Rum Forum

Bmac
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Sometimes you work so hard looking for something special and unique you begin to overlook the easier to find products. The talk of El Dorado sent me scurrying to the bunker to find a bottle of ED 15 that I was pretty sure was still there. It's been about a year since I visited it but it was still a damn fine pour of Rum. So interesting that a small nudge from a master blender can morph the molasses into such a rich tobacco flavor. I'm not a smoker but I have to believe this would be one fine cigar Rum.

The balance between the tobacco, bitter molasses, dry wood and sweet is so well done.

Thx for your feedback - I ended getting some and it is a tasty pour but boy is it a BIG one... Little sips with lots of spit!

Yeah, that 136 proof has a strong kick that sort of creeps up on you.

Having tried rums from Samaroli, Duincan Taylor and the Renegade rums from Bruichladdich I am inclined to agree that the fact that they are shipped off to Scotland and bottled unchill filtered and presumably have no added color or sugar does not guarantee a good quality result, especially given they are usually a good deal more expensive.

I have never tried a Blackadder rum and only tried one Blackadder scotch. It was fine but not something that was necessarily "special". I think their reputation for scotch is generally pretty good but others no doubt have more experience to offer. Like most anything you have to approach these rum bottlings with caution and recognize it may not live up to expectations. Reviews from others can be of mixed value but may be your only guidance to work with if you can't taste in advance which is typically not an option.

But I would be delighted if you want to take one for the team and let us know if it is worth the effort! :cool:

Any tasting notes on Samaroli rums? Please? :grin:

I posted a few thoughts on them here. I really need to make time to get them out again and try them on their own. But I think that while they are interesting I still don't expect them to merit the relatively high cost they carry.

Thanks. I read your thread, love to hear your thoughts if you try them again as a standalone tasting.

Maybe I will hold off- Samaroli usually botlles great stuff. I like their Carribean 2003, but it's not that different from Havana Club 7.

When traveling to Antarctica in 2007, I was introduced to Havana Club Rum from Cuba by my traveling companion, who is a professional photographer and world traveler. All of this took place in Ushuia, Argentina, which is the jumping off point for Antarctica. We downed much Havana Club (white) during that trip, and also enjoyed a bottle (brown) my sister brought me from London a couple years ago. Every version I've tried was some seriously good stuff and I'm hoping that the decision to change diplomatic relations with Cuba may result in some of this coming to America. Bacardi trademarked "Havana Club" in the US a couple of years ago, so it would probably be under a different name. Anyone had Havana Club or have any opinions? (Note: there was no political talk in this post as I'm keeping my thoughts to myself regarding that subject and there is another forum for that here on SB).

When traveling to Antarctica in 2007, I was introduced to Havana Club Rum from Cuba by my traveling companion, who is a professional photographer and world traveler. All of this took place in Ushuia, Argentina, which is the jumping off point for Antarctica. We downed much Havana Club (white) during that trip, and also enjoyed a bottle (brown) my sister brought me from London a couple years ago. Every version I've tried was some seriously good stuff and I'm hoping that the decision to change diplomatic relations with Cuba may result in some of this coming to America. Bacardi trademarked "Havana Club" in the US a couple of years ago, so it would probably be under a different name. Anyone had Havana Club or have any opinions? (Note: there was no political talk in this post as I'm keeping my thoughts to myself regarding that subject and there is another forum for that here on SB).

I have the Havana Club Anejo Blanco and Anejo Reserva (1yo white rum and a 5yo or so version sold commonly in Duty free) in my liquor cabinet and tried pretty much everything but the ridiculously overpriced Maximo when I was there in 2013. I found the relatively inexpensive 7 Anos to be my favorite choice. Perhaps not as good the maestro or the 15yo Gran Reserva but plenty good enough as a daily sipper. We usually started shortly after breakfast during our tour...

post-8493-14489821834617_thumb.jpg

This was the duty free at the airport. Sadly I was not able to bring any back with me. The ones I have were brought in from other destinations.

JVD,

From what I have read on the recent changes in policy, while TRAVEL to Cuba is still restricted, what has changed is that Americans can now bring back to the US up to $100 in Cuban goods, including rum (provided you are willing to pay the duty on the liquor above your personal allowance, whatever that is these days, they never seem to charge it).

If you love HC so much, you're only 4h from the Canadian border, where HC is in every LCBO store I've ever been to. Since it is no longer illegal to import your first $100 of Cuban goods, there seems to be no reason you can't just go and get some from Canada.

Canada is an option, but I don't get there too often. I suppose I don't have to worry about ordering online anymore from Master of Malt or any other online overseas retailer.

Canada is an option, but I don't get there too often. I suppose I don't have to worry about ordering online anymore from Master of Malt or any other online overseas retailer.

Yes you still do have to worry about online ordering. You must physically accompany the bottles to get the Cuban $100 exemption, I believe.

I've made numerous purchases from overseas and never had a problem, however, I haven't tried to sneak in a Cuban rum yet.

I may be in the minority here, but IMO Havana Club 7 and Seleccion de Maestros are excellent, but I was very underwhelmed by the Gran Reserva 15.

I may be in the minority here, but IMO Havana Club 7 and Seleccion de Maestros are excellent, but I was very underwhelmed by the Gran Reserva 15.

I always heard good things about the Barrel Proof that the Maestros replaced but never tried it. The 7 is certainly the better value and quite good. I could be convinced that is as good or better than the 15yo. Just let me know when you are going to host that tasting! :cool:

• 1 month later...

This question may have been asked(and maybe even by me) but I'm too lazy to go back through the thread or my old posts....anyway what is the consensus on Appleton 21? At retail ($120ish)? What about on super(like 50% off) sale?

This question may have been asked(and maybe even by me) but I'm too lazy to go back through the thread or my old posts....anyway what is the consensus on Appleton 21? At retail ($120ish)? What about on super(like 50% off) sale?

Loved the 21 - only had 2 samples though. Not sure about the first price tag but the sale price is a buy now, taste, and think about how many for the bunker...

Found two of these fun bottles last weekend. Planter's Gold Pyrat XO Reserve. Apparently pre-Patron.. low 20k bottle number. I look forward to a special occasion to try it. Has anyone had this stuff? Thanks

post-6795-14489821938705_thumb.jpg

I cannot get Pusser's Naval Rum in my state, but I've wanted to try it for years. So, when I was in Austin visiting my son, I bought him a bottle and some high-end ginger beer. We had Dark and Stormy's. Very tasty, even though a little too sweet (the highballs, probably not the rum itself).

Tim

Hey Tim,

What you want is a European Pusser's, which clocks in at 109 proof. I think the US version is 92 proof or lower? They've changed it several times over here. It's a great item to have on your list when you travel to Europe for any reason.

I read somewhere that they were considering downproofing the US version again so that it could be allowed on US Navy bases, where the proof of liquor sold is restricted to 80, or something. Not very salty :)

Hey Tim,

What you want is a European Pusser's, which clocks in at 109 proof. I think the US version is 92 proof or lower? They've changed it several times over here. It's a great item to have on your list when you travel to Europe for any reason.

I read somewhere that they were considering downproofing the US version again so that it could be allowed on US Navy bases, where the proof of liquor sold is restricted to 80, or something. Not very salty :)

I am going to have to look into that next time I am near a base. Doesn't sound very pleasant to me but the services are getting increasingly strict about "social vices" after years of almost anything goes in the past.

But I would think it would really piss off the retirees if they can't get there favorite booze at the BX or PX anymore! :smiley_acbt:

Early bottles can be easily identified by the two colors of ribbon on the neck. Current release only has the one color of rough ribbon. Surprisingly the last few older bottles of these I have found were in the Tequila section as the older white boxes look very similar to the Parton boxes. Even the older juice is still pretty liquor like and has a "flavorings added" feel, although not to the extent of current.

Found two of these fun bottles last weekend. Planter's Gold Pyrat XO Reserve. Apparently pre-Patron.. low 20k bottle number. I look forward to a special occasion to try it. Has anyone had this stuff? Thanks

I cannot get Pusser's Naval Rum in my state, but I've wanted to try it for years. So, when I was in Austin visiting my son, I bought him a bottle and some high-end ginger beer. We had Dark and Stormy's. Very tasty, even though a little too sweet (the highballs, probably not the rum itself).

Tim

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.