Hirsch 8yr Canadian Rye

boneuphtoner
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Saw this on the shelf at my local store. Has anyone ever tried it? They're asking $45 for it, which is the upper end of what I would normally spend on any whiskey, period.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you like Canadian whisky? Do you drink a lot of Canadian Club or Crown Royal? You can get pretty high up into those lines for $45. Sazerac has some up market Canadians. Their single barrel, Caribou Crossing, is in that price range and their Royal Canadian is only $19.99.

I haven't had any of the Hirsch Canadians (I think there are more than one). I respect the company (i.e., Anchor), so I would expect them to be good from that standpoint. I tend to be less interested in whiskeys from non-distiller producers. I prefer to know who made it. So that's a turn-off for me.

I respect Fritz Maytag and Henry Preiss. The new owners of Anchor/Preiss? Not so sure.

I respect Fritz Maytag and Henry Preiss. The new owners of Anchor/Preiss? Not so sure.

I had it at a tasting awhile back and wasn't real impressed. Its perhaps not fair to judge it based on one drink at a tasting, but for that price I would probably pass, especially if that is the upper end of what you want to spend. I hate splurging on something and being disappointed.

Do you like Canadian whisky? Do you drink a lot of Canadian Club or Crown Royal?

Canadian Whisky is barely okay to me, and certainly very light and thin to my palate. If this stuff is anything close to Canadian Club or Crown Royal, I will definitely take a pass, especially for the price.

Thanks for the warning!!!

Canadian Whisky is barely okay to me, and certainly very light and thin to my palate. If this stuff is anything close to Canadian Club or Crown Royal, I will definitely take a pass, especially for the price.

Thanks for the warning!!!

I haven't tried it but it's bound to be in that style.

Preiss is now owned by Tony Foglio (the guy behind Skyy Vodka, which he sold to Campari Group). He also bought Anchor Brewing & Distilling with a minority share being owned by Barry Bros. in the UK.

Fritz is completely out of the business, and Henry will probably leave the company within a year.

Preiss is now owned by Tony Foglio (the guy behind Skyy Vodka, which he sold to Campari Group). He also bought Anchor Brewing & Distilling with a minority share being owned by Barry Bros. in the UK.

Fritz is completely out of the business, and Henry will probably leave the company within a year.

Exactly, and that's why I'm leery. Springbank has already jumped ship. I wonder who's next.

Who has Springbank now?

I heard from a good source over the weekend that Fritz still comes around from time to time but is essentially out of the business.

The other player is Keith Greggor, whose background is similar to Foglio's. Skyy was started by Michael Kanbar.

Who has Springbank now?

I heard from a good source over the weekend that Fritz still comes around from time to time but is essentially out of the business.

The other player is Keith Greggor, whose background is similar to Foglio's. Skyy was started by Michael Kanbar.

Springbank is now with Pacific Edge.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.