Rum Forum

Bmac
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Excited to have just scored an old bottle of Pusser's 95.5 navy proof. It will be interesting comparing to the 80 pf!

Very nice quality, that 95.5 stuff. Not the most complex rum but solid and enjoyable every time I drink it. Enjoy!

Have been enjoying a bottle of Clement Select Barrel. A delightful agricole bottled at 40%. Dangerously easy to drink with no heat at all to speak of, just flavors. This one isn't overly sweet or overloaded with vanilla like so many are. Yet, there is a delicious sweet note at first sip that never entirely gives way to the interesting grassy botanical note that is so characteristic of agricoles. Not particularly complex but there is enough going on to qualify this as an easy sipper. Going to stock up on a few of these for summer. At $30 it's a bargain.

Ran across this flavor/characteristics wheel and thought it was one of the best of this sort of thing I had seen pertaining to Rum/Rhum/Ron. It might help clarify a few things for those just getting started.

post-4064-14489822113539_thumb.jpg

Ran across this flavor/characteristics wheel and thought it was one of the best of this sort of thing I had seen pertaining to Rum/Rhum/Ron. It might help clarify a few things for those just getting started.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20409[/ATTACH]

Very cool. Which I had that as a poster on my basement wall!

Out of curiosity how do you know this has no additives? Does it say so on the bottle or has this been reported by Smooth Ambler? If anyone is going to do it right then Smooth Ambler is a company I would be willing to give the benefit of the doubt to. But it is rum after all and the only certain rule with rum is that there are no rules.

Took me a while, but it's confirmed. Revelation Rum has no additives of any kind. Filtered loosely only to prevent barrel bits in the bottle. Good on 'em.

Took me a while, but it's confirmed. Revelation Rum has no additives of any kind. Filtered loosely only to prevent barrel bits in the bottle. Good on 'em.

Guess I will have to try a bottle and check it out. Pretty spendy at around $70 it would seem. Not much information out there that I can find in a cursory search. Hard to tell if it is 20+ years old or a blend of rums with some of it at 20+ years.

It is a blend of two rums, one 20yr old light column still, and one 25 light pot still Jamaican.

It is a blend of two rums, one 20yr old light column still, and one 25 light pot still Jamaican.

Thanks. Is that on the bottle or a review you found? Doesn't seem to be much detail on the Smooth Ambler website or else I am not finding it!

...from a conversation with Mr Little.

Ah! Seems like SA might want to promote what is in the bottle a bit more but maybe that is just me. I wouldn't be very likely to seek out a rum at $60 or so unless I knew it had something relatively unique about it and you don't get much from the very brief blurb on the website which is essentially repeated on the Party Source website.

I totally ignored the SA Revelation Rum when it came out. I've been hankering to try a naturally presented rum; might as well support SA.

You guys need to keep in mind that SA bought those barrels of Rum in the islands. They are sure that they didn't add anything after they received them. Before they were in house.........well, it's the Islands.

So, are we just being fussy old retrogrouches by insisting we want to taste some Rum with nothing added? Rum is all about fun right? At least that's what my emails from Mr. Burr keep reminding me, and Mr Hamilton gets downright testy when questioned about it.

So --- why do we care?

You guys need to keep in mind that SA bought those barrels of Rum in the islands. They are sure that they didn't add anything after they received them. Before they were in house.........well, it's the Islands.

So, are we just being fussy old retrogrouches by insisting we want to taste some Rum with nothing added? Rum is all about fun right? At least that's what my emails from Mr. Burr keep reminding me, and Mr Hamilton gets downright testy when questioned about it.

So --- why do we care?

Because Clement Single Cask is so damned good, that's why! And you get the credit (or blame!) for making me aware of it and spoiling rum for me forever!!!!!

:cool:

But your point is well taken, SA may not have doctored it but that doesn't mean it hasn't been doctored. As I noted, the only rule for rum is that there are no rules...

It matters to me because I am curious, having heard rumors that unmessed with rum (while nontraditional taking current standards into account) can be really good, and can taste very different from "normal" aged rum. Frankly, rum's traditional additivies have kept me away from it, like concentrated wood juice keeps me away from a lot of cognac. Is that fair? Probably not to myself, but it's a great excuse not to spend more money on brown spirits. So my curiosity to rum is currently specifically limited to trying the natural stuff.

Edit: you make a good point as to the SA Revelation Rum, though.

So --- why do we care?

I would suggest that asking what did or did not get added to our rum does is not necessarily akin to grouchiness, nor contrary to the fun of drinking/acquiring it.

After all, none of us here are rushing out to buy any Fireball or Piehole, either, are we? :)

There's certainly nothing wrong with enjoying a rum that has additives, so if I gave that impression, that's not necessarily what I think. I still like my El Dorados quite a lot! But rums without additives are more interesting, in the sense that I want to know what can be done with a flavor profile through sources, distillation, and cooperage.

Edited by The Black Tot

Having some Barcardi 151, with coke, ice cube, and listening to some Hendrix.

My local shop got 5 bottles of Smooth Ambler Revelation Rum Batch 2 in and was selling them at MSRP. There was one left when I showed up today, so I bought it. While it's not technically age stated, the bottle does have text that says "The youngest rum in this bottle was barreled in 1990." So that's nice I guess. At any rate, $70 for a 24+ year old rum bottled at 99 proof and potentially un messed with seems like a pretty solid deal to me. I'll probably crack this open tonight.

My local shop got 5 bottles of Smooth Ambler Revelation Rum Batch 2 in and was selling them at MSRP. There was one left when I showed up today, so I bought it. While it's not technically age stated, the bottle does have text that says "The youngest rum in this bottle was barreled in 1990." So that's nice I guess. At any rate, $70 for a 24+ year old rum bottled at 99 proof and potentially un messed with seems like a pretty solid deal to me. I'll probably crack this open tonight.

Cool, let us know what ya think.

Just opened Revelation Rum, Batch 2 (99 proof). Poured into a glencairn and sampled after 5 minutes, because it's been a long damn week and I need a drink.

Appearance: Normally I don't give a crap, but this is lighter than a lot of aged rums. Certainly lighter than the last bottle of El Dorado 15 I had . . . wonder why . . . I'd say 2nd or 3rd fill sherry in color. Maybe a fairly active bourbon cask scotch.

Nose: Coconut, bananas, and pineapple. Maybe a touch grainy smelling. A bit of tingly varnish/permanent marker smell, which I happen to like. Some butterscotch, maybe vanilla with a hint of cinnamon. Decent oak. While it's obviously rum, it smells a bit like a lowlander and a bit like the oaky elements of apple brandy.

Taste: Similar to the nose, but less sweet. Definitely has some oak elements in common with aged apple brandy here. The extra proof helps the mouthfeel quite a bit. While not quite as oily as some single malts, it's got some good presence. Finish is back to the pina colada mix with a pleasant bit of heat from the alcohol. Nice cinnamon red hots fading back into tropical fruits.

I could see myself drinking this regularly, especially as a change up from bourbon and scotch. It's not as complex as a lot of single malts, but it is very easy drinking and has a nice range of smells and flavors that I happen to like quite a bit. This is much less sweet than the aged rums I have tried, and I like that A LOT. I think I'll pour another and let it sit for half an hour or so, see what happens. Really pleased with my purchase. Glad I poked in on this thread. Looks like I have another brown spirit to add into my change up rotation.

Edited by garbanzobean

Anyone else from this board heading down to Miami for the Rum Fest?

http://www.rumrenaissance.com/

Would love to but have a work trip at that same time. If you are going let us know if there is anything of note!

• 2 weeks later...

Agh, would love to make it, but I'm already making the sampler... I don't think I can swing it. Spending myself out on rums lately :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.