Rum Forum

Bmac
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I picked up 8 of the mini packs...all had the 21 full. Was the seal broken? If not I guess a manufacturing issue. The 12yo here is $36, the 15yo is $60, the SB EHP is $100, and the 21yo is $110. With those numbers I guess the best buy/quality would be the 12. I like the Angostura 1919 8yo I picked up for $40. I am thinking my next rum purchase might be Plantation Old Reserve for $40 and Angostura 1824 12yo for $76. Is the 1824 better than the 1919? Is it worth the extra $?

What is the difference between Cachaca and first molasses? Both are derived from sugar cane...is the sugar cane juice not boiled as it is in molasses?

I picked up 8 of the mini packs...all had the 21 full. Was the seal broken? If not I guess a manufacturing issue. The 12yo here is $36, the 15yo is $60, the SB EHP is $100, and the 21yo is $110. With those numbers I guess the best buy/quality would be the 12. I like the Angostura 1919 8yo I picked up for $40. I am thinking my next rum purchase might be Plantation Old Reserve for $40 and Angostura 1824 12yo for $76. Is the 1824 better than the 1919? Is it worth the extra $?

I'd love to find a mini-pack around here. Love the ED 12 and 15 I have. Finally found a source for the 3 locally. I'm a big fan. Around here, the 15 is the easiest to find of them all.

Any tiki fans on the forum? The amount of rum I own and consume has grown by leaps and bounds since getting Beachbum Berry Remixed last year for Christmas (along with a tiki bowl and tiki mugs).

im pretty new to both bourbon and rum. ive found 3 though that i reallly really like. legendario, havana club 7, and my favorite is zacapa 23.

I'd love to find a mini-pack around here. Love the ED 12 and 15 I have. Finally found a source for the 3 locally. I'm a big fan. Around here, the 15 is the easiest to find of them all.

Any tiki fans on the forum? The amount of rum I own and consume has grown by leaps and bounds since getting Beachbum Berry Remixed last year for Christmas (along with a tiki bowl and tiki mugs).

Picked up 2 more rums today. I liked the Angostura 1919 (8yr), so I decided to get then 1824 (12yr) as well. Will try these 2 head to head later. I also picked up Doorly's XO...looks like this one goes into sherry casks for a second maturation. Next rum up on the radar to buy another time is Mount Gay Extra Old.

I have and like both the Doorly's XO and the MGXO. Very nice Barbadian rums. The MGXO is a little more expensive (mid $30's?) but has a little more depth to me. Richard Seale, who makes the Doorly's XO, also makes one called RL Seale 10yo rum (named for him obviously) which is also quite nice if you can find it. Also comes in an interesting funky bottle. He also makes a decent but low proof spiced rum called Foursquare that I have enjoyed. None of them are very expensive. Probably low $20's around here.

Between the two Angostura rums I tried...I prefer the 1919 (8yr) over the 1824 (12yr). It's quite a bit cheaper too. The Doorly's XO was good too. Wasn't sure if I would like the sherry influence, because most scotch that's matured in sherry cask I find over-sherried. This wasn't the case with Doorly's, very well balanced.

Did you know that there is a Bowman rum? It's under the George Bowman label, nas, 80 proof and same shape bottle as the Bourbon and Rye (which I find a little strange and why I noticed it). I saw it at Binny's and iirc $39.99. The El Dorado age stated 12 year at $32.99 made more sense to me.

Did you know that there is a Bowman rum? It's under the George Bowman label, nas, 80 proof and same shape bottle as the Bourbon and Rye (which I find a little strange and why I noticed it). I saw it at Binny's and iirc $39.99. The El Dorado age stated 12 year at $32.99 made more sense to me.

Rum is something that I would think most distilleries would be able to make if they chose to. However, I believe the Bowman rum is a rum sourced from an undisclosed Caribbean manufacturer and then bottled in Virginia. I have certainly tried sourced things from a bottler before but in this case I have not tried the Bowman rum because, as you note, there are many nice rums for the same or less and because I haven't had anything motivate me to want to try it.

I guess it is supposed to fit in with their whole Colonial Williamsburg-esque motif given that rum was commonplace in that period.

Rum is something that I would think most distilleries would be able to make if they chose to. However, I believe the Bowman rum is a rum sourced from an undisclosed Caribbean manufacturer and then bottled in Virginia. I have certainly tried sourced things from a bottler before but in this case I have not tried the Bowman rum because, as you note, there are many nice rums for the same or less and because I haven't had anything motivate me to want to try it.

I guess it is supposed to fit in with their whole Colonial Williamsburg-esque motif given that rum was commonplace in that period.

What do you guys think about Oronoco?

I ask because I "reacquired" a 1L bottle of it from a friend. It tastes pretty good to me. Different from the Pampero but still good.

What do you guys think about Oronoco?

I ask because I "reacquired" a 1L bottle of it from a friend. It tastes pretty good to me. Different from the Pampero but still good.

An interesting rum from Brazil, it is made from cane juice like a rhum agricole by a company better known for making cachaça. It doesn't qualify as cachaça though as it is distilled to a proof to high for cachaça and then the juice is blended with other traditional molasses based rums. I don't have a bottle but have tried it. Fairly sweet and drinkable for a white rum as I recall but I would have to try it again to refresh my memory.

I have seen it priced anywhere from the low to mid $30's to mid $40's. Haven't priced it locally recently and it can sometimes be hard to find. As a mixing rum there are others that I like just as well that are much less expensive and more readily available like Flor de Cana 4yo or El Dorado 3yo (which is also quite tasty and pretty good on its own!).

Might make a decent sipper if you want to sip white rum (nothing wrong with white rum neat or on the rocks necessarily, just not something I do routinely as there are too many delicious brown rums I like better!) or work well in a mojito.

Bought a bottle of El Dorado 12 yesterday. Wow, I forgot how sweet rum is. Good stuff. I think I'll experiment with vatting this with certain bourbons. We all recall fondly the rummy flavors that used to be common in some glut era bourbons, why not recreate that. A very informal experiment with my current table bourbon (Old Heaven Hill 8/86) at about 5:1 bourbon to rum seems initially quite promising (reminiscent of 4R SmB).

I also have some toffee crunch ice cream that is begging for a drizzling of ED12.

I too, picked up a bottle of El Dorado, but I went with the 15 yr. I use Sugar in the Raw exclusively around the house for coffee, tea, etc. The nose on the ED 15 is identical. Really gorgeous. The texture is velvety, creamy, and wonderful. Thanks to all who spoke highly of this brand, and prompted me to purchase it.

Brisko, I like your idea of the vatting to try and recreated that rumminess aspect of the old bourbons. I may mess around with that myself over the next couple of days. :toast:

I recently added the last of a Mount Gay Extra Old to my whiskey living bottle (the continuing combo of the last ounce or two of lingering bourbons and ryes) with nice effect. I think I'll play around with some El Dorado and bourbon mingling too. I've got an '81 Old Forester BIB from DSP 414 opened now, which I can use as the model...it being some of the rummiest bourbon I've had.

• 2 weeks later...

Open rum bottles benefit from air time?

I am a firm believer that some of my favorite wheater-bourbons need to be open a while before they reach their prime.

Wanting to give other spirits a try, I ventured into rum recently- starting with Zaya Gran Reserva. I made a rum and coke for my wife with this and some Mexican Coca-Cola (cane sugar, no corn sugar). Before I knew it, bottle was drained and half a case of cokes went missing. I didn't get a chance to see what effect air had on this bottle's taste over time.

The next bottle is a Ron Abuelo 7 Años open for about five weeks now. I am having a difficult time determining if the air is improving the taste or not. I also opened a Appleton Estate Extra 12 three to four weeks ago. This seems to have a lot going for it, but there is an essence of gum rubber in the nose / taste that is off-putting. The rubber note has diminished some (I think) but it needs a ways to go.

Have any of you noticed an improvement in your open rums, like an opened wheater bourbon ?

I have an sealed El Dorado 15, Ron Zacapa Solera 23 and Plantation Panama 2000 on deck. I'm trying to be patient and not plow into the good stuff before I get an education from what's already opened!

Rob

I am a firm believer that some of my favorite wheater-bourbons need to be open a while before they reach their prime.

Wanting to give other spirits a try, I ventured into rum recently- starting with Zaya Gran Reserva. I made a rum and coke for my wife with this and some Mexican Coca-Cola (cane sugar, no corn sugar). Before I knew it, bottle was drained and half a case of cokes went missing. I didn't get a chance to see what effect air had on this bottle's taste over time.

The next bottle is a Ron Abuelo 7 Años open for about five weeks now. I am having a difficult time determining if the air is improving the taste or not. I also opened a Appleton Estate Extra 12 three to four weeks ago. This seems to have a lot going for it, but there is an essence of gum rubber in the nose / taste that is off-putting. The rubber note has diminished some (I think) but it needs a ways to go.

Have any of you noticed an improvement in your open rums, like an opened wheater bourbon ?

I have an sealed El Dorado 15, Ron Zacapa Solera 23 and Plantation Panama 2000 on deck. I'm trying to be patient and not plow into the good stuff before I get an education from what's already opened!

Rob

I drink most of my rums either neat, with a bit or ice or occasionally as a rum old fashioned variation usually using a rich demerara or cane syrup (J. Green’s Sugar Cane Syrup is a great one if you can find it and but it is hard to find). Have been slowly working through an ED 15 but haven't noticed in a big changes over the past couple of months. There is probably some impact from oxidation over time but I don't recall a bottle of rum that has been open for a while that was any better, or worse for that matter, for having been open.

Then again I haven't really been deliberately looking for changes so would likely have missed something that was subtle.

Some of my rums have been open a couple of years or more and has softened and lost some sparkle and complexity. The core flavors and character remain however.

On the subject of mingling bourbon and ED 12 rum: some successes, some failures. As I mentioned earlier, Old HH 8/86 was a success. WTRB was not. It really brings out the bitterness on the finish.

The surprise winner was Jefferson's 10 year rye (the newer, non-Canadian). Wowza! at about 2:1 rye to rum this is killer. I think the rum balances out the all-rye mash perfectly. I also tried it with some Willett 5 year (LDI) rye and it was good but need more oak. I'm tempted to buy another bottle of Jefferson's and vat the whole thing, it's that good.

On the subject of mingling bourbon and ED 12 rum: some successes, some failures. As I mentioned earlier, Old HH 8/86 was a success. WTRB was not. It really brings out the bitterness on the finish.

The surprise winner was Jefferson's 10 year rye (the newer, non-Canadian). Wowza! at about 2:1 rye to rum this is killer. I think the rum balances out the all-rye mash perfectly. I also tried it with some Willett 5 year (LDI) rye and it was good but need more oak. I'm tempted to buy another bottle of Jefferson's and vat the whole thing, it's that good.

Hmm. A "Rum n Rye". Has a nice ring to it, too. I'll try this at home.

:toast:

Rob

Lots of rums are aged in bourbon casks, and have delicate vanilla notes. I do find the sometimes vanilla notes do get stronger with time when bottles are open for a bit.

For xmas I got a bottle of Admiral Rodney XO. Here this is the same price as RZ 23 and very hard to find. I like it better than the RZ 23, being not quite so sweet. I also tried Mount Gay Eclipse, and had it head to head with the Mount Gay XO. The Eclipse being around 1/2 the price holds up pretty well. The XO is a slightly better rum with more bourbon influence, but the Eclipse also has a nice profile too.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.