Rum Forum

Bmac
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It has certainly calmed down since first opened ... but is still there especially on the palate, not as obvious on the nose but more in the background. Would be interested in reading your notes, especially related to mouthfeel and finish.

Even the El Dorado website describes it as a small batch rum despite putting single barrel prominently on the label.

Perhaps they mean the big single barrel they mix it all up in.

First time I have seen the Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva available here so I picked up a bottle for $48 CND. Really good rum at this price (comparisons; Ron Zacapa 23yr solera is $80 and El Dorado 15yr is $60)

The Diplomatico Reservas are great value. I used to drink them a lot (when I wasn't awash in opened bourbon bottles!). Sort of a buttery caramel taste instead of straight caramel like the Zacapa 23, or the honey of the Zacapa 15.

tbt

I've been drinking my new bottle of Diplomatica Reserva these last few days and loving it. Can't wait to try the Exclusiva that I also picked up, but have been trying to familiarize myself with the 8 year old first. As much as I enjoyed the Flor de Cana 7 and Ron Abuela 7, I have to give the edge to the DR which sadly has dropped the age statement. (My brother preferred the Abuela 7 which really is quite good too.)

It has certainly calmed down since first opened ... but is still there especially on the palate, not as obvious on the nose but more in the background. Would be interested in reading your notes, especially related to mouthfeel and finish.
Edited by tanstaafl2

Anybody have any recommendations on good quality rums? I'm not the biggest fan of the Zacapa 23 that I tried. I saw an El Dorado 21 that caught my interest. Also saw a 25 year old as well. Big difference in price between the two though.

El Dorado, 12, 15 or 21 are all excellent, deep-flavored rums that bespeak the true taste of old Caribbean rum. They leave in the rubbery chemical notes to be slowly altered by the long slumber in cask. Result: what true rum is all about. The five year is very good too but it has a more neutral taste, clearly angled to the column still side of the palate.

I am not a fan of the Diplomatico line mentioned. Too bland.

I just bought a bottle of Screech, the famous (in Canada) rum bottled in Newfoundland from unspecified Caribbean stocks. Excellent rum! Rich-coloured and tasting with a pleasing combination of rum oils, sweet caramel and bourbon barrel notes. I would be surprised if the caramel flask didn't make a telling contribution to this blend, but I'm good with it. The only thing that holds it back from being great is the somewhat short finish, but hey it's only $26.00 (CDN).

Anybody have any recommendations on good quality rums? I'm not the biggest fan of the Zacapa 23 that I tried. I saw an El Dorado 21 that caught my interest. Also saw a 25 year old as well. Big difference in price between the two though.

My experience with rum is limited but I would suggest the El Dorado 15. I love the 21 but for about half the price I think the 15 is a great deal.

El Dorado, 12, 15 or 21 are all excellent, deep-flavored rums that bespeak the true taste of old Caribbean rum. They leave in the rubbery chemical notes to be slowly altered by the long slumber in cask. Result: what true rum is all about. The five year is very good too but it has a more neutral taste, clearly angled to the column still side of the palate.

I am not a fan of the Diplomatico line mentioned. Too bland.

I find Diplomatico's charms more subtle and nuanced than some of the other rums I've recently purchased but certainly far from bland, at least to my tastes. But for those who are seeking a bolder drink, I would agree that you can't go wrong with Eldorado 12 which is a truly fabulous spirit (and affordably priced too!). Looking forward to trying Diplomatico's and Eldorado's big brothers in the not-too-distant future.

Zacapa 23 and ElDorado 12, 15, 21, 25 are all dark sweet Rums. So if the Zacapa isn't in your wheel house I wouldn't expect the ElDos to be a huge hit either. Note that the ElDorado line gets dryer and a little less sweet the older the age statement so if any of them are going to work for you it will most likely be the 21. The 25 is IMHO a very good Rum but at that price you should get a taste first.

You might want to try a completely different style. Perhaps one of the Rums with a more Whiskey like character will be a better fit. Mount Gay XO or OLd Cask and Pussers blue or red label come to mind.

IN addition to the two mentioned above here are some quality Rums that represent different styles;

Barbancourt 4 star and 15yr

Appelton 12 ans 21yr

English Harbour 10yr

Bacardi 8

Zafra 21

Clement 10yr and Curvee Homere

Plantation Panama Rum

Matusalem Gran Reserva or 15yr

There are also two that were supposedly designed as full bodied mixers but are very interesting sipped neat if your taste runs toward the bold side. Scarlet Ibis and Smith and Cross traditional Jamaican Rum. If they are too bold on their own they really do make killer mixers.

There are plenty of more esoteric and obscure rums that are good quality pours but the list above should get you started.

Probably also worth noting the PM is the only one of the three that is a pot still rum and likely has more of that over ripe fruit quality that I would associate with an "acetone" quality.

Funny you mention the cork - mine completely crumbled when I opened it; luckily most of it stayed in my hand.

Good point on the over-ripe fruit note - I'll keep that in mind next time around. I've had about 25% of the bottle and the last pour was not as dominated by those notes, but the finish was still a bit lacking to me. I'd love to know how old these single still bottlings are (apologies for saying single barrel earlier).

Will try again in another week or so ... also might look out for one of those EHPs, but was also thinking of the 15 or 21 next or possibly exploring a Jamaican style.

Funny you mention the cork - mine completely crumbled when I opened it; luckily most of it stayed in my hand.

Good point on the over-ripe fruit note - I'll keep that in mind next time around. I've had about 25% of the bottle and the last pour was not as dominated by those notes, but the finish was still a bit lacking to me. I'd love to know how old these single still bottlings are (apologies for saying single barrel earlier).

Will try again in another week or so ... also might look out for one of those EHPs, but was also thinking of the 15 or 21 next or possibly exploring a Jamaican style.

No need to apologize for calling them Single Barrel since that is what it says in big letters on the label! I am just not fully convinced that is what they are. But I have no definitive proof.

Buying the EHP, PM and ICBU is really more for the experience. While they are interesting rums that can potentially help you understand how the various El Dorado rums are created they can certainly be a bit funky in their own right. I enjoy them for that potential insight. I also hope they are a bit more "natural" with less sugar and coloring added. I suppose it is unrealistic to think they are completely free of either of those but the 12, 15 and even the 21 appear to have a fairly significant amount of sweetness added that I don't find to be as pronounced in these single still/barrel rums.

• 2 weeks later...

With summer kicking off this weekend and spending as much as possible at the beach I'm thinking of revisiting rum, something I haven't had much of the last two years while I really got into bourbon/rye.

I'm wondering if you all could point me in the direction of something I might like.

I tend to prefer higher proof stuff in the bourbon/rye world, usually stuff under 100 doesn't do much for me and under 90 is pretty much always disappointing. I enjoy HH bonded stuff quite a bit, and 4RSB stuff is usually great. I enjoy the kick of OGD114 and Stagg Jr quite a bit. On the rye side I'm a big fan of Rittenhouse and though I've only had one bottle of the Jefferson 10 year I thought it was really nice. Occasionally I'll go for something as woody as Elijah Craig 12 year, but anything more than that tends to turn turn me off.

So I guess looking at that higher proof, generally higher rye, and in the moderate age category is really in my wheelhouse. I tend to drink neat, but like most I'll toss in a couple ice cubes to chill down things while hanging out on the dock.

In the rum world I've enjoyed Appleton, and have a bottle of it down at the inlaws place on the coast. Coworker gave me a bottle of Zafra 21 last Christmas and I'll have a glass of that from time to time, decent but doesn't keep me coming back.

Given all that, is there any rum that you'd suggest I try? Looking at costs I don't think have any worries in that department, don't want to break the bank but it looks like some good stuff can be had reasonably priced.

Thanks!

Edited by ramblinman

Finding higher proof stuff in the rum world is sometimes a bit challenging unless you can find some independent bottlers which are not typically readily available on the shelf.

Balcones Rumble Cask Strength is fun if not strictly a rum. But it is not easy to find either. Plantation Dark Overproof is intended more as a tiki mixer at 146 proof but is a decent sipper with a touch of water. Smith & Cross is 114 pf but pretty funky. I think whiskey drinkers would do well with the Rhum agricoles like Clement, Neisson and Barbancourt but most of those are under 100 proof. Clement for example is typically 88 pf for most bottlings. Maybe try Barbancourt 5 star (8yo) and see how that suits you. Generally easy to find and not as expensive as some of the Martinique rhums.

Finding higher proof stuff in the rum world is sometimes a bit challenging unless you can find some independent bottlers which are not typically readily available on the shelf.

Balcones Rumble Cask Strength is fun if not strictly a rum. But it is not easy to find either. Plantation Dark Overproof is intended more as a tiki mixer at 146 proof but is a decent sipper with a touch of water. Smith & Cross is 114 pf but pretty funky. I think whiskey drinkers would do well with the Rhum agricoles like Clement, Neisson and Barbancourt but most of those are under 100 proof. Clement for example is typically 88 pf for most bottlings. Maybe try Barbancourt 5 star (8yo) and see how that suits you. Generally easy to find and not as expensive as some of the Martinique rhums.

Thanks for the insight. Looks like I might be out of luck on the proof side, but I'm willing to branch out a bit and sample as long as we're close to 90 :).

Scarlet Ibis, Mount Gay XO and Pussers Blue Label will all give you some of the whiskey kick while retaining the Rum notes. Like tanstaafl noted the Cross and Blackwell is a funky monkey but will be a ride that will remind you of a young barrel strength whiskey.

Thanks for the insight. Looks like I might be out of luck on the proof side, but I'm willing to branch out a bit and sample as long as we're close to 90 :).

Clement 10 yo or Cuvee Homere might be your cup of tea then at 88 proof. But neither are cheap (Homere is usually $100 plus, the 10 more like $70) and they aren't ones you will likely find in just any store. May have to hunt a bit. The Barbancourt is 86 pf I think and usually pretty easy to find. Not quite as good as Clement in my mind but certainly a better QPR!

Scarlet Ibis, Mount Gay XO and Pussers Blue Label will all give you some of the whiskey kick while retaining the Rum notes. Like tanstaafl noted the Cross and Blackwell is a funky monkey but will be a ride that will remind you of a young barrel strength whiskey.

Ah yes, Mount Gay XO is another nice option to consider and also at 86 pf for around $50 or so. Some folks seem to prefer the Mount Gay 1703 which I think is a good bit more costly and doesn't offer enough difference for the extra cost to me.

Thank you gentlemen, just grabbed a bottle of the Barbancourt 8 yr, looking forward to trying it out.

They had a bottle of the 15-year-old that I almost grabbed but decided I would try the eight first

Edited by ramblinman

Out on a raid to celebrate the holiday and stumbled across a couple of deals I couldn't pass up. Store had the El Dorado 15 and 21 at what looked to be more like the original 2012/early 2013 prices as best I could tell. Have a few of the ED15 since it is a favorite but just couldn't let the ED21 pass at $70 plus a case discount!

post-8493-14489820919577_thumb.jpg

Then I saw a Clement XO for $80 plus the discount and decided I should probably invite that one to come home with me as well and join the rest of its Clement brethren. That one is usually more like $125 and up when I see it at all. Heck, I came close to getting two! I still might...

Just got finished reading through the thread. I've never been much of a rum drinker. I did enjoy the cask strength rum at Thomas Tew in RI a few years ago, but they only sell the 80 proof in bottles. I bought a bottle, but it has mostly lingered on the shelf, passed up for more interesting pours. A friend brought back a bottle of (standard 7 yo) Old Monk from India, which is a huge butterscotch bomb. It's a decent pour neat and works well in Gary Regan's mai tai recipe (1 oz dark rum, 1 oz light, 1 oz lime juice, 3/4 oz orgeat, 1/2 oz orange liqueur). What do people think of Old Monk? I've heard that it's available in Canada to some extent, but haven't really searched it out. Does anyone know what's added to it?

I'm headed down to burgers and beers at TPS on Thursday and plan to sample some of their rums at their tasting bar. Currently thinking about picking up the El Dorado 12 and possibly the 10 year Clement, but the tasting might talk me into different bottles (depending on what they're still pouring).

Just got finished reading through the thread. I've never been much of a rum drinker. I did enjoy the cask strength rum at Thomas Tew in RI a few years ago, but they only sell the 80 proof in bottles. I bought a bottle, but it has mostly lingered on the shelf, passed up for more interesting pours. A friend brought back a bottle of (standard 7 yo) Old Monk from India, which is a huge butterscotch bomb. It's a decent pour neat and works well in Gary Regan's mai tai recipe (1 oz dark rum, 1 oz light, 1 oz lime juice, 3/4 oz orgeat, 1/2 oz orange liqueur). What do people think of Old Monk? I've heard that it's available in Canada to some extent, but haven't really searched it out. Does anyone know what's added to it?

I'm headed down to burgers and beers at TPS on Thursday and plan to sample some of their rums at their tasting bar. Currently thinking about picking up the El Dorado 12 and possibly the 10 year Clement, but the tasting might talk me into different bottles (depending on what they're still pouring).

I am not a big fan of a generic recipe like Regan’s above. I tend to defer to Beach Bum Berry who recommends the Trader Vic version of the Mai Tai (Donn the Beachcomber had a slightly different version earlier but the Trader Vic one seems to work better). Problem is Vic’s Mai Tai was built around a distinctive 17yo rum from Wray & Nephew that doesn’t exist anymore. Most people try to recreate it using a combination of an aged Rhum agricole and a solid Jamaican rum. The fairly classic formula is:

1 ounce each:

Fresh lime juice – I tend to use ½ to ¾ oz

Rhum Clément VSOP Martinique rum

Appleton Estate 12yo Jamaican rum – I like to use Smith & Cross instead

1/2 ounce orange Curacao – Clement Creole Shrubb is a great substitute

1/4 ounce each orgeat syrup and sugar syrup.

Add at least 2 cups of crushed ice, then shake well for around 10 seconds. Pour unstrained into a double old-fashioned glass. Sink your spent lime shell in the drink (the classic Mai Tai garnish), and garnish with a mint sprig.

I have seen many rums used in creating a Mai Tai, including more than 2 at a time. Heck, half the fun is finding what works best for you!

Old Monk Rum is OK but like many rums it is probably a bit of a cocktail in a bottle with added coloring, sugar and perhaps other flavors (I have no definitive details). It has a strong caramel flavor to me. The rules for spirits in India are about as loose as they are in the Caribbean!

I am not a big fan of a generic recipe like Regan’s above. I tend to defer to Beach Bum Berry who recommends the Trader Vic version of the Mai Tai (Donn the Beachcomber had a slightly different version earlier but the Trader Vic one seems to work better). Problem is Vic’s Mai Tai was built around a distinctive 17yo rum from Wray & Nephew that doesn’t exist anymore. Most people try to recreate it using a combination of an aged Rhum agricole and a solid Jamaican rum. The fairly classic formula is:

1 ounce each:

Fresh lime juice – I tend to use ½ to ¾ oz

Rhum Clément VSOP Martinique rum

Appleton Estate 12yo Jamaican rum – I like to use Smith & Cross instead

1/2 ounce orange Curacao – Clement Creole Shrubb is a great substitute

1/4 ounce each orgeat syrup and sugar syrup.

Add at least 2 cups of crushed ice, then shake well for around 10 seconds. Pour unstrained into a double old-fashioned glass. Sink your spent lime shell in the drink (the classic Mai Tai garnish), and garnish with a mint sprig.

I have seen many rums used in creating a Mai Tai, including more than 2 at a time. Heck, half the fun is finding what works best for you!

Old Monk Rum is OK but like many rums it is probably a bit of a cocktail in a bottle with added coloring, sugar and perhaps other flavors (I have no definitive details). It has a strong caramel flavor to me. The rules for spirits in India are about as loose as they are in the Caribbean!

Thanks! Regan does provide the original recipe in his book, but adds his own recipe since the ingredients aren't available. I'll try your recipe when I pick up some more appropriate rums. Like I said, I'm quite new to the spirit so I don't currently have a lot of choices to play with.

I plan to try the Clement (if they have it in their spirits library). The Clement 10 year, El Dorado 12, and Mount Gay XO are at the top of my list to purchase. I hope to try the Duncan Taylor rums as well (if they'll available in their library). Is there anything that Party Source carries that you'd recommend more than those that I've chosen - for some neat sipping and (more frequently) cocktails? Cheers!

Thanks! Regan does provide the original recipe in his book, but adds his own recipe since the ingredients aren't available. I'll try your recipe when I pick up some more appropriate rums. Like I said, I'm quite new to the spirit so I don't currently have a lot of choices to play with.

I plan to try the Clement (if they have it in their spirits library). The Clement 10 year, El Dorado 12, and Mount Gay XO are at the top of my list to purchase. I hope to try the Duncan Taylor rums as well (if they'll available in their library). Is there anything that Party Source carries that you'd recommend more than those that I've chosen - for some neat sipping and (more frequently) cocktails? Cheers!

I have the three you noted and have a couple of the Duncan Taylor single barrels as well (1986 and 1991 vintages). I found the 1991 to be a bit disappointing. They also had a Mt Gay 12yo and a 12yo from Jamaica that I didn't try.

As to your sipping preference you have to build your own palate like whiskey I suppose and decide if you like drier versus sweeter rums. Appleton Extra 12yo is a good sipper and mixer. I think Lemon Hart 151 is a requirement for tiki drinks! Zaya is a nice drier 21yo sipping rum from Panama that can also be mixed as well. Some of the Plantation rums are niced and a bit sweeter since they are finished in Cognac casks. I think the Barbados is generally pretty good basic rum. Not sure which of these TPS has but probably most of them. Smith & cross is not one i would sip but it is a great mixing rum for a bit of funk and extra proof in a cocktail. Scarlet Ibis is also good in a similar way. Both were created with mixing in mind.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.