Col. E.H. Taylor Straight Rye

StraightNoChaser
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Ok, so there are NO details on this yet but I am just teeming with excitement for it. I've been vocal about my distaste for BT bourbons, however I love anything rye that comes out of there. In fact, I think some of the ryes they produce are the top of their class. VWFRR and THH being the leading examples, naturally.

All that being said, this new straight rye from BT is making me drool. To me it is the missing link between Handy and VW. I haven't been this excited for a new whiskey in a while now, especially after the let down that the previous releases of EHT have been for me.

Labels from COLA, courtesy of dbk

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13026&d=1325878102

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13027&d=1325878129

Yeah, but how will they price it? Up here the retail for Handy is $60, and the VWFRR is $45, but all the EHTs have been $60 or more. So there is a good chance that you'd have to pay more for the EHT rye than the others.

All the EHT around here is about $65, but then again so is Handy and VWFRR (when you can find it)

If it's as good as I'm imagining, I won't have too much of a problem forking over the dough. Plus, I have friends at lots of stores so I will probably buy it for below retail.

Um. I can't find VWFRR or Handy anywhere (except my closet) so i will give this a whirl

How old? Unless it's somewhere around 10-12 yrs., it's not really a missing link.

Well, I'm hoping it's at least 10 years old. I think 10 yr 100 proof BT rye would be pretty phenomenal

Well, I'm hoping it's at least 10 years old. I think 10 yr 100 proof BT rye would be pretty phenomenal

Should be. We know from current discussion that the 13yr BT rye is liked by most.

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself on this one. With recent threads it's just been so easy to throw gas on the fire.

B

I am excited about this one. I find the regular Sazerac rye to be great and Handy to be exceptional. This leaves me really excited about a possible 10 year old Bottled in Bond rye. If only it weren't chill filtered...

• 3 months later...
I've been vocal about my distaste for BT bourbons, however I love anything rye that comes out of there.

I would include their wheated bourbons as very good but the others I am with you on that and the rye whiskies.

I on the edge about the current barrel proof but I am looking forward to the rye release.

I bailed after the first Col Taylor release but I too am looking forward to this rye whisky.

Any idea when we can expect to see this on the shelves? I've enjoyed the EH Taylors thus far, maybe I'm the fool being parted from his money, but I've enjoyed seeing the new stuff every couple of months. Its hard to wait for the fall to get here.

Any idea when we can expect to see this on the shelves? I've enjoyed the EH Taylors thus far, maybe I'm the fool being parted from his money, but I've enjoyed seeing the new stuff every couple of months. Its hard to wait for the fall to get here.

Went on the BT tour yesterday and actually saw this being loaded off the fork trucks, so it won't be long.

I'm guessing this will be a really good rye, but it will be disconcerting if it is in the $80-$90 range that the EH Taylor's have been in my area.

More overpriced rye from BT. Pardon me for not celebrating.

I'm thinking watered down Thomas H. Handy under a different label? And at a similarly high price point. Hmmm.

Edited by HP12

I'm thinking watered down Thomas H. Handy under a different label? And at a similarly high price point. Hmmm.

I know what you mean but I am hoping it isn't.

Handy at barrel proof is good but at 6 1/2 years old it is young.

This new Taylor rye is 100 proof but if it is at least 10 years old then I'll pay the price.

I know what you mean but I am hoping it isn't.

Handy at barrel proof is good but at 6 1/2 years old it is young.

This new Taylor rye is 100 proof but if it is at least 10 years old then I'll pay the price.

Ah, I was under the impression that THH was around the 10yo mark. In the BT family line of rye, I thought Baby Saz was around 6 (even after removing the age statement), THH was 10ish and Saz 18 was, well, Saz 18yo.

So the next question is, is the EHT Rye from the same mashbill as the THH?

Ah, I was under the impression that THH was around the 10yo mark.

THH is only 6 1/2 years old, that is why some have criticized it for being in the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection.

So the next question is, is the EHT Rye from the same mashbill as the THH?

BT has only one rye mashbill. So, unless it is from Barton's stocks (hghly unlikely), it'll be the same as Saz and THH.

THH is only 6 1/2 years old, that is why some have criticized it for being in the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection.
BT has only one rye mashbill. So, unless it is from Barton's stocks (hghly unlikely), it'll be the same as Saz and THH.

Thanks for the clarification guys. I'm a little more educated today due to my brethren.

Okay. So 60+ for a 6 yo rye?

My excitement has officially been tempered. I would still like to try it, however.

Okay. So 60+ for a 6 yo rye?

My excitement has officially been tempered. I would still like to try it, however.

To be fair we don't know the age yet. (or do we?)

As I said earlier I'll pay Handy price even though it's 100 proof but only if it's at least 10 years old.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.