4/25/76 Michter's In 223rd Year...

boone
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have been sorting through some records...Trying to make a little order around here skep.gif...I don't think that I will ever get it done frown.gif...I will find something and instead of puttin it where it belongs...I will re-read it...then, search for something that relates to it...Then, I find something else and decide to post it here...before ya know it...Three hours have passed...I ain't got a damn thing done yet...Oh Well, I've been try to get this task done since Christmas...

Most of ya know my folks...but some of ya don't...for those who don't...This is from the files of my Uncle Charles Everett Beam...(aka, C.E. Beam aka, Everett and for grin.gif me Uncle Everett grin.gif...) He worked and retired from Michter's for 40+ years...Michter's was renouned for the "Pot Still Whiskey" which he (C.E. Beam) developed for Pennco Distiller's (Michter's)...

Everytime I read this...I wonder...What happened?...What went terribly wrong?...Sounded as if things were gonna lift off the ground...but frown.gif sadly frown.gif it didn't...

The Sunday News, April 25, 1976 (Lancaster Pennsylvania)

Michter's in 223 Year

Oldest Distillery Offers Look At Colonial Process

Schaeferstown----America's oldest operating distillery, now called Michter's Distillery and Jug House, in Schaeferstown, fifteen miles west of Hershey and twenty miles north of Lancaster, opens it's doors to tourist this spring, marketing the 223rd year since whiskey was first distilled on the premisis in 1753.

A group of local Lebanon County businessmen acquired the distillery last summer and have since begun to produce the original "Pot Still" sour mash whiskey for which the distillery is famous.

Producing a quality whiskey through the costlier and more time-consuming Pot still method. However, was only one objective of the new owner's, according to Louis Forman, President. Careful restoration of three of the original distillery buildings to the early 19th Century appearance has been largely completed, and guided tours are offered throughout the year.

In excavating a variety of old whiskey and medicine bottles were found and are on display in the visitor reception area. Last June the distillery was give the proper recognition of its historical significance when the United States Government placed it in the National Register of Historic Places.

TOURS TAKE THE VISITOR through the modern plant, which, to asure the quality, has a limited capacity of 50 barrels a day. The tour also transports the visitor into the 18th century by means of a authentic double pot still and related distillery apparatus, including three small wooden fermenter casks, that produce one barrel of whiskey a day. A mule and wagon will be used both to haul the locally grown grain to the small distillery, as well as to remove each day's one-barrel production to one of the distilleries bonded warehouses. The miniature distillery housed in one of the distillery buildings, will permit the visitor to closly observe the entire distillation process largely as it was performed in colonial days.

The significant role that whiskey has played in the history of the United States, from Whiskey Rebellion to Prohibition, is related as part of the tour at Michter's Distillery. For example, the visitor learns that George Washington, himself a distiller, (controops?) of supply.

In fact, Michter's Distillery may well have been one of the stops that General Washington made during his visits to the area to inspect the iron works at nearby Cornwall, where cannon shot was made for his revelotionary militia.

Unlike anyother disitllery in the United States, Michter's can sell it products at the distillery. A law passed by the PA state legislature allows distilleries of historical significance, established a hundered years prior to Jan.1st 1975, to sell at retail the whiskey produced on the premisis. The jug house, where German immigrant farmers traveled in horse-drawn carts to fill their jugs directly from the barrels lining the walls of the old whiskey store, is not the room where Michter's sour mash whiskey can be purchased.

Michter's Distillery and Jug House is located six miles from the Lebanon-Lancaster turnpike interchange, exit 20 off route 419N. Signs in the area direct the traveler.

April through October tours will be offered seven days a week from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. An admission fee is charged.

The End...

The original "Pot Still" has been moved to Bardstown...I'll give ya three guesses who owns it...

grin.gif Beams grin.gif Of course grin.gifgrin.gif Would ya like to see it while at the fest this year?...Let me know...I'll arrange a time to set up a "group" tour...

grin.gifgrin.gif Bettye Jo grin.gifgrin.gif

and of course lol.gif Erica lol.gif

Bettye Jo,

Thanks for taking the time to find, and post, this info. It does make one wonder, given what this article says, what happened to make the distillery close. It certainly is a loss for us bourbon fans, but also due to its historical significance. frown.gif

Bob

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for the post. I am one of the Beam's that now has possesion of the Pot Still. We are always interested in talking to people about the still. To learn more about its history and to figure out the best way bring it back to life.

Thanks,

Here's an idea. Who here among us would be willing to make a modest investment -- let's say $500 for the sake of argument -- with only the most speculative hope of ever seeing any return on that investment, for the purpose of capitalizing a Kentucky corporation, headed by one or several members of the Beam family, with the intention of beginning a small scale distilling operation using said still?

Count me in.

That's if most of us could refrain from 'taste testing' our product. wink.gif But on a serious not, that is a prospect I would actually have to give heavy consdieration to. Just having something to do with the actual complete process from beginning to end would be interesting.

I'd be in!! smile.gif

>Who here among us would be willing to make a modest investment...

>...for the purpose of capitalizing a Kentucky corporation...

I'm in.

I am in, seriously. cool.gif But, I want a private barrel proof bottling for all charter investors. The hard part will be waiting 12 - 18 years to get it. crazy.gif

count me in too!!

shocked.gifshocked.gifnow what can I Pawn to come up with $500 blush.gifblush.gif

TomC

Oh hell yeah! I'll put in more than that. toast.gif

In Like Flint, too.

No, that's not a sequel appearing near you.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.