Rum Forum

Bmac
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

There is a pot still agricole being produced in Georgia that is worth a look. Richland Rum in Richland Ga. is gaining a reputation as a go to whiskey drinkers Rum. Haven't made the road trip yet but will very soon.

There is a pot still agricole being produced in Georgia that is worth a look. Richland Rum in Richland Ga. is gaining a reputation as a go to whiskey drinkers Rum. Haven't made the road trip yet but will very soon.

Pretty easy to find locally. I think it is good but it is about as expensive as the rhum from Martinique! Still, I am probably overdue to refresh my memory of this rum.

Thanks all, haven't bought any rum in years so I think I'll branch out and test the waters.

Thanks all, haven't bought any rum in years so I think I'll branch out and test the waters.

Their is a rum distillery very close to where I live called Bayou Rum, and I have to say they are putting out some good rum. They are using sugarcane grown here in south Louisiana.

Picked up a bottle of Ron Zacapa 23 and have had a few pours over ice this afternoon. Just too sweet and not enough burn for me to enjoy.

Picked up a bottle of Ron Zacapa 23 and have had a few pours over ice this afternoon. Just too sweet and not enough burn for me to enjoy.

It's not quite straight rum, but I picked up a bottle of Bundaberg Rum Banana and Toffee Liquor at the distillery on the weekend. It's cloyingly sweet, but very addictive. The banana candy flavor hits the palate up front, followed by the toffee hit which fades out to a nice run finish. Even my wife likes this one. :)

It is pretty much for people who are looking to get a buzz but don't think Coca Cola already has enough sugar in it... :cool:

So it's a rum version of Southern Comfort. I'm going to pass it off one my "JD with coke" drinking friends.

So it's a rum version of Southern Comfort. I'm going to pass it off one my "JD with coke" drinking friends.

It is not quite sunk to that level. At least not yet!

It is a "solera" rum so it is a blend of rums with probably very little 23yo rum in the mix and it clearly has a lot of sugar added. In my opinion it changed in profile some when Diageo took control of it (shocking I know...). I don't think it is as well integrated they way some other fairly sugar forward rums are like El Dorado 12 and 15 or its former sibling Zaya which now comes from Trinidad.

For a drier more whiskey like rum you might want to consider Mt. Gay Extra Old which is about the same price, maybe a bit less, and pretty good.

Edited by tanstaafl2

You guys are bumming my head out about the Zacapa 23, as I've had an unopened bottle in the cabinet since last year and was waiting for a special occasion to open it. That special occasion may now be the next time we clean the toilets.[emoji3]

I just spit out a mouth full of coffee unclebunk! That was way too funny.

Ok tans, I'm on a mission, Mt Gay Extra Old it is.

You know the Zacapa 23 might be great on pancakes and waffles.

I just spit out a mouth full of coffee unclebunk! That was way too funny.

Ok tans, I'm on a mission, Mt Gay Extra Old it is.

You know the Zacapa 23 might be great on pancakes and waffles.

My wife says I make her suddenly spit out coffee from time to time but only when she unexpectedly sees me naked![emoji50]

My "gateway" rums (and the most bourbon-like ones of the many I've purchased) were Mt. Gay XO and Appleton Estate 12 YO, neither of which I find too sweet, though you may want to sample them before dropping cash on an entire bottle. I do happen to love El Dorado 12 which is on the sweet side but delicious just the same. Cheers!

My wife says I make her suddenly spit out coffee from time to time but only when she unexpectedly sees me naked![emoji50]

My "gateway" rums (and the most bourbon-like ones of the many I've purchased) were Mt. Gay XO and Appleton Estate 12 YO, neither of which I find too sweet, though you may want to sample them before dropping cash on an entire bottle. I do happen to love El Dorado 12 which is on the sweet side but delicious just the same. Cheers!

Heck, I sometimes do a spit take when I see myself naked! Not a pretty site... :bigeyes:

I do like the Appleton 12 but for whatever reason I tend to like it more as a mixer (a bit of the Jamaican funk I suppose) and find the Mt Gay XO to be a bit more enjoyable on its own.

Sippin on some Mt Gay XO right now and I must admit it is rather tasty, a great change of pace from bourbon/rye.

thanks for the tip tans!

Is Bacardi 8 Anos any good??
Within the Bacardi line it is decent for a reasonably affordable price as I recall. But the bar with Bacardi isn't particularly high!

Picked up a Clement Select Barrel 3yo Rhum Agricole so will need to do another blind tasting soon against the Richland Rum we tried a couple of weeks ago!

I received various rum samples a couple of weeks ago and quickly realized that many rums don't taste like el dorado 12, which I really enjoy. Are there certain brands that are similar to El Dorado or does el dorado have its special taste that I can't find anywhere else?

I received various rum samples a couple of weeks ago and quickly realized that many rums don't taste like el dorado 12, which I really enjoy. Are there certain brands that are similar to El Dorado or does el dorado have its special taste that I can't find anywhere else?

El Dorado rums are pretty unusual because they blend their rums using distillate from multiple stills including at least 4 very different ancient stills including perhaps the last large industrial size wooden pot stills in the world. They also scrape the barrels they use to increase wood contact I believe and do a fair amount of barrel management. Of course they also add a lot of sugar (which they apparently still claim is not so but it is pretty well accepted that they do). I don't personally mind if it is reasonably well balanced which I find to be the case with ED although I would prefer they just be honest about it.

http://thefloatingrumshack.com/main/index.php?option=com_content&id=307:ddl-wooden-stills&Itemid=5

http://demeraradistillers.com/our-heritage/the-stills

Even better, the rums, including the excellent 12, 15 and 21yo are not just the same distillate at different ages but rather different recipes of rum blended from the various stills.

I thought this series of articles from SB member David Driscoll at K&L Wines was pretty interesting as well. It has several "chapters".

http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/klwinescom-spirits-blog/2014/2/20/guyana-day-1-into-the-night-awaken-anew.html

attachment.php?attachmentid=21241&stc=1

So their profile is pretty unusual! One of these days I am going to need to go see for myself...

post-8493-14489822606548_thumb.jpg

El Dorado rums are pretty unusual because they blend their rums using distillate from multiple stills including at least 4 very different ancient stills including perhaps the last large industrial size wooden pot stills in the world. They also scrape the barrels they use to increase wood contact I believe and do a fair amount of barrel management. Of course they also add a lot of sugar (which they apparently still claim is not so but it is pretty well accepted that they do). I don't personally mind if it is reasonably well balanced which I find to be the case with ED although I would prefer they just be honest about it.

http://thefloatingrumshack.com/main/index.php?option=com_content&id=307:ddl-wooden-stills&Itemid=5

http://demeraradistillers.com/our-heritage/the-stills

Even better, the rums, including the excellent 12, 15 and 21yo are not just the same distillate at different ages but rather different recipes of rum blended from the various stills.

I thought this series of articles from SB member David Driscoll at K&L Wines was pretty interesting as well. It has several "chapters".

http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/klwinescom-spirits-blog/2014/2/20/guyana-day-1-into-the-night-awaken-anew.html

attachment.php?attachmentid=21241&stc=1

So their profile is pretty unusual! One of these days I am going to need to go see for myself...

Drank multiple Dark 'N Stormys last night using Flor de Cana 7 and Gosling Ginger Beer with a splash of Angostura bitters. Fantastic on a hot and humid evening. I wasn't terribly impressed with the FdC 7 as a sipper, so this was a perfect way to kill off the bottle.

Drank multiple Dark 'N Stormys last night using Flor de Cana 7 and Gosling Ginger Beer with a splash of Angostura bitters. Fantastic on a hot and humid evening. I wasn't terribly impressed with the FdC 7 as a sipper, so this was a perfect way to kill off the bottle.

I was introduced to these Dark-N-Stormies by my BIL up in NJ last month. They are quite tasty. He made them with Gosling's ginger beer and rum. I feel like he added a splash of something else as well, maybe lime juice. I forget already...

Edited by dcbt

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.