What rye are you enjoying Spring 2012?

Jono
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Had a pour of 2011 Saz 18 tonight. This bottle has been open roughly 4 months. While it is still very good and complex, it definitely has lost some concentration since being opened. The nose is still there and palate is stacked with spice and fruit flavors..... But the mid palate seems a little hollow, lacking some body. Maybe this is the result of being tanked for the past 7 years or so or just typical of older rye......not sure.

I've been noticing the same thing. I've got maybe 1/5 of a bottle to go - and it is just not very interesting anymore. Sacrilegious, but I'm thinking about pouring that last bit off into a Manhattan and giving that spot on the bar to something more exciting.

I cracked open a new bottle of Templeton Rye last night. I know there is

a lot of opposition toward Templeton, but I am fond of it............

I would like to hear about the Woodford Reserve Rye's if anyone has a report.

I cracked open a new bottle of Templeton Rye last night. I know there is

a lot of opposition toward Templeton, but I am fond of it............

I would like to hear about the Woodford Reserve Rye's if anyone has a report.

Much of the dislike has nothing to do with the quality of Templeton. I would recommend buying bottles of Bulleit and Willett Rye, tasting them against Templeton, and then consider the prices on all three. You may start to feel some opposition yourself.;)

Hirsch 25yr. Man, do I love this. If I could bunker this by the case I would, but then I wouldn't have enough money left over for the divorce proceedings.

Not Hirsch 25yr, but some Ritt BIB and WT 101, both are mighty tasty tonight.

Finished off a bottle of Ritt BIB myself tonight.

I'm guessing you didn't also start the bottle tonight, in which case your post would likely look like: findksfjghed ritehtendhooouse ryeeeeeeeeee!!!!

I'm guessing you didn't also start the bottle tonight, in which case your post would likely look like: findksfjghed ritehtendhooouse ryeeeeeeeeee!!!!

LMAO ..:lol:..you're obviously familiar with the lingo? !!.

No, I've been saving the last pour for no apparent reason. The bottle did go quick, but not one night quick.

It's amazing how fast a Ritt can go in my house. I don't care for it straight, but as the base for a Manhattan - it's sublime. I've converted many over to Ritt, albeit it foolishly as I have a hard enough time finding it as is.

It's amazing how fast a Ritt can go in my house. I don't care for it straight, but as the base for a Manhattan - it's sublime. I've converted many over to Ritt, albeit it foolishly as I have a hard enough time finding it as is.

That's why the only Ryes I recommend are Beam and OO.;)

We finally got the Willett Rye here in Atlanta. Enjoying the first LDi rye I've had that is over 90 proof. Now if we could just get a 100 proof 8 year old LDI......

My wife and I feel exactly the opposite. It is so good neat, we don't make Manhattans with Ritt. And especially because our demand exceeds the supply.

Straight, the profile is a little muddled for me. It's not quite a spicy, minty rye. It's bourbon-y. It is unique to my limited palate, just not where I go when looking for something to sip on. If that makes any sense.

Straight, the profile is a little muddled for me. It's not quite a spicy, minty rye. It's bourbon-y. It is unique to my limited palate, just not where I go when looking for something to sip on. If that makes any sense.

I'm with you in your opinion. Frankly, I've never really understood why people go ga-ga over Ritt 100. Is it good? Sure. Does it represent a good value? Absolutely. Is it a great Rye? Not IMHO.

I completely agree with you. It's no WT.

Me four. I thought I loved it but, boy, I got sick of it pretty fast. I never could get over the musty notes, and of course the lack of spiciness.

We finally got the Willett Rye here in Atlanta. Enjoying the first LDi rye I've had that is over 90 proof. Now if we could just get a 100 proof 8 year old LDI......

Yes!!! This stuff is great and exceptionally smooth for 110 proof. And a good price too!

I completely agree with you. It's no WT.

Although we all love bourbon (and rye). I always forget just how much taste and preference varies from person to person.

I love Ritt, but think that WT rye is mediocre at best.

Although we all love bourbon (and rye). I always forget just how much taste and preference varies from person to person.

I love Ritt, but think that WT rye is mediocre at best.

Right now the best "cheap" rye I have open is Saz jr. This boTtle is far better than the previous ones I've had. The best WT rye I've had would still beat it, though. My current Ritt fallls somewhere in the middle.

Rittenhouse BIB as I avoid working on my last college presentation. Hitting the spot tonight.

Vintage 21, absolutely fantastic whiskey. Getting a little more wood and spice as I work through this bottle, but not too much. Still has a full mouthfeel and richness that balances the spice differently than most, not sweet, yet rich, if that makes any sense.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!