Col. E.H. Taylor Straight Rye

StraightNoChaser
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hey, something has to fill the void left by Wild Turkey 101 Rye's disappearance.......

To be fair we don't know the age yet. (or do we?)

As I said earlier I'll pay Handy price even though it's 100 proof but only if it's at least 10 years old.

There's no way it's at least 10 years old. It looks like there's two labels too, one referencing BiB status and the other just referencing Taylor himself. The BiB one says "Distilled, Aged and Bottled" and includes the DSP, whereas the other label just says "Distilled and Bottled" and has no DSP on it. Looks like at least two batches of this stuff, and there's no telling how different they might be from each other.

I still have high hopes, but I do not like the idea of one expensive release made up of differing batches with very little, if any, information available to tell them apart.

They officially announced this today. Here's the most interesting line from the press release.

"An altogether different recipe and profile than Sazerac Rye, this recipe contains just rye and malted barley, no corn."

It is BIB but NAS.

Colonel E.H. Taylor, Jr. Straight Rye Whiskey will be available in late August and will be released annually. The suggested retail price is $69.99 for a 750ml bottle.

"An altogether different recipe and profile than Sazerac Rye, this recipe contains just rye and malted barley, no corn."

It is BIB but NAS.

[QUOTE][/QUOTE]

I'm done with young green whiskies.

BT can keep it.

They officially announced this today. Here's the most interesting line from the press release.

It is BIB but NAS.

Colonel E.H. Taylor, Jr. Straight Rye Whiskey will be available in late August and will be released annually. The suggested retail price is $69.99 for a 750ml bottle.

Wait a minute. All rye and malted barley, NAS, and over-priced? Hell, why not just buy a bottle of Templeton?

The mash bill is very interesting, this is a typical Pennsylvania mash bill of the old days, i.e., for once we get from a mainstream distiller a rye whiskey made without corn.

Sounds promising.

Gary

I'm done with young green whiskies.

BT can keep it.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts as well. High West and Whistlepig will continue to get my dollars, not this CEHT "premium" market positioned NAS nonsense.

Edited by LostBottle

This pretty much sums up my thoughts as well. High West and Whistlepig will continue to get my dollars, not this CEHT "premium" market positioned NAS nonsense.

Will, I assume you mean dusty hunting HW age stated ryes as I doubt there will be any new rye labels from them. Whistlepig is good, but overpriced as well. I say give the CEHT rye a chance. Looking forward to tasting this new expression from BT.

I should be getting a sample, so we'll see how green it is. I wondered if they made it in their micro-still and they did not. I am told it is a recipe they decided to experiment with 'a few years ago.' They won't, of course, put a number to the 'few,' but they apparently kept making it every year, because this is supposed to be an annual release, not a one-off. And since they made it in the big still, they made at least as much as they did with the sour mash experiment.

I know it was made to try a new rye recipe and not specifically for Taylor, so presumably it was made before the Taylor acquisition. It might not be all that green.

I like the fact that they are bottling some stuff as Taylor that's not available in any other product.

What I want to know is when we're going to see some Barton rye without having to go to northern Wisconsin to get a handle of Fleischmann's.

Edited by cowdery

What I want to know is when we're going to see some Barton rye without having to go to northern Wisconsin to get a handle of Fleischmann's.

So... NAS BIB rye and malt only whiskey.... Will be curious to see the DSP on this bottle.

That would be "kiss some Wisconsinite's ass," Josh.

I beg your pardon. Personally I prefer Michganese to the more common Michigander. Michigander sounds like a type of duck.

All the whistlepig I've seen is priced at $70 - $75, at least as much as the CEHT's or more.

Hidden

In the not too distant past it was heard that a fair amount of rye made a trip from Virginia to Kentucky..... possibly a return trip, possibly not???

Is this a Kentucky Straight Rye?

:lol: that's the first thing I thought of too, but according to the COLA it's "Distilled, aged and bottled by Old Fashioned Copper Distillery, Frankfort, KY, DSP-113."

I wonder what the ratio of rye to malt is.

Buffalo Trace made it in Frankfort.

One good thing about kissing Wisconsin ass is that you don't have to worry about missing.

Buffalo Trace made it in Frankfort.

One good thing about kissing Wisconsin ass is that you don't have to worry about missing.

:lol::lol: Good one.

It's too bad they won't put an age statement on it, even if it's only 4 years old. At that price, I don't think it's unfair for me to ask for a little transparency.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.