Boulevardier - sort of ...

sutton
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

There was an earlier thread (closed down) on this cocktail that used bourbon. I substituted with rye and made a few other modifications:

3 cl WT 101 Rye

2 cl Campari

2 cl Cinzano sweet vermouth

1 dash Fee Brothers orange bitters

- fill cocktail shaker 1/3 full with ice

- add spirits and bitters

- stir for 30 seconds

- strain into chilled cocktail glass with marachino cherry & orange twist

Nice while grillin' on the back porch - next time I might drop the vermouth just a bit.

Bartender Pete at Bottle Cap restaurant in San Francisco has a house-made barrel of these right now, but his recipe is 2:1:1 bourbon:campari:carpano antica. I like this mix because campari always seems way too overpowering to me, but I know others don't agree.

Bartender Pete at Bottle Cap restaurant in San Francisco has a house-made barrel of these right now, but his recipe is 2:1:1 bourbon:campari:carpano antica. I like this mix because campari always seems way too overpowering to me, but I know others don't agree.

Do you know what proof he used for the bourbon? I agree with you, the first time I made this with an 86 pf bourbon, the campari and vermouth seemed to overwhelm it - that was why I tried a 101 pf rye ... maybe I'll try your proportions with a higher proof bourbon.

The other reason I added the bitters was that the vermouth seemed to make it a bit sweet to my taste. I've never had carpano antica - is this red vermouth less sweet than the higher volume brands?

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, he's using Wild Turkey 80 proof. I know in my heart it would be better with WT101 or 101 rye but I think WT gave him the bottles for free to advertise it.

IMHO, forget the Campari and substitute with Gran Classico from Tempus Fugit. The results are so much better it's worth the search.

IMHO, forget the Campari and substitute with Gran Classico from Tempus Fugit. The results are so much better it's worth the search.

I made my first Boulevardier last night, and I'm hooked:

1.5 oz Four Roses Single Barrel

1 oz Campari

1 oz Carpano Antica

Stirred long and well. Good dilution seems to be as important as a well chilled glass. I went with a long lemon twist for garnish.

This might be my new go-to summer cocktail. I need a break from Sazeracs.

I made my first Boulevardier last night, and I'm hooked:

1.5 oz Four Roses Single Barrel

1 oz Campari

1 oz Carpano Antica

Stirred long and well. Good dilution seems to be as important as a well chilled glass. I went with a long lemon twist for garnish.

This might be my new go-to summer cocktail. I need a break from Sazeracs.

What was the proof on the single barrel, if you don't mind me asking? I'm finding that 101+ seems to really make this cocktail ... along with either a dash of orange bitters or as you have done, with the lemon twist. I've also had this over a couple of ice cubes and it seemed to hold up well.

The FR1B is 100 proof.

I think you're right, though. I mixed and tasted about 6 of these over the weekend. I varied the bourbon on three of them: EC12 (94), Knob Creek Single Barrel (120), and Bulleit (90). I didn't do side-by-side tastings, but the Four Roses and Knob Creek did a better job of cutting the bitterness. I would still give the nod to the FR1B as my favorite.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.