Rum Forum

Bmac
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Tiare at www.amountainofcrushedice.com speaks VERY highly of all of them. She just bought the recent limited Colonial one and I read her rave review of it.

I was tempted, but my budget is being pulled in too many directions right now, and I view Lost Spirits as a company who, while I have every belief can make a great product, will be around for a while. They're also kind of a pain in the butt for me to acquire in Texas - if I was in the West, I'd likely already have a bottle or two.

Tiare at www.amountainofcrushedice.com speaks VERY highly of all of them. She just bought the recent limited Colonial one and I read her rave review of it.

I was tempted, but my budget is being pulled in too many directions right now, and I view Lost Spirits as a company who, while I have every belief can make a great product, will be around for a while. They're also kind of a pain in the butt for me to acquire in Texas - if I was in the West, I'd likely already have a bottle or two.

I recently acquired the Polynesian rum to go with the Navy rum which I got earlier (and like) but I haven't had a chance to set sail for the South Pacific yet.

I recently acquired the Polynesian rum to go with the Navy rum which I got earlier (and like) but I haven't had a chance to set sail for the South Pacific yet.

You've got to get the Colonial, man! You know, since most of us live vicariously through your taste experiences! It's limited to 225 bottles, and the Lost Spirits guy says it's a breakthrough in how he makes things - It's $100, but that never fazed you before! :)

http://www.bountyhunterwine.com/product.asp?ic=1SLSDNVRU3BH

Here's the direct link to Tiare's review:

http://www.amountainofcrushedice.com/?p=20334

You've got to get the Colonial, man! You know, since most of us live vicariously through your taste experiences! It's limited to 225 bottles, and the Lost Spirits guy says it's a breakthrough in how he makes things - It's $100, but that never fazed you before! :)

http://www.bountyhunterwine.com/product.asp?ic=1SLSDNVRU3BH

Here's the direct link to Tiare's review:

http://www.amountainofcrushedice.com/?p=20334

Yeah, I saw the review. Seems a bit spendy considering the previous ones were in the $40 range. May have to reluctantly pass! Presumably he will do a larger run of similar rum in the future that is not quite so pricey.

Edited by tanstaafl2

Yeah, I saw the review. Seems a bit spendy considering the previous ones were in the $40 range. May have to reluctantly pass! Presumably he will do a larger run of similar rum in the future that is not quite so pricey.

I am thinking exactly the same things.

• 2 weeks later...
Any feedback here on the new series of rums from Lost Spirits? I have the Navy coming but am curious about the others.

Sorry I'm dredging up a couple week old topic, but the Lost Spirits Navy Rum is awesome! Very, very tasty- I think I need to buy another bottle or two.

Does anyone have any insight into the Samaroli bottlings of rum?

I have two- the Evolution 2011 and the Caribbean 2003. I recently found a store that has the Demerara, the Guadeloupe and a Panama. They're $160 bottles, so it's not something I'm really willing to just buy and gamble upon.

Sorry I'm dredging up a couple week old topic, but the Lost Spirits Navy Rum is awesome! Very, very tasty- I think I need to buy another bottle or two.

In the rum thread, no topic is too old, since we don't have nearly enough posts to begin with! Thanks for your feedback. I'm watching this company...and will get to it someday.

Had the pleasure of spending an evening with a couple of pours from an older bottle of Lemon Heart overproof Demerara. Judging by the tax strip and the fact it was a quart bottle I'm guessing it is from the 60's or possibly the 70's. Crazy good delicious Rum. It drank with all the body, complexity and structure of a good Bourbon. Impressive.

Found a bottle of the current version on line and it's on the way. I'm sure it won't be as good as the oldie but if it's only half as good it will one of the very best bottles in my collection. Also picked up a Plantation overproof Demerara thinking to compare them. I'll report back when they get here and have been tasted.

Edited by sailor22

Had the pleasure of spending an evening with a couple of pours from an older bottle of Lemon Heart overproof Demerara. Judging by the tax strip and the fact it was a quart bottle I'm guessing it is from the 60's or possibly the 70's. Crazy good delicious Rum. It drank with all the body, complexity and structure of a good Bourbon. Impressive.

Found a bottle of the current version on line and it's on the way. I'm sure it won't be as good as the oldie but if it's only half as good it will one of the very best bottles in my collection. Also picked up a Plantation overproof Demerara thinking to compare them. I'll report back when they get here and have been tasted.

Jeez, if you wanted to compare older (but not as old as the delicious sounding bottle you describe!) and newer label Lemon Heart overproof and the Plantation overproof (Not to mention Lost Spirits Navy proof) all you needed to do was ask! :cool:

Saw the Damoiseau Guadeloupe Rhum VSOP (and Blanc) on the shelf for the first time. Probably at most 4 years old and low 84 proof. Anybody have any experience with it to know if it is worth bothering with?

post-8493-14489821783647_thumb.jpg

The Damoiseau was in a tasting was in a recent tasting that featured a lot of agricoles. It was nothing special.

The Abuelo 12 was a tasty pour and the Abuelo Centuria looks interesting...anyone tried it? Bruce?

The Damoiseau was in a tasting was in a recent tasting that featured a lot of agricoles. It was nothing special.

The Abuelo 12 was a tasty pour and the Abuelo Centuria looks interesting...anyone tried it? Bruce?

For $100+ for an 80 proof Panamanian "solera" rum I am reluctant to gamble without trying it first. Just don't have much faith in the glorified pirates who run most rum distilleries! I think the price is about double where it should be. The 12 is a bit more realistic in price but I have not tried it. Yet.

Downing El Dorado 12 like it's going out of style. Can't wait to crack the ED15 this weekend.

My ED12 & ED15 were very different

Thx for your feedback - I ended getting some and it is a tasty pour but boy is it a BIG one... Little sips with lots of spit!

The Lemon Hart 151 arrived yesterday and what a let down. None of the sweet layered complexity balanced against molasses that the dusty version had, this one is all burnt molasses and has an unpleasant bitter finish. Nothing graceful and it shows it's proof way more than the dusty. This one is destined to be a mixer or perhaps a contribution to a large vatting.

The El Do 12 and 15 are not just the same Rum with a couple of extra years, they are different blends of the product of three different stills.

http://theeldoradorum.com/our-portfolio/luxury-cask-aged/12-year-old

The Lemon Hart 151 arrived yesterday and what a let down. None of the sweet layered complexity balanced against molasses that the dusty version had, this one is all burnt molasses and has an unpleasant bitter finish. Nothing graceful and it shows it's proof way more than the dusty. This one is destined to be a mixer or perhaps a contribution to a large vatting.

No surprise there unfortunately. The older label 151 is perhaps a little better but not significantly so. But something from 30 or more years ago seems likely to be far superior. It is currently primarily a tiki mixing rum for me where the proof and the bit of flavor it does have compared to most other overproof rums does work well.

The El Do 12 and 15 are not just the same Rum with a couple of extra years, they are different blends of the product of three different stills.

This chart help define some of the differences in the various El Dorado rums keeping in mind that El Dorado can and probably has changed up the formula from time to time. For example the El Dorado website indicates that the 12 does have Port Mourant rum in it in addition to the other two, despite what the chart notes.

This page gives you a little insight into some of the incredible and historic stills that they operate.

The extensive use of the heavy pot still rum in the 15 is what sets it apart for me and makes it my favorite.

Edited by tanstaafl2

That chart is really excellent. I didn't know that about the variations in the blend.

I'm quickly realizing that someday in the next few years I'm going to have to make the trip to Georgetown to pay my respects at Diamond.

Thanks for the review, Sailor. There is a video on youtube of two guys discussing how it's similar to the old version. Of course, one of them is Ed Hamilton, the importer lol. I prefer your objectivity.

Thanks for the review, Sailor. There is a video on youtube of two guys discussing how it's similar to the old version. Of course, one of them is Ed Hamilton, the importer lol. I prefer your objectivity.

I think it is important to note that the Lemon Hart 151 on each side of the transition to the new label a few years ago was not that much different. I have tried both SBS many times (including once at a dinner with Ed Hamilton) and several times in a blind SBS since I have both bottles. My preference is the old label but it is pretty close.

The bottle Steve is describing comes from a different universe that only existed several decades ago and would almost certainly blow the labels off both the new and the old label Lemon Hart that I have.

Thanks all for the input on the ED. I had gleaned from much earlier posts in this thread that the 12-year-old and 15-year-old were quite different, not just three years of additional aging. Suits me just fine and I can't wait to experience the difference. I absolutely love the ED 12 and find it to be a true bargain in the world of spirits. At this point, it would be hard to imagine not having a bottle in the house at all times, as many of my guests have no rum drinking experience and will be thrilled to discover just how good it can be.

The bottle Steve is describing comes from a different universe that only existed several decades ago and would almost certainly blow the labels off both the new and the old label Lemon Hart that I have.

Understood. Dark times for dark rums.

Anyone have any experience with the Blackadder bottles of straight from the barrel, unfiltered, barrel proof rums? Have found both St. Lucia and Fiji rum selections by them. Pricey, and would like to hear some impressions from others before I pull the trigger.

For that matter what sort of reputation do the Blackadder Scotch single barrel selections have with Scotch enthusiasts?

Recently tried some Berry Bros. and Cadenhead selections of Rum that were a little disappointing so I'm not convinced the Scotch guys automatically have the magic touch with Rum.

Having tried rums from Samaroli, Duincan Taylor and the Renegade rums from Bruichladdich I am inclined to agree that the fact that they are shipped off to Scotland and bottled unchill filtered and presumably have no added color or sugar does not guarantee a good quality result, especially given they are usually a good deal more expensive.

I have never tried a Blackadder rum and only tried one Blackadder scotch. It was fine but not something that was necessarily "special". I think their reputation for scotch is generally pretty good but others no doubt have more experience to offer. Like most anything you have to approach these rum bottlings with caution and recognize it may not live up to expectations. Reviews from others can be of mixed value but may be your only guidance to work with if you can't taste in advance which is typically not an option.

But I would be delighted if you want to take one for the team and let us know if it is worth the effort! :cool:

Anyone have any experience with the Blackadder bottles of straight from the barrel, unfiltered, barrel proof rums? Have found both St. Lucia and Fiji rum selections by them. Pricey, and would like to hear some impressions from others before I pull the trigger.

For that matter what sort of reputation do the Blackadder Scotch single barrel selections have with Scotch enthusiasts?

Recently tried some Berry Bros. and Cadenhead selections of Rum that were a little disappointing so I'm not convinced the Scotch guys automatically have the magic touch with Rum.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.