What cocktail are you enjoying Spring/Summer 2012?

sob0728
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've thrown a Vieux Carre in the rotation from time to time. 1 part each rye, cognac, and sweet vermouth, dash each peychauds and angostura, half part Benedictine; shake and strain into a cocktail glass and garnish with a lemon twist. Nice drink with a lot going on.

Which rye? What's the mixing congnac you're using? :)

Which rye? What's the mixing congnac you're using? :)

Rittenhouse is my standard keep-around rye, but i'm going to start experimenting; I've been using Raynal VSOP- it's a decent quality low end mixing cognac. Vermouth is Dolin, and I've used Antica to good results as well.

Barrelled aged Manhattan's seem to be my cocktail of choice ... at least at this moment!! Always good, the barrel adds a nice softness and complexity and best of all they are already made!!!

Barrelled aged Manhattan's seem to be my cocktail of choice ... at least at this moment!! Always good, the barrel adds a nice softness and complexity and best of all they are already made!!!

I've thrown a Vieux Carre in the rotation from time to time. 1 part each rye, cognac, and sweet vermouth, dash each peychauds and angostura, half part Benedictine; shake and strain into a cocktail glass and garnish with a lemon twist. Nice drink with a lot going on.

That's a stout margarita! I prefer the same amount of limes to tequila. For 3 oz I would do 2.5-3 limes, juiced. Not persian limes, but mexican key limes, which are smaller, thinner skinned, and taste totally different.

I get them at my local Mercado.

It is stout but, man is it good. I had a buddy say the same thing. I told him "Hey you know me I'm f-ed up". Most people don't enjoy the taste of alcohol and add things like daquiri and margarita mix to mask or hide the taste of the alcohol. Where as I enjoy the taste and look for things to compliment the flavor of the alcohol not to hide it.

BTW I have implemented a 3 drink cap on these. Not many good things happen after 10oz of Tequila, trust me on that. :-)

I hear you on the limes. They make all the difference. Whenever I go to FL or down south the limes there are so much better I wish we could get the good stuff up here but, it is all the cheap imports and greenhouse variety. But, I know what you are talking about and those set the drink on another level.

hehe, 10 oz of Tequila is a good cap. I had those two margaritas last night and had a hard time getting moving this morning..... I'm a Tequila Light weight...:lol:

Last evening before dinner, I had a Bourbon Rickey. Just bourbon, fresh squeezed lime (with the lime slice dropped into the glass after squeezing), club soda, and ice cubes. Very refreshing on a hot afternoon.

Tim

Last evening before dinner, I had a Bourbon Rickey. Just bourbon, fresh squeezed lime (with the lime slice dropped into the glass after squeezing), club soda, and ice cubes. Very refreshing on a hot afternoon.

Tim

Now that sounds like a great drink on a hot, humid afternoon...

I wasn't sure exactly where to put this question, so I will put it here. Does vermouth (sweet or dry) go bad if refrigerated and if so, about how long will a bottle last before this happens?

I wasn't sure exactly where to put this question, so I will put it here. Does vermouth (sweet or dry) go bad if refrigerated and if so, about how long will a bottle last before this happens?

I picked up on the "Southside Punch" at a bar in SF. It's kind of like a mojito made with gin.

3oz gin

1oz simple syrup

3/4 oz lemon juice

Shake with ice and some mint leaves

Pour into a highball glass with the ice, top with club soda and garnish with a mint sprig.

Hard to beat a few Bourbon / Rye and gingers especially if you have Blenheim red cap on hand

Hard to beat a few Bourbon / Rye and gingers especially if you have Blenheim red cap on hand

Exactly what I'm having. The Blenheim red cap makes it. Perfect on a hot day. I add a lime wedge and a few dashes of orange bitters.

Exactly what I'm having. The Blenheim red cap makes it. Perfect on a hot day. I add a lime wedge and a few dashes of orange bitters.

Dave, that Blenheim does make for a good mixer. If you like it's heat, give Red Rock a try. It's another one that will smack you around. :D

Sittin' out back this afternoon in the hot sun, and threw together a Patron Blanco with Sanpellegrino Aranciata Rossa Sparkling Blood Orange (3:1), over crushed ice, with a slice of orange, and some muddled mint. My first one was without the mint. The mint addition made the second one spectacular.

Dave, that Blenheim does make for a good mixer. If you like it's heat, give Red Rock a try. It's another one that will smack you around. :D

Sittin' out back this afternoon in the hot sun, and threw together a Patron Blanco with Sanpellegrino Aranciata Rossa Sparkling Blood Orange (3:1), over crushed ice, with a slice of orange, and some muddled mint. My first one was without the mint. The mint addition made the second one spectacular.

I'll keep an eye out for the Red Rock. I definitely like a spicy ginger ale, and I've been mixing with the super spicy Jefferson's rye. By the way, that tequila cocktail sounds fantastic! Definitely trying that.

For me: Whiskey Sour. I started to try around, and now all my friends can't get enuff of it. They chose it for their EURO 2012 Drink. I mix it with 4.5 oz bourbon, 1.5 sugar, 3.5 lemon, shake it with 3 ice cubes.

Does anyone know the classic recipe for a Mint Julep?

Thanks

Stiff

I'll keep an eye out for the Red Rock. I definitely like a spicy ginger ale, and I've been mixing with the super spicy Jefferson's rye. By the way, that tequila cocktail sounds fantastic! Definitely trying that.

Cloudless, hot day. Absolutely, nothing that needs my attention (except, maybe the grass needs cut, but that can wait). Enjoying the feeling with a Corsair Gin and White Rock Tonic. Crushed ice. Wedge of lime. Nice.

Wife: Tanqueray & Tonic

Son-in-law: Newcastle Brown Ale

Daughter (with child): Lemonade

Me: AAA 10 Star on the rocks

Marlene made some Lime & White Chocolate Cookies, they go very well with bourbon & branch.

Whiskey sours with some cheap sweet n sour mix I found in the liquor cabinet....hopefully more planning and real lemon juice next time.

Just finished Bernie Lubbers' book. Made Ms. Annis' Bourbon Sours for the family. Got mixed reviews. My only complaint ... the funny color that resulted from mixing the bourbon, OJ and frozen lemonaid.

a JRPS 17yr Mint Julep on this sunny Memorial Day . . . don't know if it's sacreligel, but it's the best damn julep I've ever had.

Correction: the 2009 WLW Julep I just made is the best damn julep ever - listening to Led Zeppelin IV on vinyl while sweeping my outdoors patio . . . holiday indeed!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!