than 1/4 of a bottle. It's still early in the game.

Maybe tonight the 4yr gets opened, i have a little spot available for it on the bar.

B

Confirmed. I'll give the nod to the 4yr. It definitely seems to be the better of the two. Greater depth, a bit more sweetness, just a better all around.

Granted, we're talking a single barrel to another single barrel, so your experience may vary.

B

Had a pour of 2011 Saz 18 tonight. This bottle has been open roughly 4 months. While it is still very good and complex, it definitely has lost some concentration since being opened. The nose is still there and palate is stacked with spice and fruit flavors..... But the mid palate seems a little hollow, lacking some body. Maybe this is the result of being tanked for the past 7 years or so or just typical of older rye......not sure.

Confirmed. I'll give the nod to the 4yr. It definitely seems to be the better of the two. Greater depth, a bit more sweetness, just a better all around.

Granted, we're talking a single barrel to another single barrel, so your experience may vary.

B

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!