Gin forum

spence21989
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've got a collection going:

- Martin Miller's

- Martin Miller's Westbourne (my favorite)

- Hendrick's

- Plymouth

- Plymouth Navy Strength

- Ransom Old Tom

- Junipero

- Beefeaters

- The Botanist

- Voyager

- Gordon's

This is just from memory, might be missing some.

• 6 months later...

first martinis of the fall

IMG_20131008_180541_784-1_zps572c027b.jpgIMG_20131009_190637_009-1_zps3e97334f.jpg

homemade blue cheese stuffed olives--yes, I know, it borders on being an hors d'oeuvre

both Bombay Sapphire, Dolin dry vermouth. #2 dirty.

Gonna try one with The Botanist soon

St George Dry Rye Gin...don't think I can recommend this for anything.

• 3 weeks later...

Sipsmith, a new London artisan gin. It is slightly sweet with excellent aromatics and taste, I think orange of some kind is a defining flavour or at least working closely with the indispensable juniper. Funny thing is, it reminds me very much of my current personal gin blend, comprised of about 15 gins and a genever or two. I think many people couldn't tell them apart blind.

I like the Sipsmsith much better than another new London brand stored a very short time in scotch whisky casks. Can't recall the name for now. Decent gin but the Sipsmith shows much more form and depth IMO.

Gary

• 2 months later...

I just picked up a Bottle of Bulldog Gin today. It is very good, and I'm surprised I like it. Gin isn't really my usual, but this is very nice, and moderately priced.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't believe I've ever had a gin & tonic before (unless it was at a party in my early 20s), so I thought I might try one. My neighbor has a bottle of Gordon's and a bottle of Bombay Sapphire on hand but he drinks his with 7UP, so I'll need to pick up tonic water. Are all tonic waters pretty much the same or should I look for something specific?

I don't believe I've ever had a gin & tonic before (unless it was at a party in my early 20s), so I thought I might try one. My neighbor has a bottle of Gordon's and a bottle of Bombay Sapphire on hand but he drinks his with 7UP, so I'll need to pick up tonic water. Are all tonic waters pretty much the same or should I look for something specific?

Some will say any old tonic will do but others feel there are significant differences. At home I have used Fever Tree, both the Indian and when I can find it the Mediterranean style, to good success based on the results of this taste test from 2012.

Among the less expensive typical brands I find Canada Dry works well although it is much less "tonic-y" and more like club soda to me with a more mild flavor. It might be a good choice if you are using a particularly flavorful or delicate gin where you want the gin to stand out. Hendricks for example.

G&T is not typically considered a cold weather cocktail unless you are just trying to convince yourself it is summer!

For me the flavor profile of the Gin counts more than the brand of tonic. Gordons has a fuller style that mixes well with the standard tonic brands so I would get the one on sale. Add a quarter of fresh lime and you'll be transported to the beach no matter how hard the wind howls.

Thanks for the info everyone. I've been reading about this Rangpur style. Is that worth trying in a gin & tonic or should I just stick with the London?

Certainly worth trying though being mindful Rangpour is basically lime flavored gin with a dash of ginger. These flavored gins are typically lower proof as well so I would buy the regular strength stuff then add my own ginger ale and lime.

Gilbeys had a lime flavor gin back in the late 60s that I used to buy for a girlfriend until I learned to fix my own. If I were trying to impress a young lady today I'd buy the Tanqueray version.

Thanks for the info everyone. I've been reading about this Rangpur style. Is that worth trying in a gin & tonic or should I just stick with the London?

I like Tanq in general and think both Rangpur and Malacca are interesting less dry gins. Malacca is 80 pf I think while Rangpur is the same as standard Tanq. Rangpur is more lime flavor but still different with some more herbal notes than the Tanq 10 which is also citrus-y. Malacca is also citrus-y but not so much lime.

Both Malacca and Rangpur work well as a variation in lighter gin based cocktails like G&T but tend to get lost in a cocktail with heavier ingredients to me.

And if you want some added lime through it in there! And maybe a dash of bitters? What the heck, go for it!

Edited by tanstaafl2

I believe Rangpur comes in three strengths, 80, 86.2 and 94.6. The only one I've seen is the 80.

I believe Rangpur comes in three strengths, 80, 86.2 and 94.6. The only one I've seen is the 80.

Those are the proofs for the standard Tanqueray in different locations I believe.

Only Rangpur I have seen is the 82.4 proof which is the one I have. But certainly could be others. I have had it awhile so perhaps the proof has been cut to 80. The standard Tanq is usually 94.6 in the US so I suppose there could be a Rangpur at this strength too but I've never seen it.

I will have to check the shelf the next time I am out to satisfy my curiosity!

Come to think of it the one I'm referring to probably was 82.4, didn't give it much thought at the time, just seem to remember thinking another watered down flavored thing.

I usually buy Beefeaters but don't really have any brand loyalty when it comes to gin. I did quit buying Bombay though when they dropped the proof from 94 to 86.

• 3 weeks later...

first one of these in a while. Bombay Sapphire Dirty Martini. Dolin Dry Vermouth. Dirty Sue Olive Juice. stuffed the olives with Castello Rosenborg Danish Blue Cheese (not the softest cheese, but easily doable). I know, it borders on being an hors d'oeuvre.

The gin was in the fridge in the garage where it's about 20 degrees (F). Nice ice shards floating on the martini.

b401b1a6-e84e-449f-bb6a-f2bd6097696f_zpse9d1a912.jpg

had to refill the bottle from the big one in the bunker

c4b76ded-c442-428a-9451-020248f8cd54_zps9ee148a7.jpg

Had a sample of a new to me gin yesterday. Called Bummers & Lazarus. Made in San Francico on Treasue Island it appears out of grapes (essentially a brandy base that is then redistilled with the botanicals). Not sure what the botanical formula is but juniper is definitely not the primary flavoring. Reallly unusual flavor, maybe a bit like Hendricks but not really like anything I have had before. I suppose given the lack of readily apparent juniper influence this was almost a botanical vodka. But that is pretty much what gin is anyway!

post-8493-14489820422268_thumb.jpg

Juniper is the defining characteristic of gin and lacking that it is just flavored vodka. This one appears as though they thunk up the label first and made something to fill the bottle later. That or they just don't know how to make gin, sometimes the term craft distiller refers to marketing acumen rather than distilling skill.

Juniper is the defining characteristic of gin and lacking that it is just flavored vodka. This one appears as though they thunk up the label first and made something to fill the bottle later. That or they just don't know how to make gin, sometimes the term craft distiller refers to marketing acumen rather than distilling skill.

I think there's a small movement among the micros to get around the tasteless, odorless, colorless requirements of vodka by instead making a gin that's not so gin.

I'm not sure I should be touting a non-bourbon blog on SB, but I've been reading gin reviews at theginisin.com for a couple years now. While I drink bourbons year round, my wife likes gin drinks in the summer. We got tired of basic London drys and have added in genevers, Plymouth, and Old Tom - still drink the London drys but not so much. theginisin reference is here because it recently mentioned how some aged gins are taking on a brown color, and how some craft gins are experimenting with different flavors, some of which approach whiskey profiles. F'rinstance, GreenHat gin here in WashDC has "seasonal" releases that match botanicals to the weather, sort of. In no way will it be mistaken for Gilbeys but I find it an interesting break from bourbon. Another info source: the book The Drunken Botanist is all about how distilled spirits including whiskeys are made and flavored. It gave me a better appreciation of the art and science behind my favorite spirits which is one reason I ended up at SB - so much to absorb from you all. As a bourbon lover, I like the move by craft distillers to experimenting with their products until their whiskeys are properly aged. If they take care of their gins, I expect they'll take care of their whiskeys.

I'd say this is somewhat distinct from flavored vodka; presumably they're using botanicals in a gin basket in the still and not just adding flavor to vodka.

Of course Jim but isn't running base spirit vapor through a botanical basket essentially flavoring vodka? What I'm talking about is producing a near gin that could have a wider use in cocktails than a traditional gin.

• 2 weeks later...

So I just sort of stumbled in here while drinking a gin and tonic, figured I'd add my input. While I do not drink gin neat, I do have a weakness for two gin-based cocktails: Gin & Tonic and Tom Collins. Sure, I experiment with other gin-based cocktails from time to time, but those are the two that I come back to, time and again. Primarily the Gin and Tonic. I haven't really nailed down a great Tom Collins recipe yet, but I do have a couple standby recipes for G&T. The first uses 1 oz Jack Rudy Tonic Syrup, 2 oz Gin, and 4 oz club soda. This works when I'm the mood for a mild G&T, or when I'm not pissed off by the fact that the creator of Jack Rudy Cocktail Co. is a huge d-bag. I should know, I've known for nearly 20 years. If I want a more bitter G&T, I usually use 4oz of Fentiman's tonic water + .25 oz Jack Rudy along with my 2 oz of gin.

Speaking of gin, I have not tried a ton: Tanqueray regular and Malacca, Bombay Sapphire, The Botanist Islay Dry Gin, and Citadelle. So far Citadelle is my favorite at any price, and the price also makes it my value pick.

So I just sort of stumbled in here while drinking a gin and tonic, figured I'd add my input. While I do not drink gin neat, I do have a weakness for two gin-based cocktails: Gin & Tonic and Tom Collins. Sure, I experiment with other gin-based cocktails from time to time, but those are the two that I come back to, time and again. Primarily the Gin and Tonic. I haven't really nailed down a great Tom Collins recipe yet, but I do have a couple standby recipes for G&T. The first uses 1 oz Jack Rudy Tonic Syrup, 2 oz Gin, and 4 oz club soda. This works when I'm the mood for a mild G&T, or when I'm not pissed off by the fact that the creator of Jack Rudy Cocktail Co. is a huge d-bag. I should know, I've known for nearly 20 years. If I want a more bitter G&T, I usually use 4oz of Fentiman's tonic water + .25 oz Jack Rudy along with my 2 oz of gin.

Speaking of gin, I have not tried a ton: Tanqueray regular and Malacca, Bombay Sapphire, The Botanist Islay Dry Gin, and Citadelle. So far Citadelle is my favorite at any price, and the price also makes it my value pick.

If you are of an "adventurous" nature :cool: then you might want to consider trying genever to make an "original" Tom Collins!

http://cocktailvirgin.blogspot.com/2009/08/original-collins.html

Geoff at Drink Spirits also wrote about it.

http://www.drinkspirits.com/genever/exploring-genever-bols-genever/

I rather prefer them to the typical Tom Collins. I suggest starting with Bols genever which is generally pretty available and I think quite good.

Edited by tanstaafl2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.