What rye are you enjoying Spring 2012?

Jono
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Yeah, other ryes have been vying for, and in fact, stealing my attention lately. But sipping on this Baby Saz right now, I am quickly reminded of the one I truly have eyes for. What a wonderful rye whiskey this is.

My first Bowman TPS rye is getting pretty darn low after tonite's pour...good thing I've got a couple more bunkered. I broke this back out last week at about the 33% remaining mark after having placed it in the back shelf reserves after the holidays in January. Quite honestly, it has leveled out very, very nicely with little or no loss of power. It was great when first opened and absolutely fabulous now with several new fruit flavors to note.

:drink: :drink:

Sitting here reading a book enjoying a pour of Wild Turkey 101 Rye. I have none bunkered so this bottle is a slow goodbye to a good lower-tier rye.

Been doing a number on a bottle of Bulleit Rye these past couple of days.

Really surprised at just how much I have been enjoying this.

Opening a bottle of RR6 Rye as I type this from my hotel room. It struck me at the liquor store that I've never even tried this before.

The Bulleit Rye is more of a "Monongehela Rye" than almost anything else on the market at the moment. Having been raised in Western Pennsylvania, I quickly developed a connection to it, and it is now a staple of my collection. I currently have a bottle of Knob Creek Rye, and I enjoy it-- but the Bulleit Rye is the first thing that comes to my mind when I hear the words "Rye Whiskey!"

I just finished a bottle of Bulleit rye, first one I've gone through. I like it.

I was happy to find a bottle of Willet 4 yo rye a couple of weeks ago, and on special occasions I break out the 2011 Thomas H. Handy (by far my favorite rye of all time!)

Vintage 21 - on most nights this is the one to beat. However, I am tasting more wood in this whiskey than I normally do; the exact reason I don't like the V23. This goes to show that my palate does change on certain days. I have experienced days where whiskeys were so good I wanted to cry and some days where top shelf selections tasted as good as Rebel Yell.

Edited by LostBottle

I can't find Sazerac 6-year in PA anymore, so now I'm drinking KC Rye and Bulleit Rye.

Vintage 21 - on most nights this is the one to beat. However, I am tasting more wood in this whiskey than I normally do; the exact reason I don't like the V23. This goes to show that my palate does change on certain days. I have experienced days where whiskeys were so good I wanted to cry and some days where top shelf selections tasted as good as Rebel Yell.

For what it's worth, I don't find anything glaringly-wrong with Rebel Yell, except that it seems a little "under-developed"-- like a "late blooming" girl who hasn't filled-out in the hips and thighs just yet.

Isn't it interesting how that works. It can be really frustrating sometimes, but it's so good when it's right that it makes up for the disappointments. I think sometimes you just need to give your palate time to acclimate. Yesterday I was looking forward to an evening pour of a favorite Bourbon but it really tasted off on the first sip or two. It got better each sip and by the time I finished it, it had become the old friend I remembered.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!