Rum Forum

Bmac
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

T Comp, that's a spectacular deal. I strongly prefer the ED15 over the 12.

E and T, what do y'all think about the nose of the ED15? I picked up a bottle a few weeks ago, and have visited it several times, since. But, I have to admit that I am put off by the nose. Something funky. Sipping it, there is none of that, which is disagreeable to me. It's delightful, actually. Creamy sweet, touch of orange, and with a drying and spectacularly long finish. But, there is something on the nose that doesn't hit me right. I have a bottle of Plantation Rum Grande Reserve that gave me the same funk. What are your nosing thoughts on this?

I thought I liked ED 15 over the 12. Blind tasting a bunch of rum I picked the 12 over the 15. Either way Eldorado is a fav

E and T, what do y'all think about the nose of the ED15? I picked up a bottle a few weeks ago, and have visited it several times, since. But, I have to admit that I am put off by the nose. Something funky. Sipping it, there is none of that, which is disagreeable to me. It's delightful, actually. Creamy sweet, touch of orange, and with a drying and spectacularly long finish. But, there is something on the nose that doesn't hit me right. I have a bottle of Plantation Rum Grande Reserve that gave me the same funk. What are your nosing thoughts on this?

What you might be getting on the nose is a whiff of something the Cognac guys call rancio. Kind of a musty funk that hints at soggy old wood. As odd as it sounds if it's a balanced part of the nose and flavors it can work. Might be an acquired appreciation however.

joe, basically what sailor said. I describe it as a kind of musty, organic off-ness that's there, that sound about right?

That would be an accurate description. Is it a mistake? Or, a normal part of some rum making?

I'm going with intentional. It's a little more pronounced but deeper and more complex in the ElDo 21 and is a big part of the overall dryness of the ElDo 25. Both of which my cigar smoking friends say pair excellent with a cigar.

Because Demerara Rum can be so cloyingly sweet I think the "oldness" and "soggy woodness" is used by some manufacturers as a kind of counterpoint both on the nose and in the flavor basket in order to move it away from the pancake syrup it can be.

I have grown to like it very much. When it's present I anticipate a more complex tasting experience. It also speaks of time in the barrel which is so often absent from Rum.

I also like it, it isn't bad, to me, just that unique aged taste from el dorado rum.

You guys are killing me. I've got hours of reports to get done by tomorrow but here I am trying little pours of the ED 15 to check the funk out more :grin:. This bottle has a clear inkjet date of Aug/17/12. Now in the glass I'm not getting much of any rancio or even mustiness...but hold on...just shook, popped the cork and immediately took a big whiff from the bottle and damn!!!! Yep just a hint...but it's there. Rancio, mustiness or even more what I'd describe as that most definite of smells, the barnyard, and not hay...some might even call it sh*t...just like in some fantastic Rhone and Burgundy wines I've had. Damn good schnauze you got there Joe!

I find this does blow off in the glass and then there is also grapey/cognac/sherry flavors mixed in with the traditional rum sugars making this ED 15 a really unique, delicious and more complex rum, I quite enjoy dancing with...even though I'll always be married to American whiskey :cool:. But damn Steve, now you got me interested in the 21 and 25 too.

But damn Steve, now you got me interested in the 21 and 25 too.

One of the things Steve's really good at - getting people interested in whiskey.

One of the most frustrating things about enjoying Rum is the obfuscation and deceptions by the producers. The Ministry of Rum - perhaps the most populated forum won't allow any discussion that's critical of producers or that asks any hard questions. So the marketing line of producers is rolled out as gospel.

If you have been frustrated by the pandering and fawning of "critics" Hamilton and Burr you will welcome a breath of fresh air as David Driscol of K&L travels to the islands looking for honey barrels and asking direct questions.

Hope you enjoy this as much as I do;

http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/

Thanks for posting that link Steve. I don't always agree with Driscoll's tasting notes but I do enjoy his travels.

I will say that in my reading over on Ministry of Rum the loose age statement policies practiced by the producers are openly discussed, as are such tidbits as how El Dorado 12 manages to be so sweet when it's older age stated rums are less so.

I've found the Ministry to be a good source of information and discussion. Criticism of specific products, such as rums which use flavoring, have numbers on the labels that don't correspond to age, or are bad, is done. Trolling, attacking members, and spreading disinformation are not well tolerated.

Getting accurate information on many rums is more difficult than bourbon, as US regulations for rum are less stringent for rum.

Back from my rum soaked vacation to Cuba. Gotta love a place where the rum drinking starts before noon...

Tried several different brands but the main national brand that most people know, Havana Club, proved to be the best for sipping neat. Tried pretty much everything and the 7 años proved to be the best bang for the buck at about 15 CUC for a 700ml (local currency is .87 CUC's to the dollar. A rip off because Cuba adds an extra 10% fee to US currency not charged to other currency's. I used Pounds as a result). Also tried the HC Barrel Proof, a 90 proof rum no longer being made, the HC Seleccion de Maestros (40 CUCs) which is apparently its replacement and also 90 proof and finally the 80 proof 15 años which was by far the best but cost a ridiculous 150 CUC.

I did get the bartender to give me the bottle we finished off at the bar as a "souvenir" and brought that home with me.

post-8493-14489818709501_thumb.jpg

Bringing rum (or cigars) is of course illegal and seemed foolish since I was coming directly back from Cuba and I since I already have some Havana Club rum brought back on trips from other countries.

• 3 weeks later...

Went to the store to pick up Appleton Blenders' Legacy. Regular price is $90, which is good for Canada....to my surprise there was a clearance for $63. I picked up all 3 on the shelf. Great rum...a little step up from the 12yo :)

I try to keep bottles of Barbancourt 15 and Don Q Gran Añejo. Both are great sipping rums!

Now, on stuff I will try NOT to keep, I recently took a risk on a bottle of this Kraken run. Great looking bottle. The contents were rather vile though. As a last resort, I tried it with some coffee. However, that was not sufficient to save iot from getting tossed down the drain :slappin:

I try to keep bottles of Barbancourt 15 and Don Q Gran Añejo. Both are great sipping rums!

Now, on stuff I will try NOT to keep, I recently took a risk on a bottle of this Kraken run. Great looking bottle. The contents were rather vile though. As a last resort, I tried it with some coffee. However, that was not sufficient to save iot from getting tossed down the drain :slappin:

It's hard to think of any spiced Rum as a sipper. I'm sure some make interesting cocktails.

Feeling a bit rummy tonight so it was back to a couple of old favorites, El Dorado 12 and 15. The 12 is good but the 15 is still better at least to me. Just richer and a little more funky than the 12. Saw a post about the two on SKU's blog but I just can't agree. I find nothing overdone with the 15. She's just right!

For me the 12 is just a little less interesting. If the 15 weren't around it would be fine (and it is a fine rum in its own right!) but given a choice the 15 wins every time for me. Of course they are composed of different rums from different stills so one can't really make a direct comparison between them.

Happened upon Myers's Legend 10yo while checking out stores I haven't been in for awhile. Don't see that much locally (or else just haven't noticed it) so I picked one up even though it was a bit pricey at $40.

Surprised to see that it was in the exact same bottle at the Old Forester Birthday Bourbon. Tried it out against Appleton 12yo. Both were nice but didn't find it to be a big enough difference to make it worth hunting for with the Appleton readily available as the Jamaican pot still component of the liquor cabinet. And while the bottle style is a nice appearance it is a pain to store.

I am reminded why this style of rum is thought to be "whiskey-like". Something about the pot still source and they way they pick up a whiskey influence from the barrel more than other rums seem to.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.