Sour month!

callmeox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have a bunch of partial bottles that need to be consumed to make room for new stuff, so I thought I would declare June as bourbon sour month in order to expedite the process.

What's your favorite sour recipe?

I typically add 2 parts bourbon, 1 part lemon juice and 1 part simple syrup to a shaker and shake the heck out of it.

I don't always have fresh squeezed lemon handy, but I found that the Minute Maid lemon juice in the freezer section is a nice substitute for the real thing.

Great idea! I haven't had a bourbon sour in years and June seems like the perfect time for a revisit.

This weather does lend itself to sours, but it would also be a good time to start barrel aging manhattans. Great way to use up a bunch of open bottles.

I prefer a Stone Sour which where you substitute half of your sour mix with orange juice

I've been making blackberry bourbon sours lately. Bourbon, fresh lemon juice, seedless blackberry preserves in the shaker with a few cubes of ice. Shake well and pour over ice in an old fashioned glass. An excellent summer beverage.

I've been making blackberry bourbon sours lately. Bourbon, fresh lemon juice, seedless blackberry preserves in the shaker with a few cubes of ice. Shake well and pour over ice in an old fashioned glass. An excellent summer beverage.

Have you experimented with other types of preserves? I'm wondering if other fruits would work well in a sour.

Not yet, but I have some peach preserves I'm going to try next.

I always add egg white to my sours.

Easiest way is commercially available product called Frothee.

Next is pasteurized egg white in dairy case

Third is separate egg white from raw egg (Health risk)

Adds a body and longstandingn foamy head.

Garnish is key.

Pitted or maraschino cherry, slice of orange or lemon.

Day 1 complete:

Knob Single barrel, a tiny splash of Stirrings Blood Orange bitters along with the standard recipe. Shake the crap out of it and it's a tasty sour.

I like adding egg white as pepcycle recommends. I always use regular egg white but I do a dry shake before adding ice. I hope the booze kills any bad stuff that might be in there. So far, at least, I've been okay. :) I use a 4:3 syrup-to-lemon-juice ratio, though.

Totally bummed that I need to suspend my participation in Sour Month due to a health issue. No alcohol for me for a couple weeks. :smiley_acbt:

Bummer Ox. and just when hittin your sour stride.

Hopefully nothing too serious and you'll be back doin some serious sippin in a week or so.

Totally bummed that I need to suspend my participation in Sour Month due to a health issue. No alcohol for me for a couple weeks. :smiley_acbt:

Sorry to hear it Scott. Hope you have a speedy recovery - the place just wouldn't be the same without you!

Bummer Ox. and just when hittin your sour stride.

Hopefully nothing too serious and you'll be back doin some serious sippin in a week or so.

Sorry to hear it Scott. Hope you have a speedy recovery - the place just wouldn't be the same without you!

Thanks guys, just a temporary setback that is only impacting my consumption and not my participation here. :grin:

I wasn't fishing for a pity party, I was just explaining my lack of Sour Month posts but I appreciate the well wishes.

Keep your wienny where it's supposed to be and you wouldn't have these problems. :slappin:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.