Black Maple Hill 23

jtexaslonestar
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I am pretty new to the rye world. I have had the High West ryes and loved them! I just bought a bottle of Willett 4yr rye and it was excellent. I am now considering buying a bottle of BMH 23yr rye, and after searching all the "closed" threads (without too much insight), I want to hear the notes from some SB members:bowdown: who have this expression. So what say ye?

I went ahead and bought it anyways. It seems to have been there a long while and i know my house is as good as any for it to reside:grin: . The bottle says 05 at the bottom edge. This bottle says it is from cask 9. I saw another bottle online thru a search that indicated it was from cask 9 as well. Not much info on this rye thru my search efforts besides a few reviews and a comparison. Now that the purchase is complete, i will be posting to the "what rye are you enjoying..." thread later:cool:

Personally, I really like the BMH23. It comes from the same stocks that all the other extra aged ryes came from (probably Bernheim IMO). It has a good bit of wood influence on it but in a good way. There is a strong mustiness to it that I have come to really appreciate. It is thick, dark, and really full of flavor. You can't go wrong with it in my opinion.

The only thing better is the couple of barrel proof 23 year ryes from the same stock that are floating around out there somewhere.

Personally, I really like the BMH23. It comes from the same stocks that all the other extra aged ryes came from (probably Bernheim IMO). It has a good bit of wood influence on it but in a good way. There is a strong mustiness to it that I have come to really appreciate. It is thick, dark, and really full of flavor. You can't go wrong with it in my opinion.

The only thing better is the couple of barrel proof 23 year ryes from the same stock that are floating around out there somewhere.

Great....there are cask strength versions???:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: That would be great to meet up with one of those. :cool: Thanks for the notes!

There were a few barrels of this rye that were bottled at cask strength between 22-24 years but they weren't sold under the BMH label. There was Willett, the Bitter Truth, LaNell's and Rathskeller. There may have been others. Those are the ones I have heard of.

Wow, did not know that. I have enjoyed the Willett 4 yr CS rye. I am sure the chances are slim to run across one of those 22-24yr ryes here, but there is always a chance as confirmed by the BMH23 I came upon. Thanks!:toast:

Wow, did not know that. I have enjoyed the Willett 4 yr CS rye. I am sure the chances are slim to run across one of those 22-24yr ryes here, but there is always a chance as confirmed by the BMH23 I came upon. Thanks!:toast:

Just curious, and not trying to thread hi-jack, but how would you compare Willett 4yr Rye to the following:

Rittenhouse Rye BIB 100

Thomas H Handy Sazerac

Wild Turkey 101 Rye

The Spec's where I am at has a ton of Willett 4yr Rye. I have been tempted but the young age statement keeps me from investing in it.

Just curious, and not trying to thread hi-jack, but how would you compare Willett 4yr Rye to the following:

Rittenhouse Rye BIB 100

Thomas H Handy Sazerac

Wild Turkey 101 Rye

The Spec's where I am at has a ton of Willett 4yr Rye. I have been tempted but the young age statement keeps me from investing in it.

I don't really think they compare at all. The Willett is the LDI 95% rye while the others are probably more in the 51%-60% range. I think the corn adds complexity and depth not found in the LDI rye. The LDI is interesting, but I prefer it as a mixer while I think the 3 you mentioned are pretty good on their own.

Rittenhouse Rye BIB 100

Thomas H Handy Sazerac

Wild Turkey 101 Rye

Dude, buy the Willett Rye. It's cask strength, and it's not like RittBIB and WT101 are any older than 4yrs. And Handy's only 6.5 and at least twice the price. And BradleyC's right about mixing with Willett. It makes one of the best Manhattans I've ever had.

Dude, buy the Willett Rye. It's cask strength, and it's not like RittBIB and WT101 are any older than 4yrs. And Handy's only 6.5 and at least twice the price. And BradleyC's right about mixing with Willett. It makes one of the best Manhattans I've ever had.

Thanks both of you. I will acquire a bottle. The Willet 7yr bourbon wasnt all that great so I was highly skeptical. If anything it's another rye to add to the repetoire.

On a side note, I think it's incredible that there is only one Wheat whiskey on the market (that I know of) considering it's overwhelming popularity.

On a side note, I think it's incredible that there is only one Wheat whiskey on the market (that I know of) considering it's overwhelming popularity.

Are you talking about Wathens? It's a Wheat Wiskey and it's not particularly popular at all. Some micros may be making wheat whiskies also. There are more than a few wheated Bourbons available however.

Are you talking about Wathens? It's a Wheat Wiskey and it's not particularly popular at all. Some micros may be making wheat whiskies also. There are more than a few wheated Bourbons available however.

No, I was talking about Bernheim Original Wheat. I have never seen Wathens. Based on what you stated it doesnt sound like it's very good O_O.

I have seen Wathen's SB Bourbon. Do they have another product out? If so I have not seen this either.

My bad - I meant Bernheim. That will teach me to post before coffee in the morning.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.