Rum Forum

Bmac
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Doeseveryone find that rum has a hard bitter edge when it is just poured, but after a few minutes of air it becomes buttery and sweet?

I like the Havana Club rums, I'm based in Canada so we get these here.

I used to like the Anejo best but now I add a dash of the 7 year old to it, which seems a perfect mingling.

They have the barrel proof here again and I'll get it soon. The last one seemed a little over-aged, but I'll try again and report anon.

Gary

I used to like the Anejo best but now I add a dash of the 7 year old to it, which seems a perfect mingling.

They have the barrel proof here again and I'll get it soon. The last one seemed a little over-aged, but I'll try again and report anon.

Gary

Gary

The barrel proof was my one of my favorites. This was a test marketed under that name then changed to "seleccion de maestros". Made from fermented molasses and aged in bourbon barrels.

• 2 weeks later...

RON MATUSALEM GRAN RESERVA 15 YO RUM

This rum is available around here for $45 (most stuff here is double price of most states). Anyone tried this?

• 3 weeks later...

Nightcap of Zacapa 23yr last night.

I'm really starting to appreciate more aged rums than I ever have. There are some great producers out there in this field. Thankfully, at least by me, there are less options of these than bourbon, so thats a automatic limit of how many I may want to buy and try.

I love the sweetness from them to help my sweet tooth satisfy its cravings, I figure it's a bit better than having a bowl of ice cream. Plus less looks from the misses. :grin:

B

• 2 weeks later...

Made caipirinhas the other night with Leblon. First time using this cachaça. I've also used Cabana and Novo Fogo (gold). Leblon tasted and smelled much more like molasses than I remember the others tasting and smelling like. Not a good or bad thing, just an observation.

• 1 month later...

I've been getting into rum lately, exploring different styles from around the Caribbean. Picked up a couple bottles of Appleton 12 for $25 on sale from Montgomery County liquors a few weeks ago and picked up an Appleton 21 for $60 in Maryland today (PM me if you want info). Haven't had it before, but you can't beat the price. Looking forward to setting up a tasting flight in the near future.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a decent collection of rums (last count was in the 100 bottle range). Some flavored, some spiced, some the real thing. It's hard for me to pick a favorite, though.

Nightcap of Zacapa 23yr last night.

I'm really starting to appreciate more aged rums than I ever have. There are some great producers out there in this field. Thankfully, at least by me, there are less options of these than bourbon, so thats a automatic limit of how many I may want to buy and try.

I love the sweetness from them to help my sweet tooth satisfy its cravings, I figure it's a bit better than having a bowl of ice cream. Plus less looks from the misses. :grin:

B

Did you mean 23 Solara or 23yr? Not the same Rum. If you know where there are any bottles of 23yr available I suggest you buy them all.

Did you mean 23 Solara or 23yr? Not the same Rum. If you know where there are any bottles of 23yr available I suggest you buy them all.

They're essentially the same juice, just with different words on the bottle. Zacapa hasn't made a true 23-year age stated rum, since they use pseudo-solera blending

Yes, the Solera. Basically the only version that i've ever come across.

I've only read about the old, old version, but the new is still very nice.

B

They're essentially the same juice, just with different words on the bottle. Zacapa hasn't made a true 23-year age stated rum, since they use pseudo-solera blending

In a blind tasting last summer and again recently there was a very noticeable difference between the older bottles with 23years on them and newer bottles with 23 solara on them. They says it's the same but it isn't, not even particularly close.

• 2 weeks later...

New rum being released in stores here; EL DORADO SINGLE BARREL EHP DEMERARA RUM

Any thought on this one?

Prices are high here...in reference; Zacapa Solera 23 $80, EL DORADO SINGLE BARREL EHP DEMERARA RUM $100

Is it worth more than the Zacapa?

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know about that one, but El Dorado 12 yo is a fave at $30. Try a 4 to 1 mix of ED 12yo and Grand Marnier over a few cubes. The orange flavors actually add a balancing dryness.

I'll have to try that Randy. Old rum and orange seem to have a complementary relation. I believe ED 12 and 15 (at least) are flavored with something of a fruity nature too, some kind of fruit extract, which may explain their particularly rich and savory flavor, and perhaps aptness for this treatment.

I have just perfected a great blend of ED 12 and 15.

Gary

• 1 month later...

This weekend I tried rum "seriously" for the first time. I've of course had rum as a mixer, but never anything too memorable. I've been thinking about trying some decent rum for a while and finally got around to it. The selection of rum here is absolutely dismal but there are a few things that interest me. The one I chose first was Zaya 12 year old. I'd have gone with Ron Abuelo 12 but it seems to be sold out right now.

I had the Zaya in a Glencairn, and really enjoyed it. So much candy sweetness and vanilla, certainly not something I could drink every day because of the sweetness but I can already tell I'll be happy with the purchase of this bottle. It'll be a while, but I think my next one will probably be Flor de Cana 18; I understand that it will probably be drier than the Zaya and so it will give me a beginning of an understanding of the variety in rum.

• 1 month later...

I know very little about higher-end sipping rums but decided to try to rectify that today. I was torn between two: Ron Zacapa Centenario ($45) and Ron Pampero Aniversario ($32). Ultimately I went with the Pampero because it was a little cheaper. I kind of wish I had gone with the Zacapa but I didn't want to spend that much on something I might not like at all. So we'll see what I think of the Pampero when I open it later today.

Here's a picture of the rum I mentioned in the previous post. You can tell how dark it truly is even with the obvious flash from the camera.

IMG_2089.jpg

I just cracked it open and I'm tasting it neat out of a glencairn glass. The nose has a lot of vanilla and is almost bourbon-like. Flavors I pick out of it neat are smooth toffee, butter, caramel and a little spice on the back end. For rum, this stuff is incredibly complex. Highly recommended!

Personally, I think you made the right choice. The Centenario is nice but perhaps a bit too sweet (and has long battled allegations of using additional sugar. I have no evidence either way. If you want a different, but equally good sipper, for about the same money as the Pampero consider seeking out the El Dorado 15 yo. One of my favorites not least of all because of the price.

From your picture it is like the Weller 12yo of rum!

Personally, I think you made the right choice. The Centenario is nice but perhaps a bit too sweet (and has long battled allegations of using additional sugar. I have no evidence either way. If you want a different, but equally good sipper, for about the same money as the Pampero consider seeking out the El Dorado 15 yo. One of my favorites not least of all because of the price.

From your picture it is like the Weller 12yo of rum!

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll see if I can find the El Dorado 15 here.

I'll have to try that Randy. Old rum and orange seem to have a complementary relation. I believe ED 12 and 15 (at least) are flavored with something of a fruity nature too, some kind of fruit extract, which may explain their particularly rich and savory flavor, and perhaps aptness for this treatment.

I have just perfected a great blend of ED 12 and 15.

Gary

Have no proof but I doubt the ED is "flavored" with anything. Rather you are getting the "flavor" of the ancient wooden pot stills that are the source of part of the distillate which is blended with rum from a variety of stills owned by Demerara Distillers Limited, the local monopoly on rum in Guyana. When the still are repaired they are fixed a stave at a time leaving the others that have been soaking in rum for who knows how long. You are getting all that flavor from the rum that has passed through for generations added to each new batch. It also means that the ED can change a little from batch to batch but the core taste that makes it special is always there!

I was pleasantly surprised by Pampero Aniversario when I first was offered an after dinner dram. I'm surprised the price has remained reasonable as well.

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll see if I can find the El Dorado 15 here.

I should also point out that El Dorado 15 (and all their expressions with an age statement) means that the youngest rum in the bottle is 15 years old. How they sell it for what they do is beyond me but I am happy they do! The 21yo is wonderful as well but for the price the 15yo is hard to beat. The 12yo is also good but the step up to the 15 is worth it to me.

This is unlike Zacapa which, after Diageo ruined, umm, took control of it, became a "solera" rum rather than a true 23 yo rum.

This is all welcomed and interesting info. I needed some aged rum to round out my bar and fill a mixed case discount from TPS when I took advantage of their flat rate shipping. I ordered a bottle of EL DORADO SPECIAL RESERVE RUM 15YR and the FLOR DE CANA CENTENARIO RUM 12YR. Should be here in a few days.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.