Rum Forum

Bmac
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I browsed the possibilities in the Alabama ABC store yesterday, and chose a bottle of Flor de Cana. I'm not sure what I think of it yet, but it seems to have won many awards. I seemed to detect a harsh alcohol overtone in a daquiri (I bought it mainly for my wife to make highballs). I will try it neat, next time.

Tim

Thanks for your replies, tanstaffl2 and UncleBunk. Mine is labeled as "Slow Aged 5" and is an amber rum. I did try it straight and, as I originally thought, it has a distinct harsh ethanol taste, much like run of the mill vodka. Also, it does not have much of the distinct "rum" flavor that I am used to in rums such as Mount Gay, Appleton, etc. I will definitely not be buying it, again.

Tim

Thanks. I also found it pleasant enough if somewhat sweet and one dimensional when I tried it last year during a Wednesday tasting. I

do kind of like the "canteen" bottle though... :cool:

Did a little late birthday shopping on Saturday-

There was a Rum tasting/sale going on so ended up with:

2 X Smooth Ambler Revelation

My fifth bottle of Balcones Texas Rum

Mount Gay XO (at $24)

Mount Gay Black Barrel (at $19)

Blue Chair Bay Banana Rum Cream (this was for wife)

along with a bottle of Slaughterhouse, and a second 1792 Sweet Wheat.

Once and for all I've got to get my hands on some SA Revelation and Balcones Texas Rum. And Mount Gay XO for $24? Fabulous deal!

Yeah, the bottle is pretty cool, as are the Pumpkinhead bottles.

Pumpkinhead? I know there is a beer called that. Do you mean Pumpkin Face rum?

Oops, yes I did mean Pumpkin Face

Whoa, local store just got a couple bottles of El Dorado 25 year rum. Nearly $500 a bottle? I wouldn't have thought that rum could command price points like that. Impressive.

(And no, I did not get a bottle. Would be interesting to taste though!

ED25 gives the "look at how much I can spend" crowd a wonderful distraction so that we can still buy the great sipping rums we love relatively unmolested.

I will always be grateful to ED25 (as well as the other ultra premiums like Diplomatico Ambassador and the high number Brugals, etc) for this.

Whoa, local store just got a couple bottles of El Dorado 25 year rum. Nearly $500 a bottle? I wouldn't have thought that rum could command price points like that. Impressive.

(And no, I did not get a bottle. Would be interesting to taste though!

I had the chance to taste it thanks to the generosity of a fellow SBer that had one. Remarkably sweet like a liquid candy and very interesting but as much as I would like to have one they are way too expensive for me. as well I can do just fine with the 12, 15 and the 21 which I can still find for less the $100.

The 25 tends to be pretty rare in the US (or anywhere I suppose) but the last time I saw them they were more like $350 I think. As Paul notes if it helps distract others from the basic line and the price of those stays as reasonable as it is then I can live without one.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally, getting to try this one: Pusser's Rum (Blue Label). Not bad, but I like Gosling's Black Seal and Appleton Estate V/X much better.

Digging my bottle of Kirk&Sweeney 23yr.

Not a expert, but liking that it is not a sugar bomb like some, doesn't seem like it has any other added flavoring a also. A bit dry, little woody, completely drinkable.

B

Digging my bottle of Kirk&Sweeney 23yr.

Not a expert, but liking that it is not a sugar bomb like some, doesn't seem like it has any other added flavoring a also. A bit dry, little woody, completely drinkable.

B

Have you had a chance to try the 2 younger versions of the K&S? When we did a SBS back in July I was surprised at how I preferred the 12 to the older two. All clearly from the same family to me but as it got older it seemed a bit muted by extra time in the barrel. Because it is a single rum that is simply getting older (or at least appears to be) and doesn't have the variety of distillates to mix together it did not have the unique profiles of the various El Dorado rums.

And also, finally getting into this one: Mount Gay XO Reserve Cask Rum. I like this one, a little thin, but very tasty. Like the cherry notes, sweetness.

Have you had a chance to try the 2 younger versions of the K&S? When we did a SBS back in July I was surprised at how I preferred the 12 to the older two. All clearly from the same family to me but as it got older it seemed a bit muted by extra time in the barrel. Because it is a single rum that is simply getting older (or at least appears to be) and doesn't have the variety of distillates to mix together it did not have the unique profiles of the various El Dorado rums.

Not yet. The 12yr is next on my list. The 18 will have to wait until the next trip back to Binny's.

The muted comment seems spot on. It does have a dulled sense to it, not surprising due to the age. Still quick enjoyable.

B

After dinner at a friend's house on Sunday . . . he says, "Well, I don't have any bourbon . . . would you like to try some rum?" He pulled out an unopened Pyrat Cask 1623 and we proceeded to imbibe. My first impression was of a well made liqueur . . . sweet-orange and curiously complex for 'rum'. It was most enjoyable, but I will not be buying any at the going rate of $200+. Thanks J, and cheers!

From the following list, pick 5 that you would recommend highly. Also, name 2 that are not on the list that would make your top 5 recommended list if they were mentioned. If you want to keep playing, name a few on the list that you wouldn't recommend at all.

El Dorado 12, 15, 21, 25

Mount Gay XO

RZ 23 (solera) & XO

Appleton 12 year

Bacardi 8

Doorly XO

Cruzan Black Strap

Balcones TX Rum

Smooth Ambler Revelation

Dictador XO Insolent

RL Seale's 10 year

Ron Barrilito 3 Star

Barbancourt 15

Clement VSOP

Ron Matusalem 18

Plantation XO 20th Anniversary

Pusser's 15 year

Ron Millonario XO

Flor de Cana 12

Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva

Diplomatico Single VTG 2000

Havana Club 7 or Maestros

Four on the list are not like the others.

Appleton, Mount Gay, Doorly and RL Seale do not have added sugar or additives

El Dorado 15

Barbancourt 15

Ron Matusalem 18

Pusser's 15 year

Two Additional:Vizcaya VXOP Cask 21

Gosling’s Black Seal

The only one's I've tried on your list:

Appleton (Very Good)

Mount Gay (Very Good)

Still looking for the El Dorado's.

From the following list, pick 5 that you would recommend highly. Also, name 2 that are not on the list that would make your top 5 recommended list if they were mentioned. If you want to keep playing, name a few on the list that you wouldn't recommend at all.

El Dorado 12, 15, 21, 25

Mount Gay XO

RZ 23 (solera) & XO

Appleton 12 year

Bacardi 8

Doorly XO

Cruzan Black Strap

Balcones TX Rum

Smooth Ambler Revelation

Dictador XO Insolent

RL Seale's 10 year

Ron Barrilito 3 Star

Barbancourt 15

Clement VSOP

Ron Matusalem 18

Plantation XO 20th Anniversary

Pusser's 15 year

Ron Millonario XO

Flor de Cana 12

Diplomatico Single VTG 2000

Havana Club 7 or Maestros

Depends a little bit on how you want to use them. Rhum Agricole for example is mandatory in a Mai Tai (and other tiki drinks) for me and only Clement and Barbancourt fit that list. I would probably use the 8yo Barbancourt over the 15 in that application but prefer the Martinique agricoles like Clement if I have a choice.

In addition to the four noted for being free of added sugar Clement and Barbancourt (or so they claim) also do not use added sugar but as agricoles they are going to be even more distinct from the 3 Barbados rums. I am not as sure that the Appleton is free of added sugar.

I have about 17 of these already but the Dictador XO is one that I do not have and does not interest me at all. A completely made up background with slick packaging and mystery rum from Colombia inside. Having tried Maestros in Cuba I did not find it to be worth the premium (The barrel proof that the Maestros replaced was better!) and find the 7 anos to be perfectly serviceable as a Cuban rum. Not particularly noteworthy but pleasant enough for those who can get it. But I think generally Cuban rums, like Cuban cigars, are more about reputation than the product itself and are not something I would go out of my way to get more of.

Anyone tried Lost Spirits Navy Style Rum?

Loathe as I am to try anything suggested by a Caskers email, it sounds interesting.

Anyone tried Lost Spirits Navy Style Rum?

Loathe as I am to try anything suggested by a Caskers email, it sounds interesting.

I have it. I think it cost me about $45 from K&L. Nice overproof rum with fairly dense raison-y sweetness but a bit of funk to balance it like you find in Smith & Cross. Pretty drinkable at proof and a good tiki alternative.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?21599-Wednesday-Tastings!&p=415087&viewfull=1#post415087

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.