Rum Forum

Bmac
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Picked up my first cachaça yesterday. Found a couple of 375ml bottles of a Maison Leblon Reserva Especial aged cachaça and decided to give one a try on a bit of a whim. Like the Rogue whiskey it was a special order that was never picked up.

Reportedly this is aged up to two years in new Limousin French oak (no char I presume) and blended from single batches distilled in alambique potstills. Taste profile is described as a "complex smooth spirit with notes of honey, caramel, and pine nuts".

Not sure I got much in the way of pine nuts but there was a nice honey/caramel component combined with the vegetal component of a new make cachaça or rhum agricole. Tasted it neat at room temp but it might benefit from a bit of ice or a little time in the refrigerator before serving.

post-8493-14489819486549_thumb.jpeg

post-8493-14489819486304_thumb.jpeg

Picked up my first cachaça yesterday. Found a couple of 375ml bottles of a Maison Leblon Reserva Especial aged cachaça and decided to give one a try on a bit of a whim. Like the Rogue whiskey it was a special order that was never picked up.

Reportedly this is aged up to two years in new Limousin French oak (no char I presume) and blended from single batches distilled in alambique potstills. Taste profile is described as a "complex smooth spirit with notes of honey, caramel, and pine nuts".

Not sure I got much in the way of pine nuts but there was a nice honey/caramel component combined with the vegetal component of a new make cachaça or rhum agricole. Tasted it neat at room temp but it might benefit from a bit of ice or a little time in the refrigerator before serving.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16106[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]16107[/ATTACH]

If you want a great cachaça at a better price, then try Fazenda Mae de Ouro. It's definitely far better than the regular Leblon offering, but I haven't had the Reserva Especial. Also, be sure to make a Caipirinha… the classic drink with cachaça.

If you want a great cachaça at a better price, then try Fazenda Mae de Ouro. It's definitely far better than the regular Leblon offering, but I haven't had the Reserva Especial. Also, be sure to make a Caipirinha… the classic drink with cachaça.

I've had cachaça and Caipirinha's before, just never bought one of my own. Mae de Ouro is available here in town I believe but I am more interested in the extra aged versions and different woods used including local Brazilian woods. But those seem hard to come by at least in the US. I bought this Leblon bottle more out of curiosity as it seemed to have more age than most others I have seen. The industrial grade fiery young cachaça like Pitu and 51 don't really interest me much and even those that have a little aging like the 1yo Mae de Ouro probably wouldn't be what I am looking for.

If I could find the five year old Mae de Ouro then I would give that a try!

I've had cachaça and Caipirinha's before, just never bought one of my own. Mae de Ouro is available here in town I believe but I am more interested in the extra aged versions and different woods used including local Brazilian woods. But those seem hard to come by at least in the US. I bought this Leblon bottle more out of curiosity as it seemed to have more age than most others I have seen. The industrial grade fiery young cachaça like Pitu and 51 don't really interest me much and even those that have a little aging like the 1yo Mae de Ouro probably wouldn't be what I am looking for.

If I could find the five year old Mae de Ouro then I would give that a try!

If you find a good aged Cachaça in the states, then I'd love to hear about it.

If you find a good aged Cachaça in the states, then I'd love to hear about it.

The US distributor, Domaine Select, has it listed as a product they distribute but I can't tell where it is located. I guess I just need to contact them and see if I get a response. Perhaps it is available somewhere in NY.

No 5 year old Mae de Ouro on DUNY or Astor but I do see a couple of moderately aged cachaça's including Novo Fogo gold and one from Avua (not familiar with that brand) aged in local amburana wood.

Will have to give those some thought.

Edited by tanstaafl2

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't had any aged cachaca sounds interesting, but man, I love me a caiprainha on a hot day.

In other news I saw a bunch of Mount Gay Eclipse from the 80's with either real or faux tax stamps. They were 375mls and overpriced at $9.99 each and 200mls @ $5.99 so I passed on them for now. Does anyone know if there's anything special about these? Any reason to pay a premium or even spend time trying to negotiate a lower price? Thanks in advance.

Have had no luck getting any info about the 5yo Mae de Ouro which is both frustrating and annoying. But I intend to keep at it!

I did pick up a Clement Cuvee Homere today because it seemed to be a bit less than the usual $100+ I see it going for. Cracked it open at the next store I stopped at to share with a couple of employees who are always helpful. Relatively light and easy to drink making it a nice summer rum. Somewhere between rum and a light whiskey.

Scratched a particularly strong itch this week with the arrival of some Clement Single Barrel Cask Strength rhum agricole from overseas. Having tried this thanks to the generosity of a fellow SBer I really was interested in acquiring some of my own. Unfortunately increased overseas shipping costs made this a particularly expensive itch to scratch but sometimes you just have to relieve what ails you!

post-8493-14489819633978_thumb.jpeg

This particular bottling weighed in at about 9 years 4 months and despite being cask strength is at a very drinkable 46.8 ABV.

Some people look for the white whale bottles. This is my Salmon bottle. First it was born and raised in Martinique, then it traveled to France and on to the Netherlands before once again crossing the pond to my home!

Next it wioll go in my belly before eventually making its way through various modern public services to the Chattahoochee river and down to the Gulf! From there it can once again return home to the lovely island of Martinique and perhaps a bit of it can again been reborn as part of a another lovely bottle of rhum agricole...

post-8493-14489819633293_thumb.jpeg

post-8493-1448981963354_thumb.jpg

Edited by tanstaafl2

That bottle is well travelled... I'll tell you about my VR21 one of these days.

Looking forward to your impressions.

That bottle is well travelled... I'll tell you about my VR21 one of these days.

Looking forward to your impressions.

As am I! Plan to crack one tonight. The previous tasting I had of it was spectacular but that bottle had been open awhile and was a different barrel of course. These are single barrel so I suppose some variation is to be expected.

As am I! Plan to crack one tonight. The previous tasting I had of it was spectacular but that bottle had been open awhile and was a different barrel of course. These are single barrel so I suppose some variation is to be expected.

Glad you managed to get some in hand! Good notes. We will have to compare the different barrels when I visit Atlanta this fall.

It really is much more like a whiskey than what we think of as Rum isn't it. Really makes you wonder how much flavorings they add to so much of what is on the shelf.

Edited by sailor22

Glad you managed to get some in hand! Good notes. We will have to compare the different barrels when I visit Atlanta this fall.

It really is much more like a whiskey than what we think of as Rum isn't it. Really makes you wonder how much flavorings they add to so much of what is on the shelf.

Hopefully your visit will correspond with a time that I am in town. Going to be gone a fair bit of September and October. But I am still determined to make a trip to Tallahassee at some point!

Not exactly rum but rum based. El Dorado Rum Cream Liqueur. Very tasty stuff.

Be forewarned, it is a slippery slope! This wesite has some interesting info that tells you a bit more about the different formulations. As Squire notes, with El Dorado the older rums aren't just older versions of the same blend but unique blends of their own.

http://www.rumgallery.com/el-dorado-12-year-old.html

http://www.rumgallery.com/el-dorado-special-reserve-2.html

http://www.rumgallery.com/el-dorado-special-reserve.html

http://www.rumgallery.com/el-dorado-millennium-25.html

Some history on the stills:

http://www.demeraradistillers.com/our-heritage/the-stills

Thanks to the generosity of Steve/Sailor22 I got to try the ED 25yo for the first (and perhaps only?) time. If I saw a bottle I might buy it despite the mind numbing price. But I would really like to find a nicely aged pure Port Mourant bottling that didn't cost two arms and leg the way the ED25 does. There are a few out there by independent bottlers but I don't see them in the States much.

DDL offers a 12-14 yo distillers bottling of three different stills including the Port Mourant still but I don't think it comes to the US very often either. I would love to get all three of the "single still" rums to try.

Binny's got all three in the past couple of months. Not sure on age, but they're $75 a pop. Should I give any of these a shot?

It really depends on how much $75 is worth to you. Here ED 12 is $34, the 15 not a lot more, and both are quite satisfying. The rare high end stuff is hard to find and priced accordingly.

Binny's got all three in the past couple of months. Not sure on age, but they're $75 a pop. Should I give any of these a shot?

As someone who really enjoys ED rums I would get all three just to be able to try them. They should reflect the unique nature of the rum from each still but I would think they won't be as complex as the regular ED line. But if they haven't doctored the rum too much I think they would be fascinating to try.

If Binny's shipped to Georgia I would probably be placing an order! Will have to look around to see if they are available locally.

That's what I was thinking, less complex but didn't want to appear to be in any way negative. They are certainly unique in a good way.

I'm just curious about what different notes the different stills will impart (obviously). I think I may enjoy the 'pot still effect' but I haven't had enough spirits from them to identify exactly what it is yet. However, I'll probably pass on these. ED12 is good, but it hasn't nudged its way to the top of my collection.

• 3 weeks later...
e8asuveb.jpganybody have any information on this? Saw it in a store today for $99.00 looks to be mid 80s

I found what seems to be an early 90s example (faux stamp and govt warning) for $20. I'll try to post some tasting notes this week.

Picked up a bottle of Richland Rum. Distilled in Richland, GA of some part cane juice from cane grown on their farm (limited due to climate, even though S. GA), and also cane syrup.

Only have nosed, so far, and that part is pleasant. I'll prime my taste buds with it tonight, in preparation for the bourbon onslaught that will follow over the next couple of days at KBF...:D

http://www.richlandrum.com/index.html

Heading to Jamaica in a couple of months for some r&r. Never been but guessing 1) I won't find any bourbon beyond Jim and Jack and 2) I will find rum out the wazoo. So.....assuming I am right what are the consensus recs for rums that a bourbon guy would enjoy sipping?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.