Rum Forum

Bmac
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I thought you needed Gosling's Rum to make an authentic 'dark and stormy'?

Only according to Gosling's. The Dark 'n' Stormy (that is Gosling's official "legal" spelling) is under trademark to be made with only Gosling's rum. The drink originated in Bermuda where Gosling's rum is made but there is no evidence that Goslings's had anything to do with the creation of the drink itself. They simply trademarked the name and demand that one use Gosling's if you advertise a drink with that name.

Pusser's has a similar issue with the Painkiller cocktail which it trademarked even though there is even less connection between Pusser's and that cocktail. The cocktail long preceded Pusser's rum and the original cocktail was made with a blend of rums.

It is one of the reasons why I generally boycott Gosling's and Pusser's. I don't think any cocktail should be trademarked and certainly not one that the company did not clearly create themselves.

You make an interesting point.

Excited to have just scored an old bottle of Pusser's 95.5 navy proof. It will be interesting comparing to the 80 pf!

• 2 weeks later...
Found the Guatemalan Zaya the other day. A bit spendy but I have been searching for awhile. Any fans?

Hell yes. I have a one-third-left bottle that I visit occasionally. That stuff is like liquid candy.

Some that I've had:

Barcardi 151

Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum

Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum

Gosling's Black Seal

Appleton Estate V/X

Barcardi Oakheart

Captain Morgan Black Spiced Rum

Blackheart

Coral Bay

Some that I've had:

Barcardi 151

Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum

Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum

Gosling's Black Seal

Appleton Estate V/X

Barcardi Oakheart

Captain Morgan Black Spiced Rum

Blackheart

Coral Bay

Recommend you try:

Pusser's Blue Label

El Dorado 15

Mount Gay XO

Recommend you try:

Pusser's Blue Label

El Dorado 15

Mount Gay XO

Much appreciated, will see if those are carried around here.

My favorites out of the list would be:

Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum

Gosling's Black Seal

Appleton Estate V/X

First, I'm not normally a rum drinker, but I was picking up some Smooth Ambler Revelation Rum for a friend and decided to get myself a bottle. It's from Jamaica, 99 proof and labeled "the youngest rum in this batch laid down in 1990", so it's 25ish years old. I thought it was tasty but a bit sweet to me after 25 years of drinking bourbon. The bottle I have is batch 2, anybody else tried it?

Yup, I've tried it. It's an excellent rum. That sweetness is arrived by honestly, with no additives.

Yup, I've tried it. It's an excellent rum. That sweetness is arrived by honestly, with no additives.

Can't check the bottle now because I'm offshore, but I just re-scanned the COLA. You may be right, I might have my signals crossed.

It's the color you'd expect with a minimum of 20+ years aging, just a light amber. Doesn't look like an E150 case. As far as sugars go, this doesn't taste hyper-sweet. Just long time cooperage sweet. Like Richard Seale gets from his higher aged rums without additives. It's got a good Jamaican funk.

I'll email SA and confirm it. Good call.

Tried my first premium rum, El Dorado 12, excellent stuff! I definitely think there are better deals in spirits right now outside of scotch, bourbon and cognac.

Recommend you try:

Pusser's Blue Label

El Dorado 15

Mount Gay XO

Took a look at least one store I visit, no go there.

Took a look at least one store I visit, no go there.

Keep a' lookin'. If you can't find any by April, shoot me a pm.

Keep a' lookin'. If you can't find any by April, shoot me a pm.

Cool, thanks. Have not checked a couple of places on-line for me yet.

I don't think that link worked...

Found the XO, and 15 yr. old. Is this the Blue Label?Pusser's Dark Guyana Rum

I don't think that link worked...

not a link. Just the one they had, it did have a blue label.

not a link. Just the one they had, it did have a blue label.

Ah, then yes. There is only one blue label*

*In the US. In Europe they are at higher proofs, but it's still a good idea to learn the taste of it from the US version when you're in the US. That's how I started drinking it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.