Rum Forum

Bmac
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

K&L just posted that they'll be releasing a Foursquare special edition tonight sometime: http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/klwinescom-spirits-blog/2017/12/7/december-rumblings.html. No idea what it could be, anyone else have an idea?

They also state they're getting two cask-strength Golden Devil Casks (a 19yo Bellevue and a 25yo Enmore) as well as a dark overproof blend next week. The Bellevue looks like it'll be $100 and the Enmore will be $200, which are very fair prices based on the basic specs.

Fun rum times to come!

12 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

K&L just posted that they'll be releasing a Foursquare special edition tonight sometime: http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/klwinescom-spirits-blog/2017/12/7/december-rumblings.html. No idea what it could be, anyone else have an idea?

They also state they're getting two cask-strength Golden Devil Casks (a 19yo Bellevue and a 25yo Enmore) as well as a dark overproof blend next week. The Bellevue looks like it'll be $100 and the Enmore will be $200, which are very fair prices based on the basic specs.

Fun rum times to come!

I would imagine it would need a TTB filing unless it was just a bottling of a standard release?  Maybe an early look at 2005?  Noticed this in Smuggler's Cove Social Media feed 

44 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

I would imagine it would need a TTB filing unless it was just a bottling of a standard release?  Maybe an early look at 2005?  Noticed this in Smuggler's Cove Social Media feed 

Searching the TTB filings is a great idea. I took a look and the only thing of interest I could find is this Real McCoy 10yo limited edition that I've never seen before. It's a contender: https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=17227001000542

An early release of the 2005 would be fantastic, although I don't know if they've even received label approval for that yet. I didn't see anything submitted over the last year.

5 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

Searching the TTB filings is a great idea. I took a look and the only thing of interest I could find is this Real McCoy 10yo limited edition that I've never seen before. It's a contender: https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=17227001000542

An early release of the 2005 would be fantastic, although I don't know if they've even received label approval for that yet. I didn't see anything submitted over the last year.

Wonder how many and what the preparation was on the Virgin Oak casks there, Toasted, Charred, both....

Also, I would bet dollars to donuts based on the timing it is that 12 year 92 proof Real McCoy in from Smuggler's Cove Facebook post on 11/30. 

Also, I would bet dollars to donuts based on the timing it is that 12 year 92 proof Real McCoy in from Smuggler's Cove Facebook post on 11/30. 

Yeah you’re probably right. I didn’t initially see where it said “private bottling launch”.

I can’t quite read the fine print on the label. Does it say “ages in heavy char American oak bourbon barrels”?

51 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

Yeah you’re probably right. I didn’t initially see where it said “private bottling launch”.

I can’t quite read the fine print on the label. Does it say “ages in heavy char American oak bourbon barrels”?

That is what it says, so looks to be exclusively Bourbon Barrel aged here.

18 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

That is what it says, so looks to be exclusively Bourbon Barrel aged here.

Finally found the TTB application: https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=17039001000571. I saw it in my initial search but disregarded it for some forgotten reason.

Anyways, nice social media research there Kevin! If I wasn't already going to a rum tasting tonight I'd probably try to go to the launch party. I'll definitely try to snag a bottle from K&L though if I can remember to check their website tonight.

So basically first fill Bourbon barrels for 12 years but cut to 92 proof at bottling. I presume they picked the barrel they wanted so I am sure it will be good but I think I might be good for now with the 2004 and Criterion, both at cask strength.

Might save my pennies and try to get the upcoming Golden Devil cask strength bottles.

Edited by tanstaafl2

4 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

So basically first fill Bourbon barrels for 12 years but cut to 92 proof at bottling. I presume they picked the barrel they wanted so I am sure it will be good but I think I might be good for now with the 2004 and Criterion, both at cask strength.

Might save my pennies and try to get the upcoming Golden Devil cask strength bottles.

Fair points. And now that I'm reading the label again, I'm not convinced it's a single cask bottling. I think it's a blend of a few casks (not that that's bad necessarily).

The label states: "A traditional Barbados rum small batch crafted with a unique balance of copper column & pot stills. Blended with spring water & genuinely single-cask aged in heavy char American oak bourbon barrels"

And the Smuggler's Cove FB page says this about it: "The story can now be told! REAL McCoy has crafted a special selected version of their 12 year old rum bottled at a higher proof...EXCLUSIVELY FOR SMUGGLER'S COVE!"

7 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

Fair points. And now that I'm reading the label again, I'm not convinced it's a single cask bottling. I think it's a blend of a few casks (not that that's bad necessarily).

The label states: "A traditional Barbados rum small batch crafted with a unique balance of copper column & pot stills. Blended with spring water & genuinely single-cask aged in heavy char American oak bourbon barrels"

And the Smuggler's Cove FB page says this about it: "The story can now be told! REAL McCoy has crafted a special selected version of their 12 year old rum bottled at a higher proof...EXCLUSIVELY FOR SMUGGLER'S COVE!"

Yeah, kind of sounds like some slightly older 2004 that fell into a swimming pool...

I do look forward to finding this years 10 yr Real McCoy LE though, interested to see the impact of the Virgin Oak Casks.  Last years LE was pretty great.

• I like it 1

I came here hoping for some info on what K&L will be putting on sale and you guys did not disappoint! I’m excited about this, I foolishly passed on the Real McCoy LE when I had a chance to but it and never saw it again. I’ll be glad to try a RC bottling at higher than 80 proof. 

I've seen a few mentions of the SA revelation release. Wondering if anyone wants to get a little in depth about it? I could get one or two at 55 each and am wondering if it's an easy yes or not worth it? Sorta feels like Orphan barrel Rum (not necessarily and indictment).

58 minutes ago, jshleffar said:

I've seen a few mentions of the SA revelation release. Wondering if anyone wants to get a little in depth about it? I could get one or two at 55 each and am wondering if it's an easy yes or not worth it? Sorta feels like Orphan barrel Rum (not necessarily and indictment).

It is a really solid sipper, I would say though that it is priced correctly, for a Jamaican rum it doesn't come off as all that funky at all, but it does taste well aged.

18 hours ago, jshleffar said:

That's enough of an endorsement for me to open the wallet!

20 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

It is a really solid sipper, I would say though that it is priced correctly, for a Jamaican rum it doesn't come off as all that funky at all, but it does taste well aged.

What Kevin said. It has enough funk to let you know it's Jamaican, but it's restrained enough that you can sip it for a while without tiring of it. Really tasty stuff and it's a steal for the price you found it at.

Three new Golden Devil releases just hit K&L: http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/klwinescom-spirits-blog/2017/12/11/the-devil-returns.html

I'll definitely pick up a bottle of the Bellevue and Dark Overproof. I really want a bottle of the Enmore as well but that's a bit more than I usually invest in a single bottle. Decisions, decisions.

10 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

Three new Golden Devil releases just hit K&L: http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/klwinescom-spirits-blog/2017/12/11/the-devil-returns.html

I'll definitely pick up a bottle of the Bellevue and Dark Overproof. I really want a bottle of the Enmore as well but that's a bit more than I usually invest in a single bottle. Decisions, decisions.

I'll be interested to hear how the Bellevue is. I jumped on the Enmore because we just don't get much pot-still uncut Demerara in the US. The price is silly, though.

1 hour ago, Lucid said:

I'll be interested to hear how the Bellevue is. I jumped on the Enmore because we just don't get much pot-still uncut Demerara in the US. The price is silly, though.

As crazy as $200 seems, I think that's now the going rate for something like this. The Enmores from the Kill Devil range on Master of Malt run about $160 but those are almost certainly column-distilled and they're cut to 46% ABV. Cadenhead's put out a 26yo pot-distilled Enmore and charged $200 for it.

I'll post some notes when I open the Bellevue. Please let us know how the Enmore is as well.

2 hours ago, Kpiz said:

Ditto to all of this. I just put in the same order. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.