Four Roses LE Small Batch 2012

callmeox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I don't get the broughaha over this release.

For my taste, without any water added, it's just OK. Solid B-....Lacks have the depth of flavor or finish of the Single Barrel 2012.

Anyway, I bought into the hype, as usual, and went in for two.

Edited by callmeox
Mentioned the unmentionable

Well if you're giving it away...

It's odd I guess, but with the standard releases I'm single barrel all the way. But when it comes to the limiteds I almost always prefer the small batch.

My fault, I guess. Usually I will try a bottle to see if I like it before I buy multiples.

Also, after sipping on Staggs, WLWs, and Ardbegs over the last couple weeks, it might be that I've gotten used to brutish whiskey and am having trouble readjusting to the more subtle Four Roses profile.

I'm with you Trey. I tried some a few days ago, and while it is good, it doesn't scream bunker me.

Well if you're giving it away...

It's odd I guess, but with the standard releases I'm single barrel all the way. But when it comes to the limiteds I almost always prefer the small batch.

I've come to that conclusion, as well.

I don't get the broughaha over this release.

For my taste, without any water added, it's just OK. Solid B-....Lacks have the depth of flavor or finish of the Single Barrel 2012.

Anyway, I bought into the hype, as usual, and went in for two.

I'm with you Trey. I tried some a few days ago, and while it is good, it doesn't scream bunker me.
I've come to that conclusion, as well.

Contrarians...all of you...as I can be :grin:. Though two pours into this one and I get the brouhaha myself. It has this tropical-coconut thing going on at the end that grabs me in its own unique way. There are plenty of 4R cask single barrels as good in their own way though too.

Edited by callmeox
Cleaned up a quoted post

Must.....find.....some.....in.....Indiana......

Lol

It's killing me reading all these reviews and not having a taste yet myself. :P

Just tried my first pour. My first reaction is I do not think that I've ever had a more enjoyable pour than this. It has everything that I like about the standard single barrel product taken up a notch or two...more intense fruits and spiciness, but yet so approachable and so delicious!!!! In terms of enjoyability, it is at least the equal of the very best JPS 18 and WLW I still have....and the Pappy 20 I've tried in a bar.

I find it to be worthy of the praise. It's my favorite LE release since the 2009 Mariage. I'm looking forward to doing a side-by-side of the two.

I finally bought the 2012 FR small batch limited edition after going through the yearly pain in the ass search for BTAC, VW and even Parker's Heritage.

I've gotta say that I like this whiskey to the point of calling it my favorite new release of the year. It's great neat, even better with a tiny bit of water.

My second favorite bourbon every, probably. Can't praise it enough. Did a side-by-side with the 2009 Mariage and I would say the 2009 is slightly better, but they're so different it's almost apples and oranges.

I loved the 2012 Single Barrel too. Still want to do a head to head with those two.

Honestly I thought the golden age of Four Roses was coming to a close until this year, but these two left me gobsmacked. If anything, the hype doesn't do it justice. Anybody displeased with their bottles, please send them to me. I'll drink all you got.

Hidden
My second favorite bourbon every, probably. Can't praise it enough. Did a side-by-side with the 2009 Mariage and I would say the 2009 is slightly better, but they're so different it's almost apples and oranges.

I loved the 2012 Single Barrel too. Still want to do a head to head with those two.

Honestly I thought the golden age of Four Roses was coming to a close until this year, but these two left me gobsmacked. If anything, the hype doesn't do it justice. Anybody displeased with their bottles, please send them to me. I'll drink all you got.

Honestly I thought the golden age of Four Roses was coming to a close until this year

I'm curious as to why you thought this, Josh. Please explain. Not being snarky, but I tend to think 4R is just getting started.

I'm curious as to why you thought this, Josh. Please explain. Not being snarky, but I tend to think 4R is just getting started.

It was mainly because of the 2010 and 2011 Ltd Ed releases. They were good, but I didn't think they were as good as the ones in previous years. That's why.

With all the hype the VW's and BTAC gather, FR's and their LE's seem to fly under the radar. That's fine with me, makes it that much easier to locate. But not this year. I have gotten one lonely bottle, from TPS. AND, there was a limit of one bottle, unprecedented.

With all the hype the VW's and BTAC gather, FR's and their LE's seem to fly under the radar. That's fine with me, makes it that much easier to locate. But not this year. I have gotten one lonely bottle, from TPS. AND, there was a limit of one bottle, unprecedented.

I hear you Phil. This year is a different story. I have four, well, three and a half now:yum:. Wish I had double that amount.

I have been looking for both the 2012 single barrel as well as the 2012 LE small batch without any sucess. I was at a store in Baton Rouge today to pick up a bottle of bourbon as a gift for my brother. I got him the 4R single barrel (the regular one). I noticed the 2012 single barrel on the shelf next to it. My wife was with me, so I handed her one of those and said that I wanted Santa to give that to me. I was surprised to see that they had another 4 or 5 more of that one. No dice on the 2012 LE small batch though. :(

I take back my dismissal of this bottling.

Sometimes I will sit down with a dram just to be critical of it, for better or worse. I started doing this about the same time I joined this site and started reading whiskey reviews/blogs. I'm finding that I don't have what it takes to be a critic. I need to be drinking to enjoy, not to analyze. I'm also finding that I tend to enjoy whiskey much more after a meal. Not that this is a big revelation to anyone, but working with a clean palette is almost certain to make any whiskey taste like sawdust to me.

That said, I find that this one is well worth buying if you see it. I maintain that it's not "bunker worthy" to me, although I'm not upset I have two bottles.

Did a side-by-side with the 2009 Mariage and I would say the 2009 is slightly better, but they're so different it's almost apples and oranges.

I did the same, and my preference is definitely with the 2009, and second that they are quite different.

Finally tracked down a bottle (thanks, Joe) and spent the holiday weekend with it. This is easily the best bourbon I've had this year, which is saying something given how much I love the 4RLE SB and the PHC 2012.

Neither this one nor the PHC 2012 has yet to make an appearance in west TN. I have a feeling that one large retailer I visit may have some, but, his shelf is still full of 2011 that he probably wants to move out first. Nobody will say so though. They do have SB LE 2012 however.

I was able to get a bottle of this and it goes to show how differnt people like different things. The prevalence of the citrus notes in this really doesn't do it for me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.