Col. E.H. Taylor Straight Rye

StraightNoChaser
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

"By comparison, the 6-year old Sazerac Straight Rye is the Trace’s Old Overholt, and the 18-year old Sazerac it’s *Wild Turkey 101 Straight Rye*: the high-quality standard and the premium expressions of this American classic."

Nothing like invoking a ghost product that no one can get unless they stumble on it at the back of a shelf. :/

"By comparison, the 6-year old Sazerac Straight Rye is the Trace’s Old Overholt, and the 18-year old Sazerac it’s *Wild Turkey 101 Straight Rye*: the high-quality standard and the premium expressions of this American classic."

Nothing like invoking a ghost product that no one can get unless they stumble on it at the back of a shelf. :/

I knew there was a reason I never liked Saz 18.

But seriously, what an odd thing for the reviewer to say. I :lol:d

Anyway, $70, that's a lot for an NAS but cheaper than I thought it would be.

Edited by Josh

• 2 weeks later...

This one is >$70....are we going to see the climb in price for each new Col E H release from here forward? I have not bought any of them due to the fact it seemed out of line for 100 proof to be $69.99 with the exception being the barrel strength bottle. Due to my love and fascination with rye, I'll be paying the tab for this new one very soon but not likely the previous ones.

Oh well, what do I know?....the label is steadily selling & the Trace makes a lot more money than I do...lol!

I've spent a few nights sippin' on this rye, and it's "OK". The most damning thing I can say about a rye, is what I say about this one, however. And that is, that there is simply nothing with it that gets my attention. No slap on the face, punch in the nose till it makes my eyes water type of thing. I like a rye that is a revelation. I want it to yell, "I am rye whiskey, hear me roar!!! The Taylor just seems to squeak, "Tiptoe, through my taste buds." I will say, though, that I haven't run it side-by-side with my other ryes. And, I have not really tried to get analytical with it as yet. To be fair, I'm needing to sit down with this whiskey again, and get all serious-like with it. I hope my opinion changes, and that I am missing something to this point. But, my first impressions are uninspired.

I have never had it but I'll bet Smokin'Joe summed it up best.

The bourbon distillers use a 51% rye mashbill when making rye whiskey as per minimum regulations.

I think it should be a 60% rye minimum, that's what George Washington used and if it was good enough for him, etc.

I'm sure we would be enjoying a better rye whiskey today if that percentage was used

Based on BT announcement, I'm betting it is Barton rye and it will be very good.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?14860-Barton-Tom-Moore&p=222625&viewfull=1#post222625

Well, I had my hopes up at least for a few moments. I wish BT would pull their head out and give us a Barton rye with some age at a decent proof. I'll be honest, since having my palette go to the dark side I haven't bought a bourbon in a long time, but I still reach for my Fleischmanns Rye occasionally and still amazed at the quality for the price.

I also agree with Chuck, the ryes without corn lack body. Tasted a couple of them, noticed it right away and moved on. Give us something better.

There was certainly plenty of it on the shelves today, although I'm sure someone will snatch it up.

Anyone try to make a rye with very high malted barley content? I'm curious, since you get such a great mouth feel on Scotch whisky. What about a 65/35 or 70/30 rye/malted barley whiskey? Might have a nice rye punch with a full-bodied mouth feel?

It sounds like the "1st AND ONLY" on the label may be referring to bottle buying patterns when people realize they just paid $70+ for an uninspiring rye.

Anyone try to make a rye with very high malted barley content? I'm curious, since you get such a great mouth feel on Scotch whisky. What about a 65/35 or 70/30 rye/malted barley whiskey? Might have a nice rye punch with a full-bodied mouth feel?

Copper Fox is 2/3 rye, 1/3 malted barley, I believe. They use a pot still, so you can't really compare it to other ryes, though.

I've spent a few nights sippin' on this rye, and it's "OK". The most damning thing I can say about a rye, is what I say about this one, however. And that is, that there is simply nothing with it that gets my attention. No slap on the face, punch in the nose till it makes my eyes water type of thing. I like a rye that is a revelation. I want it to yell, "I am rye whiskey, hear me roar!!! The Taylor just seems to squeak, "Tiptoe, through my taste buds." I will say, though, that I haven't run it side-by-side with my other ryes. And, I have not really tried to get analytical with it as yet. To be fair, I'm needing to sit down with this whiskey again, and get all serious-like with it. I hope my opinion changes, and that I am missing something to this point. But, my first impressions are uninspired.

Joe pretty much nailed it. Gorgeous copper color... wonderful spearmint on the entry.... spicy mid-palate... soft finish. Very drinkable but no wow factor.

Tried a side-by-side with Ritt BiB. The EHT is mintier; the Ritt more well-rounded and complex. This is to be expected given the difference in mash bills. A better match would be the EHT and WhistlePig or Jeff Rye.

At the cost of three bottles of Ritt, the choice is easy: go with any of a number of other ryes.

Joe pretty much nailed it. Gorgeous copper color... wonderful spearmint on the entry.... spicy mid-palate... soft finish. Very drinkable but no wow factor.

Tried a side-by-side with Ritt BiB. The EHT is mintier; the Ritt more well-rounded and complex. This is to be expected given the difference in mash bills. A better match would be the EHT and WhistlePig or Jeff Rye.

At the cost of three bottles of Ritt, the choice is easy: go with any of a number of other ryes.

"Very drinkable but no wow factor" can pretty much sum up the entire CEHT line-up.

Well put.

:fish2:

:fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2:

I think I would rather have this attribute most days than the wow factor, as there seem to be fewer bourbons with this as time go by. They are certainly out there, but availbility is always a issue.

B

Drinkable is good, but you can buy drinkable bourbon for $20-$30 if not less. So why pay $75? That's the main issue.

I think it's okay if we discuss pricing, and our opinions on it, as it relates to ourselves. Personally, I think the entire CEHT line is a waste of cash, but others are welcome to disagree and buy all they wish.

Hell, I've dropped $200 on 25yr Hirsch Rye, and I'll do it again. Many people here would call that crazy. I'm cool with that.

I don't feel that I should have to defend myself on my decision to drop this type of coin on a single bottle of my choice.

B

The answer is.....you don't have to defend your decisions to anyone. You've found something you like, are willing to buy it and are able to buy it. If someone else doesn't agree with you, who the hell cares?

Cheers!

Gary

I've bought all the other CEHT iterations so I figured, what the hell.I am curious to see how the mash bill of rye and malted barley stacks up to the plethora of ryes I currently have open.

My assessment of all ryes that contain no corn is that they are very flavorful but thin, whereas the more traditional 51% ryes have both flavor and body.

• 4 weeks later...

I read on the PLCB website today that this juice was distilled in 2003. At least now I have an idea of what age it is!

Thomas

I read on the PLCB website today that this juice was distilled in 2003. At least now I have an idea of what age it is!

Thomas

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.