High West ryes

StraightNoChaser
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well, I'm sure if we just wait long enough, Mat will probably be by to shed what light he can on the questions at hand.

He is going to know as well as anybody.

B

The 21yr is about to have its last bottling. 16yr is gone forever, get it while you can.

The 21yr is something special. I've finished one bottle open over the last year and having recently tasted this again during a tasting that Mat hosted a couple of weeks ago, confirmed my beliefs that bunking a couple has been a wise move.

This was from a batch of 100 barrels if I remember correctly, and that is not much in the grand scale of product lines. Savor it while you can.

B

Supposedly a few cases of the 21yr will make it to Dallas in the next month or two... it's on my radar

About the email, David has said that both of the 16-year-olds came from Barton. If that is an LDI mash bill, did Barton get the whiskey from LDI somewhere along the way?

About the email, David has said that both of the 16-year-olds came from Barton. If that is an LDI mash bill, did Barton get the whiskey from LDI somewhere along the way?

Supposedly a few cases of the 21yr will make it to Dallas in the next month or two... it's on my radar

I too will echo the 21 is good stuff, I recommend picking up a bottle to try. SNC, have you ever had the 16? In my opinion, it is unique and better than the 21 - I recommend you hunting some down and giving that a taste also.

I too will echo the 21 is good stuff, I recommend picking up a bottle to try. SNC, have you ever had the 16? In my opinion, it is unique and better than the 21 - I recommend you hunting some down and giving that a taste also.

I am also a fan of the 16YO.... the best of the HW lineup IMO..

Yes, the 16yr olds in both the Double Rye! and Rendezvous are Barton-sourced. The 2yr in Double Rye! is LDI...I'll have to talk to my Texas rep to set him straight. :grin:

Feel free to reach out with any other questions.

how do you like the Bourye? I was quickly passing through a store today and it caught me eye. Has to run to get home in time.

Btw, Indiana stores were flush with HW products. All but one store I stopped in had plenty of selections. Hope it is selling well there. Crown Liquors store clerk raved about your products.

I love the Bourye...although it's gone the way of the Edsel. The Bourbon was 10 year-old Four Roses, and the Rye 6 year-old LDI. Long story short, we couldn't keep up with demand, and ran short of the Bourbon. We are out of it at the distillery, and there won't be any more. If you like it, I'd suggest you buy it when you see it.

We love the blend of Straight Bourbon and Straight Rye, and sought to continue the Bourye legacy. We've come up with something that philosophically fits...but it's a blend of 5 & 6 year-old Straight Bourbon and 3 year-old Rye. As it's decidedly a bolder, spicier expression, we chose to call it "Son of Bourye" to avoid any confusion.

IMHO, it's a much more compelling - and engaging - expression that the original.

I love the Bourye...although it's gone the way of the Edsel. The Bourbon was 10 year-old Four Roses, and the Rye 6 year-old LDI. Long story short, we couldn't keep up with demand, and ran short of the Bourbon. We are out of it at the distillery, and there won't be any more. If you like it, I'd suggest you buy it when you see it.

We love the blend of Straight Bourbon and Straight Rye, and sought to continue the Bourye legacy. We've come up with something that philosophically fits...but it's a blend of 5 & 6 year-old Straight Bourbon and 3 year-old Rye. As it's decidedly a bolder, spicier expression, we chose to call it "Son of Bourye" to avoid any confusion.

IMHO, it's a much more compelling - and engaging - expression that the original.

Thanks Mat. I should have asked when I was not two hours away, because now I want some. I will probably be back next week and will have to give it a shot if I make there. Appreciate the info.

Yes, the 16yr olds in both the Double Rye! and Rendezvous are Barton-sourced. The 2yr in Double Rye! is LDI...I'll have to talk to my Texas rep to set him straight. :grin:

I got a very informative email from Kieran after you talked to him! Glad we have the record straight :grin:

David is a first class guy who IMO represents the next generation of whiskey men who just want to produce great product in any fashion they can. While respecting tradition David does not let it fence him in. He also recognizes that there is no sin in using whiskey made by others if the outcome is a great product in the bottle.

post-1354-14489817850251_thumb.jpg

how do you like the Bourye? I was quickly passing through a store today and it caught me eye. Has to run to get home in time.

I have only had the opportunity to briefly taste the Bouryes. I sampled the Bourye at WhiskyFest 2011 and it really kind of shocked me in the midst of so much scotch, bourbon and rye. It was as if the rye whiskey component and the bourbon whiskey component separated in my mouth so that I could taste them at the same time but each on their own. It was a weird experience, and at the time I felt that the Bourye was more an abstract work of art than a whiskey. I stayed away because I decided that if I was going to have a drink, I'd rather choose one or the other than experience the discombobulating effect of drinking two whiskies at the same time.

I tried the Son of Bourye this past WhiskyFest. It was much more well integrated; no dissociative effects for me this time. It actually made me miss the powerfully odd experience of drinking the Bourye, and inspired me to track some of the original down before it's all gone. And now I want to find a few more bottles of it too! I'll pass on the SoB, for now anyway.

My wife is heading to Indy tonight so I sent her on a mission to hunt out some Bourye. Trust me that just getting her to agree to look for me was no easy feat. In the bourbon and rye whiskey aspect, she is not very supportive. Had to use some mad influencing skills!!!!

My wife is heading to Indy tonight so I sent her on a mission to hunt out some Bourye. Trust me that just getting her to agree to look for me was no easy feat. In the bourbon and rye whiskey aspect, she is not very supportive. Had to use some mad influencing skills!!!!

Ok, Give it up, what are your secrets in this! I get more and more eye rolling as the days go by. Even now as I type she is giving me the look.

B

Ok, Give it up, what are your secrets in this! I get more and more eye rolling as the days go by. Even now as I type she is giving me the look.

B

I have plenty, and I mean plenty of eye rolling in the house. I could feel it when I was on the phone. She had committed to bring some Fat Tire beer back for a friend so I said "oh sure bring beer back for your boyfriend but not any whiskey for your husband." I am not above guilting her into these days! :)

• I like it 1

If you're in the market for some, I CAN tell you that most of the major retailers in the NY/NJ market still have some Bourye. Just spent a week and a half in the area, and even our distributor has some.

Just an FYI.

If you're in the market for some, I CAN tell you that most of the major retailers in the NY/NJ market still have some Bourye. Just spent a week and a half in the area, and even our distributor has some.

Just an FYI.

Thanks for info. I did see it last week in Indy so I wanted to avoid the $20 shipping charges. Although I have found a couple of other things that will help dilute some of the shipping if she doesn't find it.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the double rye a couple months ago, got around to opening it tonight. Very nice. A bargain at $32. I have ordered and will pick up in the next couple of weeks, the 16yr rye and the bourye. I will definitely open both of them sooner then later

Glad you liked our Double Rye! Also happy to know you've been able to secure bottles of the 16yr and Bourye...both are long gone from our warehouse and (sadly) their won't be more.

I'm a relative newby to rye, Mat, so I'm really intrigued by your various selections. And being a lover of FR's, the Bourye with 10yr old FR's really interests me. Can you tell which mashbill was used in this blend?

Also, I was on the TPS website yesterday and saw they now have your products. Happy days!!

Sure...the mashbill on the Bourbon was/is 70% Corn, 20% Rye and 5% Barley. Sadly, our Bourye has gone the way of the Edsel...no more to be had. If you see it, buy it. I do. :grin:

We're very excited about finally being in Kentucky. What was really exciting to me was the fact that this initial shipment was the single-largest shipment in the history of our company for a new distributor!

Our first shipment hit the market last month...and you'll now find us in most of the 'usual suspects'. David is going to do an in-store event at the Liquor Barns in Louisville & Lexington next month, and is working out details with Jay at TPS for a visit.

Sure...the mashbill on the Bourbon was/is 70% Corn, 20% Rye and 5% Barley. Sadly, our Bourye has gone the way of the Edsel...no more to be had. If you see it, buy it. I do. :grin:

We're very excited about finally being in Kentucky. What was really exciting to me was the fact that this initial shipment was the single-largest shipment in the history of our company for a new distributor!

Our first shipment hit the market last month...and you'll now find us in most of the 'usual suspects'. David is going to do an in-store event at the Liquor Barns in Louisville & Lexington next month, and is working out details with Jay at TPS for a visit.

When you find out dates for TPS event post it here. Would live to get signed up early. They do tend to fill up fast at TPS. Good news they are in NKY. I was just at TPS on Thursday. I must have missed them.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to another member, I added these babies to the bunker before they're all gone.

300tz4n.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.