What cocktail are you enjoying Spring/Summer 2012?

sob0728
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I haven't been refrigerating my vermouth, but I do try to keep it in a cool, dark place. Right now it's in the cabinet bar in the living room, and as summer heats up, it'll go downstairs to a wine box in the basement where it can stay cool.

If it changes away from the original flavor, I'll replace the bottle.

Vieux Carre tonight. Will probably have a Whiskey Sour as well. Don't like using a lemon for just a garnish...

I made an off-the-cuff cocktail last night that turned out pretty well. I invented it myself, although I know I am probably not the first person to have ever done so.

I had the Negroni cocktail in mind, but I do not have the ingredients to make that. So, I took a shot of Tanqueray gin, several dashes of Angostura bitters, and a healthy splash of sweet vermouth. Then I filled the glass with ice cubes and topped it off with club soda.

It was somewhat sweeter than I expected, but overall quite good.

Tim

I made an off-the-cuff cocktail last night that turned out pretty well. I invented it myself, although I know I am probably not the first person to have ever done so.

I had the Negroni cocktail in mind, but I do not have the ingredients to make that. So, I took a shot of Tanqueray gin, several dashes of Angostura bitters, and a healthy splash of sweet vermouth. Then I filled the glass with ice cubes and topped it off with club soda.

It was somewhat sweeter than I expected, but overall quite good.

Tim

That sounds like a smart substitute. I would recommend anyone to keep a bottle Campari around. It's not for everyone, but I think most people that like a straight bourbon would enjoy the bitterness of a Negroni or Boulevardier.

Enjoyed my first Kentucky Mule, in the proper copper mule mug. Delicious! Used about 1 3/4 shots of WTRB. I see why it's called a mule, it kicked my ass!

That sounds like a smart substitute. I would recommend anyone to keep a bottle Campari around. It's not for everyone, but I think most people that like a straight bourbon would enjoy the bitterness of a Negroni or Boulevardier.

Thank you, Trey. Of course, Campari is one of the many things I cannot get in my ABC state of Alabama.

Tim

Hello all,

1. Mint julep. Prepared with simple syrup. Refreshing!

2. Bourbon&Ginger Ale on ice cubes. Relaxing :)

Regards,

About a week ago we had a really hot day. I came outside to join the wife and kids who were gardening, and I was carrying a glass of brown liquid with two ice cubes. (Please note that I drink 99% of my whiskey neat, but it was a very hot day.)

Wife: Whatcha got there?

Me: I invented a new drink. The Kentucky Spritzer.

Wife: Fun. What is it?

Me: Bourbon on the rocks!

Wife: So no actual spritz? You idiot.

Wife: Whatcha got there?

Me: I invented a new drink. The Kentucky Spritzer.

Wife: Fun. What is it?

Me: Bourbon on the rocks!

Wife: So no actual spritz? You idiot.

I had a bourbon with club soda a couple of nights ago. It was pretty nice.

Related question: I always thought club soda was just a more modern version of seltzer water. But now, I am seeing both in the stores. What, if anything, is the difference?

Tim

Related question: I always thought club soda was just a more modern version of seltzer water. But now, I am seeing both in the stores. What, if anything, is the difference?

Tim

Seltzer is sparkling water. Club soda is carbonated water and includes sodium bicarbonate.

Seltzer is sparkling water. Club soda is carbonated water and includes sodium bicarbonate.

As far as I know, "sparkling water" is just carbonated water. Am I wrong?

Tim

I had a bourbon with club soda a couple of nights ago. It was pretty nice.

Tim

I really like OGD and soda.

As far as I know, "sparkling water" is just carbonated water. Am I wrong?

Tim

I think the difference is that sparkling water has naturally occurring carbonation and soda water has the carbonation added.

In regard to soda vs. seltzer: club soda has more sodium than seltzer as well as biocarbonate of soda, which Doug mentioned.

Duh! I just looked at the bottle, which labels its ingredients. Why didn't I think about that before? Anyway, it is labeled as "sodium free" and my particular bottle contains carbonated water and potassium bicarbonate. I guess it is to make it taste like mineral water.

I prefer Perrier, which is naturally carbonated mineral water but, man, is it expensive! I used to buy a U.S. sourced brand called Quibel, but I can no longer find it. That was 15 years or so ago.

Thanks for the help.

Tim

Another old fashioned tonight...I don't know why these have been tasting so good lately (it is helping me drink my living bottle though, which doesn't taste especially good on its own).

Gin and tonic that I made into sorbet. It worked OK. Tastes good but you have to go light on the gin or it won't freeze.

Great manhattan last night. Rittenhouse with Dolin, and used some Fee brothers black walnut bitters. Really added new depth and flavor.

Great manhattan last night. Rittenhouse with Dolin, and used some Fee brothers black walnut bitters. Really added new depth and flavor.

Ritt & Dolin were made for each other. I picked up some Miracle Mile 'Forbidden' bitters -- loving them. Also picked up some Fee Brothers Barrel Aged bitters, but haven't cracked into them yet. Will keep an eye out for the Black Walnut bitters.

Yeah, the barrel aged bitters are fantastic. The black walnut is good, but doesnt always work, depending on the whiskey. What's the story on the Forbidden bitters?

Yeah, the barrel aged bitters are fantastic. The black walnut is good, but doesnt always work, depending on the whiskey. What's the story on the Forbidden bitters?

To be honest, I don't know much about them. Only picked them up on a recommendation from someone here in Chat one night. They are terrific and they seem to be doing some interesting things on the whole. http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1072882

I got my first bottle of straight rye whiskey a few days ago, the Bulleit. Yesterday afternoon, I made a Sazerac cocktail with it. It was excellent, without the in-your-face bourbon flavor, but much more flavorful than, say, Seagram's 7.

Tim

A simple mint julep while tending the grill tonight. Icy cold goodness on a warm humid day. Just some gold label HH 8yr. Nothing fancy, but works well.

B

Loving this Corsair Gin & Seagrams Tonic while listening to Braves and Nats on the radio on this 105 degree day. The Corsair makes for a nice change-up to the normal junipery Gins I'm used to. More vegetal. I went with a slice of lemon instead of lime. Sour it up a bit, and it works. BTW, today may be one of the few days in his career that Stephen Strasburg's best fastball of the day is not higher than the temp...:D

Rush St. Manhattan from Gibson's Steakhouse

3:1:1 (just like TSA--what you can carry on a plane)

Bourbon (they use WR; I used WRDO):Sweet Vermouth (I used Noilly Prat):Heering Cherry Liquer and some orange bitters

their version

6a156575.jpg

my version and ingredients

IMAG0524-1.jpgIMAG0530.jpg

Edited by bigtoys

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!