Rum Forum

Bmac
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

LOVE the Plantation Pineapple rum, and a big fan of Richland Rum, too. I don't turn to rum that often, but I'm usually happy when I do. (tasting notes on the Plantation rum at http://www.thirstysouth.com/2015/07/24/plantation-stiggins-fancy-pineapple-rum/)

Nice review. I too find it quite unique and refreshing. It is not like a pineapple flavoured spirit but if pineapple is not your thing then be forewarned, you will know pineapple is in there!

Picked up some Mount Gay XO Reserve Cask Rum and the Pusser's Rum (Blue Label).

Based on recommendation's here, I picked up the Pusser's 15 Year, and the Pumpkin Face 23 year.

The Pumpkin Face has a nice sweetness to it up front, but it fades so fast for me, I find it hard to pick out many flavor notes. Not a bad sipper at all though.

The Pusser's has that "Whiskey-ness" about it that I find so appealing about the Balcones Texas Rum.

Next week, I'll be picking up a bottle of the Smooth Ambler Revelation Rum.

(and down the rabbit hole we go...)

Based on recommendation's here, I picked up the Pusser's 15 Year, and the Pumpkin Face 23 year.

The Pumpkin Face has a nice sweetness to it up front, but it fades so fast for me, I find it hard to pick out many flavor notes. Not a bad sipper at all though.

The Pusser's has that "Whiskey-ness" about it that I find so appealing about the Balcones Texas Rum.

Can't find Pussers 15 or the SARR around here for some reason. Bummer! Let us know what you think of them.

The Dark 'n Stormy (with that specific spelling) is a drink that Gosling's has trademarked and claims proprietary control over it which is why I tend to make a "Dark and Stormy" and use no Gosling's products at all. No cocktail should be trademarked in my opinion (The Painkiller is another in that category) . . .

I do make D&S's at home with Gosling's as my wife is anal retentive and HATES it when go off a recipe. However, depending on my mood, I'll use other dark rums (an elder Barbancourt works well) or a even a rhum agricole. For ginger beer, Fentiman's or Crabbies works for me although Reed's is fine if I can't find the others. But unless asked, I don't tell her what's in them. I just soak up the oooohs and aaaahs.

Wanted to make a Dark 'N Stormy yesterday, but had no Ginger Beer. All I had was a bottle of Canada Dry Ginger Ale (which I find to have very little Ginger about it). Added a good splash of AITA Snap, which got the job done. Not bad at all.

Be sure to give the glass a nose the morning after.

Had a pour of this last night and the residual aroma was heavenly this morning nosing as the coffee brewed.

Gives a little insight into its soul.

B

Be sure to give the glass a nose the morning after.

Had a pour of this last night and the residual aroma was heavenly this morning nosing as the coffee brewed.

Gives a little insight into its soul.

B

I just signed up for the tour of the distillery in South Louisiana where Bayou Rum is made. I must admit that I am not much of a rum person, but I have been wanting to see this place for a while. Ill take some pics if they let me. What is the general consensus on the Bayou rum? Any questions I should ask while I am there?

I just signed up for the tour of the distillery in South Louisiana where Bayou Rum is made. I must admit that I am not much of a rum person, but I have been wanting to see this place for a while. Ill take some pics if they let me. What is the general consensus on the Bayou rum? Any questions I should ask while I am there?

Don't know much about them but would be interesting to note what their base is (probably molasses) and where they get it. Presumably they make their own rum but interesting to know how it is made (pot vs column still vs hybrid or combination) and if they age what size barrels they use an if they are used or new. General things like that. Would be odd if they didn't allow pictures and somewhat suspicious to me!

Really neat place. Here's what I found out.

• They make 4 different rums - silver, spiced, select, and satsuma.
  • 30k cases combined annually; Satsuma most popular at this point
  • Jim beam and bt barrels for their select rum. Aged 3 years using Solera method. They have 620 barrels total currently.
  • Distilled in one of two Pot stills
  • Molasses and sugar from Patouville, LA. Supposedly, captain Morgan and Bacardi separate the sugar and the molasses and get rid of the sugar. Bayou rum mixes the cane sugar back in and pasteurizes it to remove the yeast from the sugar.

At the tasting at the end, they only let you sample two. I chose the select and the satsuma. The select was awesome. It had three distinct flavors, the first and last were definitely bourbony with a rum in the middle. I loved it. Kind of like a bourbon/rum/bourbon Oreo cookie.

The he satsuma was very citrusy. At 60 proof, it was categorized as a liquour. Very punchy and mild. Tasted like girls would love it or that it would be great in a citrusy desert of some kind.

They have 6 new tanks outside that are awaiting installation and are about to put on double the bottling staff that they currently employ. They are in 9 states and are hoping to be in 15 by the end of the year.

Fwiw, their bottles are some of the coolest bottles on any shelf. I bought a bottle of the select, and I can see this becoming a staple in my bar.

Edited by jbutler

A few more pics from the Bayou Rum Tour in Lacassine, LA. The barrels in the picture are only a small % of what they had on hand. Most were Jim Beam. There was a whole other warehouse filled with barrels. I didn't get the story on the owners of the place, but somebody has spent a TON at this place. Everything is brand new and appeared to be state of the art. The gift shop itself was awesome, not to mention the bar and the presentation room.

attachment.php?attachmentid=21325&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=21326&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=21327&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=21328&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=21329&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=21330&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=21331&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=21332&stc=1

post-12724-14489822639527_thumb.jpeg

post-12724-14489822640137_thumb.jpeg

post-12724-14489822667529_thumb.jpeg

post-12724-14489822668186_thumb.jpeg

post-12724-14489822668776_thumb.jpeg

post-12724-14489822669368_thumb.jpeg

post-12724-14489822670001_thumb.jpeg

post-12724-14489822670597_thumb.jpeg

Looks nice! Need to find my way down south at some point to sample some of the rums down there. Some good friends visit New Orleans at least once a year and have begged my wife and I to go. This should help convince my wife that we'll have a good time.

Ti' Punch tonight. Picked up a new to bottle of Dillon Rhum the other day. Sucker for blanc agricoles.

Warm night, icy glass, perfection.

B

Looks nice! Need to find my way down south at some point to sample some of the rums down there. Some good friends visit New Orleans at least once a year and have begged my wife and I to go. This should help convince my wife that we'll have a good time.

There is also a distillery that makes rum, vodka, whiskey, etc in Thobodaux, la. Much closer to NO than the Bayou Rum distillery.

Still working this. $22 for a liter of 55% agricole goodness. Plenty of ice, a heavy slice of lime, and a bit of simple syrup is heat beater.

86be4e6aec4a0b163487ff7939a5f3b6.jpg

B

I browsed the possibilities in the Alabama ABC store yesterday, and chose a bottle of Flor de Cana. I'm not sure what I think of it yet, but it seems to have won many awards. I seemed to detect a harsh alcohol overtone in a daquiri (I bought it mainly for my wife to make highballs). I will try it neat, next time.

Tim

I browsed the possibilities in the Alabama ABC store yesterday, and chose a bottle of Flor de Cana. I'm not sure what I think of it yet, but it seems to have won many awards. I seemed to detect a harsh alcohol overtone in a daquiri (I bought it mainly for my wife to make highballs). I will try it neat, next time.

Tim

I find the basic 4yo "gold" and 4yo extra dry (a white filtered rum) to be decent for cocktails. I think the white "Extra Dry" might help reduce the harsh alcohol overtones because of the filtering. Neither are really a sipper to me.

As a sipper I have to get to the gran reserve or centenario range to find those truly enjoyable and their are others (Mount Gay, Appleton, El Dorado) that I like better.

Tim

After reading many online reviews and comments here on this thread, I purchased the Flor de Cana 7 last year but, to be honest, I was disappointed in it as a sipper. It eventually went down the hatch during a long day of Dark 'N Stormies. My expectations were much higher then for the 12-year-old which I also found to be a bit thin and lackluster. To my taste buds, Ron Abuelo 7 and 12 mopped the floor with both, though your mileage may vary.

Posted the other day in the "What Bourbon did you purchase..." thread about picking up a bottle of Papa's Pilar Dark Rum the other day.

Tried it out soon after:

The nose led me to expect loads of molasses, and for the first split-second of the sip, molasses seemed to be there, but it immediately disappeared behind some spice with a hint of heat.

On the finish though, the molasses returned strong.

A pretty decent rum, though it did seem a little flat. It would have been a much better purchase at the $25 I saw it for on Saturday, than the $39 I paid on Thursday.

Did a little late birthday shopping on Saturday-

There was a Rum tasting/sale going on so ended up with:

2 X Smooth Ambler Revelation

My fifth bottle of Balcones Texas Rum

Mount Gay XO (at $24)

Mount Gay Black Barrel (at $19)

Blue Chair Bay Banana Rum Cream (this was for wife)

along with a bottle of Slaughterhouse, and a second 1792 Sweet Wheat.

Posted the other day in the "What Bourbon did you purchase..." thread about picking up a bottle of Papa's Pilar Dark Rum the other day.

Tried it out soon after:

The nose led me to expect loads of molasses, and for the first split-second of the sip, molasses seemed to be there, but it immediately disappeared behind some spice with a hint of heat.

On the finish though, the molasses returned strong.

A pretty decent rum, though it did seem a little flat. It would have been a much better purchase at the $25 I saw it for on Saturday, than the $39 I paid on Thursday.

Thanks. I also found it pleasant enough if somewhat sweet and one dimensional when I tried it last year during a Wednesday tasting. I

do kind of like the "canteen" bottle though... :cool:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.