Gin forum

spence21989
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Any other gin lovers out there? I really enjoy gin and, unlike most microdistilled whiskey, I think that a lot of the microdistilled gins are a great value. Leopold's Gin is a favorite of mine and I have been itching to try their new Navy Strength Gin. Rob's Mtn. Gin is another great local one from Boulder. The gin industry has really been in a boom lately and its fun to see how much the gin shelves at liquor stores have grown.

I love gin, but I mostly enjoy the old standards: Beefeater, Bombay, Tanqueray, in that order. And I mean just the standard bottlings, too.

Tim

My wife is English and a big gin lover, so we tend to throw back a fair number of gin and tonics during the summer. She's gotten hooked on Tanqueray Rangpur in recent years but used to be a dedicated Boodles drinker (reportedly Winston Churchill's gin of choice). I'm happy with most brand name gins in my g&t's as long as they are made right.

I've been drinking more bourbon and rye, but summer is coming, which for me means refreshing gin and tonics. I also like gin martinis (three giant olives, don't be scared of the vermouth!).

Currently open in my bar is a bottle of Hendricks for martinis, and a bottle of Tanqueray for tonics. The lliter of Tanq was discovered only a few weeks ago in a box from when I moved in 2009... serendipity!

I like many of the craft distillery offerings. Since startup business plans generally involve selling unaged (or very short-aged) spirits, gin is a distinctive product they can get right out the door and start making a profit on (most of them make vodka, but I still don't get the market for unflavored GNS in a fancy bottle, but it seems to keep the craft people in business).

Berkshire Mountain Distillers is in Western Mass, and they produce a great everyday pour, Greylock Gin (80 pf), local to me costing around $26/750ml. They also make a fantastic limited-edition Ethereal Gin (86pf), where they change the recipe every once in a while, costing around $35/750ml.

I rarely drink gin neat (only for tasting purposes) but almost always drink my gin with tonic. It really is a fantastically simple drink to make and can be very complex depending on the gin.

Bombay sapphire is what really got me into gin but I have also enjoyed other gins from the big guys like the tangurary rangpur and recently i have really enjoyed Hendricks.

Kalessin, I will be in that are this summer so I may try to find a bottle of the Berkshire gin. Is it widely available in most stores in MA? Do you know about VT and NY?

I've been wanting to try to make my own tonic as I have a full kegging system from homebrewing. has anyone done this and have a trusted recipe?

I do like a martini from time to time. I got a huge handle of Bombay Saphire gin and a 350ml of Tanquray regular. I have to say i perfer Bombay.

A lot of people i know have been trying to get me to try Hendrix, but the thought of cucumbers stops me :(

I like regular Bombay for martini's and Bombay Sapphire for Gin & Tonic's. I want to try Plymouth for martini's. I've read that it is pretty good stuff.

The Berkshire Mountain gins can be found all over Massachusetts, and most likely southern VT and eastern upstate NY. I can be of help with specific stores in many areas of MA, and I think the NH state liquor stores carry it.

When I discovered Leopold's gin, I went through a little phase of drinking it on the rocks with a couple garlic olives. Outstanding stuff! I love Plymouth in a martini. Unfortunately, I have found that gin goes right to my head, and that is something my wife cannot tolerate.

I still have an unopened bottle of Leopold's in my cabinet. I don't like mixing gin and whiskey in the same night, and I just haven't had the heart to cut the brown out of the mix on a drinking night, so my gins have remained untouched for quite a while at this point.

I'm with you Aaron, one of my rock solid rules is not to mix the clear and the brown on the same night. So, I have bourbon nights, and martini nights! the Leopold's and Berkshire mountain gins mentioned earlier are very good; Plymouth, Hendrick's, and Bombay (white) are my keep-around selections. For me, I stay away from the heavy Juniper, spicy gins; but if you like that kind, check out Junipero from SF and Bluecoat from Philly, both excellent in that category. #209 from SF fits more into the smooth, floral style I prefer, and is a regular favorite. Citadel also makes a nice gin, and they also bottle a slightly aged expression, which adds a whole new dimension. Sunset Hills from Bowman is smooth, but a little on the thin side; doesn't bring quite enough to the party. Smooth Ambler gin is...a work in progress (John, if you read this, don't hate me!) There is also a new gin called the Botanist that is from Bruichladdich; I've tasted in a bar and it was phenomenal. My first bottle is en route as we speak. Now, all these recommendations are purely from the martini perspective; they could completely change in when added to tonic or other cocktails, so individual results may vary.

Citadel also makes a nice gin

I just finished a bottle of this a few nights ago. It was decent and I would consider replacing it if I found it on sale (it's already pretty cheap - 24 bucks IRRC). That said, I'm also in no rush to go out to the store and get another.

This distiller at Roundhouse spirits told me that if I enjoyed citadel then I should try Magellan and that magellan blows citadel out of the water.

There is also a new gin called the Botanist that is from Bruichladdich; I've tasted in a bar and it was phenomenal. My first bottle is en route as we speak.

Saw this at the store yesterday and was intrigued. I received a $5 off coupon while I was there for any product so I think I will go back for a bottle of this.

Hey John, have you decided whether or not to bottle any of your aged gin? I found that to be quite interesting.

I have entirely switched over to Citadel from Tanqueray for GnT's. I just enjoy the flavor more. I have really been lovinig on the Corsair as a sipper with a simple squeeze of lime.

picked up a bottle of bluecoat Gin from philladelphia distilling company. It made a great g&t with fevertree tonic water. Highly recommended and the bottle is beautiful.

We have bottled the barrel aged gin. It comes out in 4-5 days. It's also a bit higher in proof (99 proof) than our Greenbrier Gin (80 proof), which I think helps quite a bit.

For the past few years, it's been mostly Bombay Sapphire for martinis (kept in the freezer). Also Hendricks, Tanq 10.

Occasional Northshore Distillery Gin #6 and Broker's.

Recently, I tried the Bluecoat from Philly and really liked it.

Also been drinking some Botanist from Islay.

A friend gave me a sample of Death's Door, but I haven't tried it yet.

been using St. Agur blue cheese (Whole Foods) to stuff my own olives.

Martini and Dolin dry vermouth.

So I have now thoroughly sampled (from a martini perspective at least) the Botanist, and another gin I ordered, Martin Millers; and I can recommend both very highly if your tastes run as mine do to the more floral, less juniper heavy taste profiles.

I do like a martini from time to time. I got a huge handle of Bombay Saphire gin and a 350ml of Tanquray regular. I have to say i perfer Bombay.

A lot of people i know have been trying to get me to try Hendrix, but the thought of cucumbers stops me :(

I am not a fan of eating cucumbers, but I have produced 2 different gin recipes and both have included real cucumbers, I am told hendricks uses an essence. You do not really taste cucumber in gin. It adds a coolness that seems to work best in gin and tonic.

• I like it 1

I am not a fan of eating cucumbers, but I have produced 2 different gin recipes and both have included real cucumbers, I am told hendricks uses an essence. You do not really taste cucumber in gin. It adds a coolness that seems to work best in gin and tonic.

The coolness isn't too shabby in a martini either... :)

Sampled the Smooth Ambler aged gin, with interesting results. It had a very interesting note in the nose, which I was unable to identify (yet). It really lights up the tongue, partly from alcohol, but with flavor as well. The little things that put me off the standard version are removed by the wood. It makes a pleasant, but different, sipping gin. In a martini, however, it lost something. Not bad, it just didn't work well with the vermouth. I might need to cut my ratio down and play with it. Overall, well worth picking up and checking out. Thnaks John!

• 4 weeks later...

friend returned my bottle (that I gave him with the Botanist) full of Death's Door. Recommended a G&T. Refreshing on a humid 90+ day

IMAG0912.jpg

How is the Death's Door? Does it fall more towards juniper/spicy or smooth/floral?

It's more juniper/spicy, as it doesn't contain the floral/citrus ingredients that feature prominently in some other gins. It isn't as punch-you-in-the-face juniper-forward as some gins, but has a more subtle taste.

It isn't in the top tier of my gin hierarchy, but isn't bad. I probably won't buy another bottle given how many other better gins I've had.

If I am drinking it straight or on the rocks on a hot summer day, I really like Millers. It is clean and crisp with a great cool mouth feel. I also like Hendricks. If I am going to reach for anything, it is generally corsair gin, but as you could imagine, I am a bit partial. I think Bluecoat and Citadel are more marketing than taste. I think Rouge Gin is the worst stuff I have ever tasted.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.