Tequila Forum

Max Power

As a whiskey drinker I tend to gravitate towards the anejo's and even extra anejo's although I do like ones that maintain at least some balance between the barrel and the natural agave character. I rarely use blanco even in tequila based cocktails. Even my preferred personal margarita uses a reposado!

Coming from the mezcal side I could see where you might be more inclined toward blanco and reposado tequila's, at least initially.

As noted above Max and others provided a lot of worthwhile information in this thread.

19 hours ago, Kane said:

Folks, I have a lot of experience with and a large collection of Mezcal, different agave varietals, producers... But I'm just beginning to explore tequila. I know, it is usually the other way around.

Keeping in mind that I am familiar with agave in general, could you please give me a few pointers to get me started? Specifically, I am looking at advanced-level drinks at this point, with the presumption that my mezcal background is sufficient to appreciate non-entry tequilas (I might be terribly wrong there!). But I am hesitant to go & randomly buy those fancy extra anejos, as everybody recommends starting out with younger spirits that retain the blue agave character.

Atm I have the Partida Reposado and Fortaleza Anejo in my bar. Took 2 pours from the former and enjoying its familiar agave taste combined with mild oak flavors. Aged agave spirits is relatively new to me, as most of the best mezcals around are unaged.

If you're more accustomed to non-oak-aged agave spirits, I recommend starting with blanco tequilas. I know you're looking for more "advanced" tequilas, but I caution you against equating advanced with being aged. In my opinion blancos can be every bit as challenging and interesting as reposados, anejos, etc. It's just a matter of personal preference.

It looks like you already have the Fortaleza Anejo. In my opinion the real star of Fortaleza's lineup is their blanco, so that's a good one to try if you haven't yet.

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Coming from the mezcal side I could see where you might be more inclined toward blanco and reposado tequila's, at least initially.

Second pour from the Fortaleza anejo tonight, and it still feels alien for sure. But that doesn't mean I am not enjoying it!

7 hours ago, Kpiz said:

In my opinion the real star of Fortaleza's lineup is their blanco, so that's a good one to try if you haven't yet.

I've lost count of how many times I got this recommendation in the past couple of weeks :) I will need to try that blanco asap.

Earlier today I sampled the Partida blanco and an Ocho blanco at a bar -- unfortunately didn't know about Ocho's vintage releases until now, so I'll need to go back and take a picture of the bottle at some point. Besides the obvious lack of smoke, I didn't find them *that* different from a decent mezcal to be honest. I'll keep exploring and collecting more data points, but at the moment I am more intrigued by the aged tequilas.

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite is the T1 Estelar. I wasn't impressed with Fortaleza or Cuervo Res De Familia.

In fact, I find there to be a lot of noise in the high end tequila zone. Lots of "status bottles" that don't taste any better than well chosen $50 ones.

I used to be crazy about Riazul anejo and reposado (still love it). It's aged in cognac barrels and has a nice sweet taste that plays well with the agave character. Bought a boat load of it a while back so won't be needing any more for a very long time.

The Hornitos Black Barrel made some amazing Margaritas for my guests and I last summer.

10 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

My favorite is the T1 Estelar. I wasn't impressed with Fortaleza or Cuervo Res De Familia.

In fact, I find there to be a lot of noise in the high end tequila zone. Lots of "status bottles" that don't taste any better than well chosen $50 ones.

I used to be crazy about Riazul anejo and reposado (still love it). It's aged in cognac barrels and has a nice sweet taste that plays well with the agave character. Bought a boat load of it a while back so won't be needing any more for a very long time.

The Hornitos Black Barrel made some amazing Margaritas for my guests and I last summer.

Apparently I like Fortaleza a bit more than you (and also like Excellia with its Sauternes and Cognac cask influence) but I am a really big fan of the cognac finished El Tesoro Paradiso and tried their upcoming Anniversary bottle at Tales which I also liked. Fat chance it will show up in my area though.

A friend was just down in Guadalajara/Tequila on a Cuervo/Dobel sponsored boondoogle (I missed the trip because of a stupid work obligation. it is seriously interfering with my drinking time and I need to do something about that!) and spent some time in the Cuervo family cellars. The Reserva de Familia they release may not be all that but apparently they have a few aging in demijohns in the family cellars that are!

Edited by tanstaafl2

The comments about the Fortaleza blanco being the star of the line up have raised my eyebrow (I usually start with anejos when I check out a brand). But these days there is a growing distance between raising my eyebrow and opening my wallet. I'll get there eventually.

And tell me about the work interference! - I haven't had a drink since July 30, and won't until September 5thish.

Yes I totally believe Cuervo is hiding some honey barrels down there. Still would love to do a trip down there myself, but I have a much longer list of wishes than I do pay stubs these days. The good news is that tequila will wait - there's nothing going extinct about it, fortunately.

Edited by The Black Tot

• 2 weeks later...

For those who have tried Don Julio 1942, what tequilas if any, would you consider to be as smooth and flavorful as it?  DJ 1942 is like drinking water.

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, DCFan said:

"Described as a blend of the oldest and rarest of tequilas hand-selected from Patron’s barrel aging room, it is aged for four years [...] "

Not a tequila expert, but I'm pretty sure older juice could be had for far less than that. But, of course, Patron.

For those who have tried Don Julio 1942, what tequilas if any, would you consider to be as smooth and flavorful as it?  DJ 1942 is like drinking water.

Don Julio 1942 is like drinking a vanilla cake drizzled with honey. Such delicious stuff.

Closest thing I could recommend would be Z tequilas Extra Anejo. Definitely less vanilla (because anything will have less vanilla), but still lots of delicious barrel influence in more of a caramel kinda way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read through the first 10 pages and decided to skip to the end.  I'll go back and read the rest later.

My beginnings with tequila was Cuervo Especial and Montezuma blanco.  I never knew how good REAL tequila could be until I cruised to Cozumel and they offered samples of dang near everything!  Wow!  What an eye opener!  Wound up bringing home Cazadores reposado and anejo, 100 Anos reposado, Sauza Hacienda Black Label  reposado, El Aguijon reposado, and Casa Noble reposado (anyone else notice a pattern?).  

The 100 Anos was very good to me and was 3 liters for $21!!  The Cazadores reposado, to me, was smoother than the anejo and had more agave flavor, it was quite good.  Sauza was bolder but still very smooth. Casa Noble and El Aguijon were excellent!  Really wish I could get the EA here in the states because it's one of the best I've had so far.

On 9/12/2017 at 8:45 AM, TexanBrad said:

Thanks

Don Julio 1942 is like drinking a vanilla cake drizzled with honey. Such delicious stuff.

Closest thing I could recommend would be Z tequilas Extra Anejo. Definitely less vanilla (because anything will have less vanilla), but still lots of delicious barrel influence in more of a caramel kinda way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I was at a hipster Mexican restaurant, so I tried their Tequila-based Old Fashioned. It was A+!097556d225f0f25156918f8af91d3fd4.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

On 9/29/2017 at 7:41 PM, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

I was at a hipster Mexican restaurant, so I tried their Tequila-based Old Fashioned. It was A+!097556d225f0f25156918f8af91d3fd4.jpg

Interesting. I was at that same hipster Mexican restaurant (which the website described as "Latin inspired cuisine" from  "Mexico, The Caribbean, Central and South America as well as the American Southwest" which is pretty broad I suppose!) and tried the same drink. I was less impressed as it seemed like they didn't put enough of the Hornito's tequila in it. But maybe I had a different bartender on a slow Sunday night? In any case I was a bit underwhelmed. Last night at Middle Fork was a little better though!

Interesting. I was at that same hipster Mexican restaurant (which the website described as "Latin inspired cuisine" from  "Mexico, The Caribbean, Central and South America as well as the American Southwest" which is pretty broad I suppose!) and tried the same drink. I was less impressed as it seemed like they didn't put enough of the Hornito's tequila in it. But maybe I had a different bartender on a slow Sunday night? In any case I was a bit underwhelmed. Last night at Middle Fork was a little better though!
What did you drink and eat at Middle Fork?

Yes, the drinks were very good and the bar was pretty extensive. The food was pretty good and certainly inventive if a bit pricey. Seems like a date kind of place with a lot of 2 seat tables. Only a few place could hold a bigger group. Not too crowded on a Monday but supposed to be  pretty busy Thursday-Saturday.

Dont want to slam the other place just on one visit. Just thought my cocktail could have been better but it was a Sunday so maybe not the usual crew at the bar.

^^^Glad you enjoyed MF Bruce.  They really do have a very nicely stocked bar! 

That area has really become quite a hot-spot.  So much so, that parking is often a challenge!  :blink:

36 minutes ago, Paddy said:

^^^Glad you enjoyed MF Bruce.  They really do have a very nicely stocked bar! 

That area has really become quite a hot-spot.  So much so, that parking is often a challenge!  :blink:

Yeah, we want by Uber since we had been picking a couple of barrels earlier that day at BT so it seemed prudent. :D

Not bad on a Monday night but the driver said it was usually a zoo on the weekends. And apparently it wasn't that long ago that they paved the main lot. Before that it could apparently be even more of a mess!

• 3 months later...

Since it's Taco Tuesday at our house we decided to also make it Tequila Tuesday. One of our friends gave us a bottle of Clase Azul  Reposada for Christmas and together we drank most of the bottle so tonight seemed to be a great time to finish off the last four shots.  While we were in VA a few weeks back we found the Clase Azul Anejo and decided to spring for one.    It appears tonight might very well be one for the record book! 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Giving tequila a chance. 40 bucks and I have no idea if it is a good representation of the spirit, but it tastes good to me. 

3958A480-6B72-4394-98F7-FBE806011558.jpeg

Just grabbed a Don Julio Blanco on a whim. Kind of enjoyed a 2 finger pour with a cube. Never really been a tequila guy but branching out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Charlutz said:

Giving tequila a chance. 40 bucks and I have no idea if it is a good representation of the spirit, but it tastes good to me. 

3958A480-6B72-4394-98F7-FBE806011558.jpeg

I'm not an expert either, but make sure you also try a blanco before you deliver your verdict. So many inexpensive but tasty options.

18 hours ago, Kane said:

I'm not an expert either, but make sure you also try a blanco before you deliver your verdict. So many inexpensive but tasty options.

Coming from a brown liquor background (and bias), what is the appeal of a blanco?

9 minutes ago, Charlutz said:

Coming from a brown liquor background (and bias), what is the appeal of a blanco?

The problem is brown tequilas taste a bit too much like other brown spirits. I personally don't always find that welcome. Tequila has a very unique baked agave characteristic that shines through when the juice is young, and gradually disappears with aging. It doesn't necessarily need oak to be complex. And if you find that taste pleasant you may like a blanco better. Reposados are also an interesting middle ground.

I've found many extra anejos and anejos that I simply didn't enjoy all that much, while the blancos and reposados of the same lineup were killing it (e.g., Fortaleza). That said, there are excellent extra anejos out there too. It's just that you should try them all and taste the difference for yourself, maybe you find yourself a clear winner.

• I like it 1

45 minutes ago, Kane said:

The problem is brown tequilas taste a bit too much like other brown spirits. I personally don't always find that welcome. Tequila has a very unique baked agave characteristic that shines through when the juice is young, and gradually disappears with aging. It doesn't necessarily need oak to be complex. And if you find that taste pleasant you may like a blanco better. Reposados are also an interesting middle ground.

I've found many extra anejos and anejos that I simply didn't enjoy all that much, while the blancos and reposados of the same lineup were killing it (e.g., Fortaleza). That said, there are excellent extra anejos out there too. It's just that you should try them all and taste the difference for yourself, maybe you find yourself a clear winner.

Whereas, I agree that a tasting through the full range is recommended if one is looking to explore tequila (or anything for that matter) with any kind of depth, I don’t see any correlation between Brown tequila tasting like other brown spirits, as you say. Each Brown spirit is radically different from the next despite their each spending time in a Barrel, and most anejos spend very little time when compared to other aged spirits.