Col. E.H. Taylor Straight Rye

StraightNoChaser
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Got a free pour of this last week. Loved it. Rye spice aplenty, reminded me of the High West 16 bottle I have at home.

While I'm glad for the awesome barman, I would definitely pay good money for it, and I see a bottle purchase in my future. I paid $50 for a 375 of HW16, so I think I can make some room for trying a 750 of this at $70.

I see it is now available around here. I wanted a bottle, but damn, 70 bucks? I am not in the poor house but I just cannot bring myself to pay that. My liver may go into shock.

Got a bottle of this today in Ohio. Some one at the local store is on top of things. Saved me a trip to Pa.

Thomas

...Why should I have to defend myself for this?

The issue of money of something to be discussed when a store is gouging the market, but not a issue that should be tossed to another member for mentioning that they will be going out and getting a bottle, or multiple of something.

B

I find it informative when member's post pricing information, as well as sharing their opinion on the value of higher priced whiskies. But, unquestionably, people don't have to defend what they're willing to pay: The forum is not a place for members to be judgmental or critical of one another.

• 3 weeks later...
I've spent a few nights sippin' on this rye, and it's "OK". The most damning thing I can say about a rye, is what I say about this one, however. And that is, that there is simply nothing with it that gets my attention. No slap on the face, punch in the nose till it makes my eyes water type of thing. I like a rye that is a revelation. I want it to yell, "I am rye whiskey, hear me roar!!! The Taylor just seems to squeak, "Tiptoe, through my taste buds." I will say, though, that I haven't run it side-by-side with my other ryes. And, I have not really tried to get analytical with it as yet. To be fair, I'm needing to sit down with this whiskey again, and get all serious-like with it. I hope my opinion changes, and that I am missing something to this point. But, my first impressions are uninspired.

Well, I've had some time to sit down with this rye and get all serious-like with it. And, I'll admit that there is more than I gave it credit for. Not, a lot more, but yes, more. It still doesn't bitch slap me with a huge spicy rye beat down. But, it ain't no bourbon, neither...There is a definite rye bread flavoring to it, which is really quite nice. Thick and bready. I tend to like whiskies that cause me to start physically chewing...this is one of those. So, after a bit of time, I'll conclude that this is a well done rye. Not a barn burner, but very solid. At $70 it's not a no-brainer certainly, but I'll go another. Maybe, two...

Hey Joe, you might like OO then. ;) I'm on my fourth taste (it's become a daily thing) and I'ma getting a chewy Bazooka-with-pepper that conjures memories of my bubble-gum chewing days.

. . . or maybe not:

"I neither like, nor dislike OO and Beam Rye. These ryes are so flat That they border on being comatose. I feel that any discovery effort put into comparing and contrasting them would be about as scintillating as doing the same with Aquafina and Dasani water."[smokinjoe]

Palate burn-out? Anyhoo, I'm lookin' to bunker some of this double-ought juice @ <$12/750. :skep:

Edited by MauiSon

Cracked another one of these open tonight, I think you stated it well. This is a solid rye. Happy to have a couple more on hand, and thinking that a little more on top of that couldn't hurt either.

B

Hey Joe, you might like OO then. ;) I'm on my fourth taste (it's become a daily thing) and I'ma getting a chewy Bazooka-with-pepper that conjures memories of my bubble-gum chewing days.

. . . or maybe not:

"I neither like, nor dislike OO and Beam Rye. These ryes are so flat That they border on being comatose. I feel that any discovery effort put into comparing and contrasting them would be about as scintillating as doing the same with Aquafina and Dasani water."[smokinjoe]

Palate burn-out? Anyhoo, I'm lookin' to bunker some of this double-ought juice @ <$12/750. :skep:

MS, it sounds like you've found a winner for yourself. That is always a good thing. Enjoy!

:toast:

EH Taylor rye is great. It's like drinking an old rye in a Wild West saloon. I'm going to try it next with a Manhattan

How does this stuff hold up against WP?

Will, I have an open bottle of the Taylor rye. You're welcome to sample some anytime. Personally, I like the Taylor over Baby Saz. A sbs with WP would be a fine idea.

Will, I have an open bottle of the Taylor rye. You're welcome to sample some anytime. Personally, I like the Taylor over Baby Saz. A sbs with WP would be a fine idea.

I will absolutley take you up on that!

Made a manhattan tonight with eh rye and orange bitters. Definitely a good cocktail but i think I'll stick with Ritt BiB going forward

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.