BBQ.... what is your weapon of choice?

cigarnv
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I really enjoy making true low and slow BBQ throughout the year but great spring weather really calls for it. I was curious as to who here on SB cooks BBQ (not grilling) and what they cook on. Over the years I have owned just about every cooker known to man.... as my wife will attest to.

Currently I am using a pair of Big Green Eggs as well as a Cookshack Amerique. Both are great devices.... and have their place in my BBQ world. The BGE's do a great job especially when used with a BBQ Guru for long smokes.... downside is limited capacity. The Amerique many BBQ folks would dis as it is not wood fired... yet it turns out better BBQ than 50% of the entries I judge in competition.

So what are you using for cooking your low and slow BBQ?

I am apparently not in your league. But I can make some damned good barbecue.

I use an old, large CharBroil charcoal grill, made when they still had the heavy cast iron grates (ca 1989). I usually just build a large fire on one extreme end of the grill and cook my food on the other end with the lid closed. If I have something I want to cook slower, I have the little smoker fire box accessory.

I almost always smoke with hickory from my own trees, sometimes cherry or apple, also from my own trees.

I watch the videos of men burning whole trees and cooking split hogs over the embers, but I don't need that much food. My family is only three people, four when my oldest son is home from college. About the biggest thing I ever cook is a Boston butt. And, none of us like turkey, so I never do that.

I would like to have a large Big Green Egg.

Tim

I am apparently not in your league. But I can make some damned good barbecue.

I use an old, large CharBroil charcoal grill, made when they still had the heavy cast iron grates (ca 1989). I usually just build a large fire on one extreme end of the grill and cook my food on the other end with the lid closed. If I have something I want to cook slower, I have the little smoker fire box accessory.

I almost always smoke with hickory from my own trees, sometimes cherry or apple, also from my own trees.

I watch the videos of men burning whole trees and cooking split hogs over the embers, but I don't need that much food. My family is only three people, four when my oldest son is home from college. About the biggest thing I ever cook is a Boston butt. And, none of us like turkey, so I never do that.

I would like to have a large Big Green Egg.

Tim

Tim, LOL!!! not sure what you mean by my league but let me assure you I am in the minors compared to most avid BBQ addicts:grin: . I find it interesting when I judge for KCBS competitions that many of the best cooks are using drum cookers, Weber kettles, Weber Smokey Mountain, old Brinkmans, etc .... the magic is in the cook.... not the equipment in many cases.

Tim, LOL!!! not sure what you mean by my league but let me assure you I am in the minors compared to most avid BBQ addicts:grin: . I find it interesting when I judge for KCBS competitions that many of the best cooks are using drum cookers, Weber kettles, Weber Smokey Mountain, old Brinkmans, etc .... the magic is in the cook.... not the equipment in many cases.

I think you have that right, Reid. The butts that Scott (Callmeox), Thad (Tcomp), and Randy (doubleblank) did at Sampler were not cooked on any special looking contraption. But, those boys made one of the tastiest meals many of us had ever had. Melt in your mouth delicious. I've spent the last several weeks since, pining for September KBF so they can do it again! Yes boys, you've been volunteered!! :D

It's like a car. You can have the most tricked up ride on the road, but if you don't know how to drive it, it's worthless.

I'm a novice - and a bit on the cheap side as well - but I just got a CharBroil vertical smoker this spring from Wally world. It appealed to me because it wasn't much money, is gas fired, and has a drawer system to make adding more wood easy. I already had the gas cylinders for the regular grill - and I like that gas lets me have a consistent heat for a long smoke.

The ribs I've done have been incredible - nice smoke ring - very moist - and I can hang quite a few full racks in there at one time. I'll be smoking ribs and chickens this weekend and can hardly wait..

It's not built to hand down to my kids or anything, but I have no doubt that it'll produce a lot of great, smokey meat and let me figure out what I like or don't like before spending a lot more on a better unit.

I have a CookShack Smokette II that got me started. It's electric and very handy in the sense where as far as smokers go its a set it and forget it. If I'm doing something that will take a long time I'll use that so I can get up early, turn it on, and go back to bed!

Otherwise more often than not I use my Weber Kettle with the Smokenator 1000 insert. I like the results I get from it and I can also use it as a grill so I get to double dip!

http://www.smokenator.com/

I BBQ on an older style 18" Weber Smokey Mountain (like the one Thad brought to Bardstown) and I've had great success with ribs and shoulder. I need to attend Randy's Brisket Boot Camp one of these days as my efforts there have been substandard.

I recenly cured and smoked a beautiful skin on pork belly for bacon and it turned out very tasty.

I've used just apple and cherry for smoking until I was recently hooked up with some pecan chunks by Wadewood. The bacon was done in a combo of apple and pecan and wasn't overpowering.

For quick smokes like fatties or stuffed jalapeños, I use an 18" Weber charcoal grill with good results.

I have a large BGE, which I love. With that said, if I had it to do over again, I might get a Primo, which is essentially the same thing with more surface area. It is oval.

I have a big flower pot and a hot plate. No joke. Does pretty well. It's big enough to do just about all I need it to do. Brisket, a rack of baby back or spare ribs (cut into two pieces), sausage, even done chicken, turkey legs, and cornish hen. A whole pork shoulder is pushing it, but a half is usually no problem.

It's just me, the wife and the baby, so we always have plenty of leftovers. My favorite is pulled pork tacos. Just wrap some pork in corn tortillas with some salsa verde and Mexican cheese. Simple but very good.

I will occasionally smoke a corned beef brisket. When I first did it I was trying to replicate Pastrami. It doesn't really taste like pastrami, but it does taste good.

For wood I like to mix it up. I am currently using a mix of apple and oak. Good combo so far.

18 in. Weber bullet. Hasty-Bake Gourmet. The Hasty-Bake is more of a griller but in a pinch you can smoke on it. Really burns through fuel though. The best thing about these cookers is they're being used in a fourth-floor walk-up studio apartment in Manhattan.

Also at other sites I have a couple of Cook n Kettles. I would love to get more time with these cookers but they're simply too heavy to drag upstairs and onto the terrace. And of course, there's no room.

Cooking with fire is one of life's ancient pleasures. To borrow a phrase from knife-maker Bob Loveless, it really takes you "back to the cave".

just a novice on the smoking side, and don't have a purpose built smoker; but have been using a standard Weber Professional since last summer. Mostly ribs so far with pretty good results. attempting a brisket this weekend. Something different that has turned out great every time is smoked bluefish; I'll be doing that this weekend as well.

just a novice on the smoking side, and don't have a purpose built smoker; but have been using a standard Weber Professional since last summer. Mostly ribs so far with pretty good results. attempting a brisket this weekend. Something different that has turned out great every time is smoked bluefish; I'll be doing that this weekend as well.

Smoked whitefish is an Up North favorite here in Michigan. Been hoping to give that a try soon, but the bluefish sounds great too!

I'm a fan of my Brinkman gas fired unit.

My secret is (was) to use really low flame and supplement with chunk wood in the lava rock tray.

I'm working on a design for a larger unit to smoke eels and fish. (Maybe a slab of bacon or a pastrami)

Cinder block base and doghouse style smoking shack.

Hurricane Irene has blessed my area with tons of hardwood and I've been splitting and stacking since last August.

Bought a Char-griller Akorn (BGE wannabe) a couple of months ago. Butts, chickens, steaks and burgers have been delicious. Will probably fire up some ribs this weekend.

I use a Brinkmann electric smoker. Cooked up a brisket for the derby that was delicious. While the equipment is certainly important, I agree that preparation and care while cooking are more important.

I have a Chargriller Professional model Charcoal of course! ..4 years old. I love it. I don't have the smoke side box attachment I just do indirect heat with lots of Pecan and Hickory. I cook a lot, of burgers, steaks, and chops as well as fajitas and carnitas. I smoke pork butts and whole chickens. I don't really do briskets too often.

I BBQ on an older style 18" Weber Smokey Mountain (like the one Thad brought to Bardstown) and I've had great success with ribs and shoulder. I need to attend Randy's Brisket Boot Camp one of these days as my efforts there have been substandard.

I've used just apple and cherry for smoking until I was recently hooked up with some pecan chunks by Wadewood. The bacon was done in a combo of apple and pecan and wasn't overpowering.

For quick smokes like fatties or stuffed jalapeños, I use an 18" Weber charcoal grill with good results.

Brinkman horizontal smoker with off-set firebox. I mostly do shoulder(8hrs) and pork spare ribs(4hrs). I use hardwood charcoal and hickory. My shoulder is N.C. Vinegar only, and my ribs are either dry Memphis, or Asian.

Great thread, BTW!

Would love to try some of this when I find myself another career and have some money. Any tips from the BGE and Primo fans on where to go to learn more about how to use them and the BBQ Guru?

I have always cooked outside with just a gas grill but love me some BBQ.

Best regards, Tony

I use a weber kettle (21.5") for most if my bbq'ing. Very much a beginner but like others have had great success with ribs and pork shoulder. Probably going to throw a brisket note grill this weekend for memorial day party. For those interested check out this website that I have found to be very educational:

Http://www.amazingribs.com.

I was gifted a Brinkman upright, I think it's a Smoke & Grill Deluxe, about 5 years ago. That thing is just amazing what you can turn out. Charcoal fired, and I'm a White Oak addict, the others just don't give me enough smoke flavor. It helps that my neighbor loves hunting wild hogs, and I have no problem tossing stuff on the smoker to cook, hams and 3' loins are the norm.

This weekend will be a brisket for dinner, ribs and bratwurst for lunch! I love smoking sausages, they're quick and very tasty.

I use a Webber kettle 21" for grilling, and I love that too.

See Scott...another way we're alike. I too use a 18" WSM for ribs and shoulder but I'm lacking in the brisket quality.

That's so synchronous, we're damn near twins Bob. I also have a Weber Genesis gasser for quick cooks.

Does the TP roll in the Hectic household roll over the top or come under from the back?

That's so synchronous, we're damn near twins Bob. I also have a Weber Genesis gasser for quick cooks.

Does the TP roll in the Hectic household roll over the top or come under from the back?

It comes over the top so the extra TP doesn't roll to the floor...doesn't everyone mount TP rolls this way?

It comes over the top so the extra TP doesn't roll to the floor...doesn't everyone mount TP rolls this way?

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

We need to stop. I'm getting freaked out.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.