What cocktail are you enjoying Spring/Summer 2012?

sob0728
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Thanks, Gary. I even went further in that vein on my second. I lightened up the Vermouth by about 1/3. And, went with OGD 114 for the bourbon. Worked very well, and was noticeably different from the first. OGD has such an interesting house style that really contributes to a unique cocktail. I'll say this, I enjoyed these dry Manhattans more than the sweet versions that I have made. After trying several brands, and several years of tinkering with cocktails made with it, I have concluded that I am just not a sweet vermouth fan. Something about it doesn't hit me right. I am looking forward to 'sperimentin' with the dry.

• 1 month later...

I've been making Vespers lately. Partly as an homage to Bond, but also because I'm flush with some interesting gins. Favorite recipe is 1.5 oz Martin Miller's Westbourne, 0.75 oz vodka, 0.5 oz Cocci Americano, shaken, garnish with flamed orange peel and 3 drops of Angostura bitters.

Also, I was gifted a set of Bittercube bitters, and have been enjoying combining these with some old classics.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it ain't Spring/Summer 2012, but it ain't Winter yet either, so I guess I'll post here. Had a few great Manhattans last night with Cocchi Vermouth di Torino and Boker's Bitters. Played around with the whiskey. Had one with a 4 year Willett SB rye (110 pf), one with Larceny, and one with the GBS EC 15 year. All were excellent. I had never had the Boker's before, and they are a nice alternative to Angostura.

Tonight is a Handy Sazerac. The barrel proof kick is great and makes me question why I don't use it for every Sazerac. Then I come back down to Earth and enjoy this as the rare treat that it is.

• 3 weeks later...

Y'all, I just gotta change things up, from all this whiskey, other dark spirits, and heavy beers I've been working on the last several weeks. So, I felt like a Gin & Tonic. Hendrick's for the gin. Aaaaahhhhhh.....Refreshing!!!

OK, now that's over, I'm gonna dig in the bunker for somethin' whiskyish that I ain't had in awhile.

Confession is good for the soul Joe, now go and sin no more.

Thank you, Father. :pope:

But, I gotta admit....it was good!! :70358-devil:

:toast:

A winter cocktail I came across on another website which I tried and found to be delicious. Perfect for winter as the name suggests!

Winter Waltz

2 oz rye (I used Bulleit for a little rye kick. May try one of the Willet overproof LDI/MGP/XYZ ryes for a little more "oomph" )

1/2 oz Averna

1/4 oz St Elizabeth allspice dram

2 dashes Angostura bitters

Stirred with ice and served up.

Star anise garnish.

Bought some Carpano Antica vermouth today, which only remained unopened for an hour before being incoporporated into a manhattan with some Rittenhouse. Went down easy.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!