High West ryes

StraightNoChaser
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Thanks to another member, I added these babies to the bunker before they're all gone.

300tz4n.jpg

Very nice find.... I think the 16YO is the best of the lineup....

Not just the best of the HW lineup, one of the best ryes on the market, period.

Seeing CaptainQ's pic of the 16s reminded me of how much I liked it when I had it so I went on a hunt. I got two bottles coming in this week.

When you find out dates for TPS event post it here. Would live to get signed up early. They do tend to fill up fast at TPS. Good news they are in NKY. I was just at TPS on Thursday. I must have missed them.

Just worked out the details with Jay at TPS. We'll be there on September 7th.

Unfortunately not. Kieran Walsh, our regional sales rep, will be in town for that event. I am planning on making a quick trip over to Madison within the next 45 days.

Matt, great news. I am looking forward to it.

Got a 16 year Rocky Mountain Rye today. I had a bit of a hard time with the Rendezvous, but my goodness, this is incredibly, incredibly tasty. I say incredible because I don't know how an aged rye metamorphosed into an entire French fruit pastry shop. It also has some cinnamon and dill, which may not sound like a good pairing, but is indeed. It's a phenomenally satisfying drink.

Got a 16 year Rocky Mountain Rye today. I had a bit of a hard time with the Rendezvous, but my goodness, this is incredibly, incredibly tasty. I say incredible because I don't know how an aged rye metamorphosed into an entire French fruit pastry shop. It also has some cinnamon and dill, which may not sound like a good pairing, but is indeed. It's a phenomenally satisfying drink.

I recently picked a bottle up as well, but now I think I need to pick up another one (or three). I've yet to hear a bad thing about HW16.

After one day, it took a sharp, sharp turn to the Rendezvous Rye profile, which is sensible because it's in the Rendezvous. Gone are the blueberry/custard notes that AaronWF described so well in his review, and in comes the dill and fennel. Still quite enjoyable, and if you like the Rendezvous, it likely would be fun to try the older part of it without the LDI mixed in.

Flying to Denver tomorrow. When I take a break from hiking the Rockies, I'm gonna find me some High West!! :cool:

I recently picked a bottle up as well, but now I think I need to pick up another one (or three). I've yet to hear a bad thing about HW16.

It's worth trying for yourself before springing for more bottles based off of other people's opinions. At ~$50/375 ml it's not exactly the best deal in the whiskey world

It's worth trying for yourself before springing for more bottles based off of other people's opinions. At ~$50/375 ml it's not exactly the best deal in the whiskey world

Fortunately the store I bought my 750 ml bottle of HW 16 had it priced just over $50 so my comment about getting more was influenced by the price as much as the quality! I'll get around to opening my current bottle eventually, but I have far too many bottles open at the moment. I usually refrain from purchasing multiple bottles of something without trying it, but a combination of good reviews by people I know with similar palates and the fact that High West generally puts out quality whiskey might just be enough to get me to shell out a few bucks for another bottle or two.

Despite your amusing, paternal "advice", a good point could be made about its price. The profile when I first opened it was astounding, all berries and custard. Just so bright and different from any bourbon or scotch I've had. Now it's a lot more like the Rendezvous, making it less of a standout.

Fortunately the store I bought my 750 ml bottle of HW 16 had it priced just over $50 so my comment about getting more was influenced by the price as much as the quality! I'll get around to opening my current bottle eventually, but I have far too many bottles open at the moment. I usually refrain from purchasing multiple bottles of something without trying it, but a combination of good reviews by people I know with similar palates and the fact that High West generally puts out quality whiskey might just be enough to get me to shell out a few bucks for another bottle or two.

That's a great price. I don't think I ever saw the 750 go for less than in the $80 range. It's not my favorite rye, but I'd definitely take it at that price!

And I agree, it definitely helps to know who in this community has a palate that you trust!

Despite your amusing, paternal "advice", a good point could be made about its price. The profile when I first opened it was astounding, all berries and custard. Just so bright and different from any bourbon or scotch I've had. Now it's a lot more like the Rendezvous, making it less of a standout.

Not sure what is amusing about it. I wasn't trying to come off as condescending. Just making a point... a valid one, I think. You purchase multiple bottles of expensive whiskey without ever tasting it for yourself? I guess we each have our own way of doing things.

Not sure what is amusing about it. I wasn't trying to come off as condescending. Just making a point... a valid one, I think. You purchase multiple bottles of expensive whiskey without ever tasting it for yourself? I guess we each have our own way of doing things.

Putting someone else's words in my mouth - very weird.

Ryan, I think you make a reasonable point as it may not be good versus bad but rather a) personal palate preference and / or B) batch differences. Granted the HW 16 will exhibit a similiar profile but each batch can be quite different with each showing different nuances that each of us may find more or less to our liking...

Since it is not to be seen again, I picked up a Bourye last week out of curiosity. The Rendezvous I just finished got better with air and I expect this one will do same. The first pour was just flat and uninspiring in terms of the rye. I could detect the 4R (OBSV I think) and that made it more inviting for future sampling. The 2d & 3d pours were a lot better with the rye beginning to open up nicely to pair with the 4R.

The concept is a little strange to me, being a longtime bourbon lover and only 'discovering' rye in the last 2-3 years. However, I am up to giving anything a shot once. Jury still out whether I spend $60 on another though.

Since it is not to be seen again, I picked up a Bourye last week out of curiosity. The Rendezvous I just finished got better with air and I expect this one will do same. The first pour was just flat and uninspiring in terms of the rye. I could detect the 4R (OBSV I think) and that made it more inviting for future sampling. The 2d & 3d pours were a lot better with the rye beginning to open up nicely to pair with the 4R.

The concept is a little strange to me, being a longtime bourbon lover and only 'discovering' rye in the last 2-3 years. However, I am up to giving anything a shot once. Jury still out whether I spend $60 on another though.

Bourye has a 20% rye 4R whiskey, so it's one of the OEs, not an OB.

http://www.highwest.com/spirits/bourye/

This one is proving to be a chameleon for me. The first couple of pours reminded me of Ritt BIB in that it seemed like a rye-heavy bourbon. A couple of weeks later, I'm picking up a lot more of the LDI rye. It's very good, but I don't know what to expect each time I reach for the bottle!

• 1 month later...

Local shop just got the HW21 rye Batch #10... for $135. A bit out of my price range, even with all the glowing reviews...

Local shop just got the HW21 rye Batch #10... for $135. A bit out of my price range, even with all the glowing reviews...

I honestly think it's worth every penny. Fascinating stuff, mainly due to it being aged in used cooperage.

I don't care so much about numbers and sources but I very much like High West products! When I drink and smoke I want to FORGET about numbers!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.