Col. E.H. Taylor Straight Rye

StraightNoChaser
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Will, I assume you mean dusty hunting HW age stated ryes as I doubt there will be any new rye labels from them. Whistlepig is good, but overpriced as well. I say give the CEHT rye a chance. Looking forward to tasting this new expression from BT.

Buffalo Trace made it in Frankfort.

One good thing about kissing Wisconsin ass is that you don't have to worry about missing.

I'm never again gonna worry about being off-topic! ;)

The information I've read said the 11 year old is going to be priced at $111. It would follow that the 12 year old will then be even more expensive. You may be paying $50 more for 3 times the age.

That said, I'm not excited about the CEHT (or most of this hyped brand in general). I have a few bottles of WTR101 in the bunker that I bought for $20. I don't know that I believe the QPR is there for the CEHT.

You make a couple good points here that I will concede I agree with. I will give the whiskey a try and will buy a bottle if it blows me away - I am just not sure a NAS rye will do that though. I also agree that Whistlepig is overpriced at ~$75, but at 10 years old (soon to be twelve) it looks much less so when compared to a $70 rye we have to assume is only 4 years old - I will gladly pay $5 extra for 3 times the age! I will miss the older High West ryes, but Rendezvous is also phenomenal with it's 6/16 mix and can be had for less than $50 which also makes it a good value.

Dave, I think the only way to really answer our questions and concerns is to get together later this Fall and try it in comparison to a smorgasbord of good rye I happen to have laying around.

The information I've read said the 11 year old is going to be priced at $111. It would follow that the 12 year old will then be even more expensive.

Thanks for that bit of info, I had no idea. If true, someone needs to let Whistlepig know 11 years is a full decade short of a rye worth 3 figures.

Any idea why the label (at least as recently approved by TTB) lists both DSP 12 and 113? (The other CEHT releases didn't.)

Any idea why the label (at least as recently approved by TTB) lists both DSP 12 and 113? (The other CEHT releases didn't.)

Perhaps they are looking to use the bottling line at Barton as well.

For BIB, you have to show where distilled and where bottled. I could argue that the way the most recent approved label deals with the DSPs is not really responsive to the rule, since it doesn't tell you where it was distilled and bottled, it just limits the possibilities.

They told me it was distilled at BT, but it's possible they aged it at Barton. As much warehouse capacity as Barton has, and as little as they've been distilling, tells me they're using the warehouses at Barton for whiskey they're distilling in Frankfort.

They won't bottle something that's aged at BT in Bardstown, but they can distill something in Frankfort, tanker it to Bardstown, and enter and age it there. if they do that they'll bottle it in Bardstown too. Bottle it where it's aged isn't any legal thing, it's just more efficient and I know that's Sazerac's policy.

It seems odd that they would do anything involving Taylor anywhere except BT since that was the whole idea behind acquiring the brand from Beam, to bring the brand back to the distillery Taylor once owned. However, when they distilled the first batch of this rye they had no idea it was going to be Taylor. Although it's NAS, we know it's at least four years old, which would mean it was distilled in 2008 at the latest, and they didn't acquire Taylor until the summer of 2009.

Edited by cowdery

Yesterday I was in my local store. They had some BT rye white dog. I always like to check out other folks white dog. I have Heaven Hills, but never had the BT. Boy was I suprised. I would have never guessed it to be rye. Had not rye smell to it at all. Smelled like malt whiskey. I do like their aged version, but never would have guessed it came from this.

Yesterday I was in my local store. They had some BT rye white dog. I always like to check out other folks white dog. I have Heaven Hills, but never had the BT. Boy was I suprised. I would have never guessed it to be rye. Had not rye smell to it at all. Smelled like malt whiskey. I do like their aged version, but never would have guessed it came from this.

Now that my THH has been open for a few weeks, I'm getting a strong malt flavor from it that was completely invisible when I first opened it.

Allow me to bring it back. Had a chance to taste the Taylor rye. Like it. Mint jumped out. Bears some resemblance to LDI rye, but just a little. Seems older. Certainly more barrel notes. Decently aged, not too hot. Wants a little water. Also wants a little corn. I find all of these all-rye ryes lack body. Anyway, it's a very worthy whiskey. Up to you if it's worth the price. I only got a tiny bottle, but it was free.

Mint jumped out.

Wants a little water.

Also wants a little corn.

I find all of these all-rye ryes lack body.

Thanx 4 the review, I'll pass on this one.

They won't tell me exactly, but 90% rye, 10% malt is a good guess. If you're just using malt for the enzymes, there's no reason to use more, and it's a lot more expensive. I assume that LDI gets away with 95% rye, 5% malt by using supplemental enzymes.

Allow me to bring it back. Had a chance to taste the Taylor rye. Like it. Mint jumped out. Bears some resemblance to LDI rye, but just a little. Seems older. Certainly more barrel notes. Decently aged, not too hot. Wants a little water. Also wants a little corn. I find all of these all-rye ryes lack body. Anyway, it's a very worthy whiskey. Up to you if it's worth the price. I only got a tiny bottle, but it was free.

5 % percent of distillers malt will convert it. The regular stuff on the market is strong as anything you would ever wish for. Like brylcream, just a little dab will do you. Malt will stil work in the fermenter as well, but I imagine they are having to use a beta glucanase at least so they can pump it and take pressure off the yeast. I am going to have to try a bottle of this. I rather like that style of rye. Just wish it were more affordable.

So many products today are some standard juice with another label slapped on it. I give Saz credit for creating a unique-from-scratch whiskey and making it available in only one product. That gives you a justification for the price. Whether or not it's worth the price is a different question.

Here is a good review of the new rye. Sounds like this will be a limited annual release - shocking BT would release a "rare" and allocated whiskey from a hyped label...

Edited by LostBottle

That's a lot of scratch.

Hoping to hear some things from others here first before deciding whether or not to give it a go.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.