My wife wanted to taste all my Bourbons to determine which one to use in Mint Julep.

alexandergjones
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

QvHLdl.jpg

MY Wife loves Juleps lately which is great for me because then I can buy more bourbon and she wont be mad!! To my surprise she asked me to do a little tasting so we could determine which one would work best for the drink. Before she could even finish her sentence I had six glasses and six bottles set out. SO I took the opportunity to educate her a little more about what bourbon is and then we got to tasting. We ended choosing the OWA 107 because it was a nice sweet wheated bourbon and the higher proof would stand up to all the ice in a julep. Although she did like the EWSB '01 but I wanted to save that for sippin neat.

I would have gone EWSB first, with OWA second. FC and Bulleit are too spicy to go well with the mint, and do much better by themselves.

hey i used to live in Warsaw. If you live near ther you should go to a restaurant called Cerulean in Winona Lake amazing food and really great cocktails and bourbon.

MY Wife loves Juleps lately which is great for me because then I can buy more bourbon and she wont be mad!! To my surprise she asked me to do a little tasting so we could determine which one would work best for the drink. Before she could even finish her sentence I had six glasses and six bottles set out. SO I took the opportunity to educate her a little more about what bourbon is and then we got to tasting. We ended choosing the OWA 107 because it was a nice sweet wheated bourbon and the higher proof would stand up to all the ice in a julep. Although she did like the EWSB '01 but I wanted to save that for sippin neat.

Thanks for the post, I was planning on trying to make these this weekend and will go with the OWA.

Best regards, Tony

I wish I could set up a bourbon tasting for.my wife. She hates alcohol (except German white wine). Her tastes are just plain bizzare. She typically tastes wood, and glue from most bourbons....including PVW 15 (SW).

Welcome to the board!

OWA and 4RSmB are on the cards for my derby day juleps. Cant wait to go to town on some ice with this:

31L1X5rkGsL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Does anyone have some favorite Mint Julep recipes? I saw the one from 1906 but I do not have a fresh stream leading to some mint.

Best regards, Tony

My house julep last year used OGD BIB. The julep is a very unadorned way of drinking bourbon, but it will be chilled and will dilute quickly, so something assertive and flavorful is going to be your best bet.

Making a julep is really easy. You need 6-8 mint leaves, some crushed ice, and some simple syrup. And some bourbon.

1. Put the mint leaves in the glass you plan on drinking the julep out of. This should be a metal julep cup, but a double rocks glass will do.

2. Add simple syrup to taste. For bourbon lovers like us start with a quarter ounce.

3. Gently muddle the mint and syrup. This means that you should press down on the mint with medium force and then give your muddler a half turn or so. Do it about 10 times.

4. Fill the glass completely with crushed ice.

5. Pour in 3 ounces of bourbon.

6. Pass this mixture back and forth with another vessel (a pint glass works fine) a 3 or 4 times. You want to incorporate the ingredients and start the chilling process.

7. Once you've returned the drink to the original glass, garnish with a sprig of fresh mint and add straws.

• 2 months later...

Oh that sounds like a fun time to me! Letting my man know we're going to have a bourbon tasting soon!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.